PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Gathering, Montana, USA

pampe
10-04-2004, 11:28 AM
OK...so, we need to decide WHEN?

Weather is very uncertain in June.....and after mid-October

So I suggest you keep the ideas between those boundaries.

Please vote for what will work best for you.....and comment as needed.

Rich Williams
10-04-2004, 11:59 AM
I might suggest that you get ahold of Larry first as his time might be a bit tighter, as for me I have nothing at this time to hold me here......

Rich

Roun2it
10-04-2004, 12:03 PM
Voted for after Sept 12th, a few reasons cheaper flights, no kids holidays to think about. Plus expensive wedding earlier in Mauritus in June.

lorna12
10-04-2004, 06:01 PM
I voted for the last week in July, but I'm equally open to anything up to the second week in Sept.

I like the summer months because it would be great to combine the trip with a holiday camping trip with my hubby. :)

pampe
10-04-2004, 08:46 PM
Rich..I have talked to Larry......he is best BEFORE September but could make a long weekend other times...so could still do a 2 day or such.

Thanks for being a good reminder ;)

Pars
10-04-2004, 09:03 PM
I voted for August 15 because it is generally when I take holiday, but I'll be flexible with enuf notice to accommodate the WC members coming from overseas. Kev says flights are less expensive after the 12th and I haven't checked out any air fares this early.

Would any of the East Coasters consider driving? I've done it at a fast but pleasureable pace in 4 days.

CharM
10-04-2004, 09:07 PM
Hiya Pam!!!

I didn't vote because I can/will be open to anything during August... I would like to be home during the first week of September to get Magoo off to school (there's ALWAYS lots to do in preparation...)

Then... if you decide that the meeting is best held in September, I can make arrangements for Magoo to stay in town with friends...

I agree that we don't want to push the envelope into October... this is going to be fun and we don't want to be stressed out because of potential weather problems...

NodakerDeb
10-04-2004, 09:35 PM
OK...so, we need to decide WHEN?

Weather is very uncertain in June.....and after mid-October

So I suggest you keep the ideas between those boundaries.

Please vote for what will work best for you.....and comment as needed.

Pam. I can't do the last two weeks in July. But, as you can see, no time will be the best for everyone, so you must pick a date and those who can make it will, and those who can't will have to live vicariously through email.

Personally, I think July/August is the best bet if you are working for good weather.

Good to have you back Pam.

Deb
P.S. I waved as you flew overhead :)

Cathie Jones
10-04-2004, 10:52 PM
Looks like we're all over the calendar! I voted for after Sept. 12. Glacier Jazz Stampede is 10/7-10/10 this year, probably 10/6-10/9 next year. The week before that is the best time for us because we can combine the two, and the travel expense is a business write-off!

Faafil
10-04-2004, 11:29 PM
I voted for the 1st week of August - because it's smack in the middle. Also, no rush with 4th of July holiday travelers, it's before the Labor Day holiday, and has the best bet of pleasant weather.

I'm flexible, but family reunion is July, and we usually take vacation in September for my b'day.

dspinks
10-05-2004, 02:10 AM
Voted week of August 15. Annual budgeting at work in July, closing fiscal yearend in late August/early September. Grandbaby's birthday August 5. But if we've moved to N. Carolina by then, pretty much wide open, except for grandbaby's BD.

Debra

artmom
10-05-2004, 03:47 AM
Pam, I voted for July 11th, but we are quite flexible. I know it would be difficult for Erin (vestalqueen) to attend after the first of August. She works at the University and also takes classes. Also, I know there are several schoolteachers in the watercolor group. Don't know if that's a considertion.

We'll probably be driving and making a three week or so vacation out of it--while we are that far West and North, we'd like to see Yellowstone and the Tetons, Mt. Rushmore, etc. I was fooling around on the computer tonight, tentatively planning a route that bypasses large cities. :D

Don't want to run into too cold weather for plein air painting, or snow in the mountains.

How many days are you thinking of for the gathering?

Lyn

pampe
10-05-2004, 10:29 AM
Lyn, I was thinking of something like Kington.....a week for those who wish...a weekend for those who want to take Larry's class, maybe...or as long as you want.

People can make their own arrangments for lodging....I will provide a "gathering place" for daily get-togethers and I can make a Plein Aire list of spots

What else?

artmom
10-05-2004, 11:07 AM
Pam, those plans sound good to me. I will be there, barring uncontrollable circumstances. In other words, if the good Lord's willing, and the creek don't rise! LOL

Ed loves to take long driving trips, so he is happy as a clam about the gathering being in Whitefish! Montana is one of the few states he has not been to. When he was in the Air National Guard (36 years), he traveled quite a bit!

Looking forward to our Montana Meeting. :)

Lyn

ktrayn78
10-05-2004, 02:18 PM
Being unemployed, er, self-employed, I'm completely open. I picked August 15th because it sounded like a nice time of the year to be doing this but as long as it will be relatively warm I don't care when it is. Not sure what the financial situation will be like next summer but I'll start saving now because I'd really like to make it to this thing!

pampe
10-08-2004, 11:01 AM
It is great to have a long time to plan...that seemed to help in the KINGTON, England gathering!

I am collecting accommodation, car rental, airline, restaurant and local information to post once we decide on dates!

mustcreate
10-08-2004, 12:29 PM
I have voted for the sept 12 option - but will be happy to come with most of the options :)

soooooooooo looking forward to this....I hope we get a great turn out!!

em

jkook
10-08-2004, 12:35 PM
Pam, I'm retired so anytime is OK with me EXCEPT I think avoiding snow would be a good thing for us southern boys !!!
The tought of seeing Pampe and Em in the same room !? wow, that would be a hoot.
Jim

artmom
10-08-2004, 03:14 PM
Pam, how far out will we be making the final decision on dates?

I want to get reservations settled for Whitefish as soon as the decision is made, as I have trouble with stairs, etc. and want accommodations that are easy to enter and exit!

Hopefully, by next summer, I will be able to get about a bit better. The doc has prescribed physical therapy for my lower back pain and that is the biggest problem I have with getting around. It helped several years ago with my sciatica, so maybe it will do so again!

Whooooeee! I really am getting excited! :D

Lyn

nanphe
10-08-2004, 03:27 PM
I voted for August 15th. Although, we're flexible and could make most dates from July on.

Nancy

Flattwo
10-08-2004, 07:23 PM
Hello All

I would like to wish all of you, no matter what time you chose to go, a fantastic and enriching experience!

Pam, one of my brothers was in Whitefish many years ago when touring that area, he had a great time!

Regards

Flattwo

Christie
10-08-2004, 08:00 PM
IF I can go, July or August would be best. Can't manage September because of the school schedule with the children. Not sure if either of us will be on a deadline at that point, so can't say if going is even a possibility right now.

Sher
10-09-2004, 12:29 AM
I voted Sept 12th in hopes of conditions, finances and Murphy's Law being just right! Oh my...I forgot moon phases!!!!!
Does anyone have a name of a baby sitter willing to sit for nine cats in the Portland area?
:wave:

Christie
10-09-2004, 12:39 AM
Sher, I'm looking for a sitter for three beagles...:D

pampe
10-09-2004, 12:52 AM
Sher...I have a daughter in P-land....we'll talk

Sher
10-09-2004, 01:11 AM
Hi Christie...with a little luck your four legged children are not as old and sick as mine.
One has to have fiber in his wet cat food twice a day.
One has to have thyroid medication once a day.
Two are anti-social and live in a back bedroom and they take anti-spray meds.
One is a cleft palate kitty and gets nasal infections frequently in her only nostril.
I guess I could rent a motor home and take the sickies with me. The anti-socials would have to stay home.
Thanks for the thought Pam......but that is just too much to ask of anyone.
I have a son who lives on the next block but it takes two people to give the anti-spray meds. I'll figure out something if the finances are there.

Montana or Bust!

Faafil
10-09-2004, 11:08 AM
Well, the week of August 8 is definitely out for me now - Joyce & I are signing up for a Betsy Dillard Stroud workshop in San Diego for that week.... any other time in late July or August is good...:) hey, I'm flexible, no matter when it is I'll try to be there ! :D

pampe
10-11-2004, 01:49 PM
ML...you make me :envy: with envy...I would love to do another Stroud experience!!!!

Faafil
10-11-2004, 03:54 PM
Pam, well, we're not "in" yet - it's based on postmark of your deposit. I got the flyer on Friday, we mailed them out on Saturday, but since today is a holiday.... ??? (keeping my fingers crossed). We also are signing up for a week with Chen Kee Chee in April - both are with San Diego Watercolor Society.

Joyce adored Betsy in Pasadena, and it was just demo, so this should really be great....

There are some really great workshops in '05 with SDWS - wish I had the $$ to go to all of them...

laudesan
10-11-2004, 09:59 PM
I voted September 12 as we will have the money then, and the holidays, and it is cheaper airfares for us..

hopefulbucky
10-16-2004, 11:15 AM
I voted for later than 9/12 but the week of would also be good. I was thinking of the changing of the colors. Also feeling that maybe August might be really crowded with tourists particularly at the Park. Once a date is chosen than we will try and fit it in. Would love to be able to come but our first commitment will be to go to Wisconsin for my mother's 85th reunion which I think will be in the beginning of Aug. Not sure.

It should be a great time gathering in Montana and this time I want to be able to stay and actually do some painting.

pampe
10-17-2004, 01:15 PM
well...now I AM wondering...ther's another UK gathering and now an Ontario gathering.....so maybe I should put this on hold????

Rich Williams
10-17-2004, 01:47 PM
I dont think that this should be put on hold for several reasons.

One is that Larry and I will be doing some workshop teaching which they wont be getting at either of the other planned get togethers.

This was the first one up on the list of get togethers and the others were afterthoughts as a result.....

I think every one will enjoy coming to the mountains and this National Park, where they wont get anywhere near as good of scenery at the others.

Rich

Pars
10-17-2004, 02:03 PM
I dont think that this should be put on hold for several reasons.

One is that Larry and I will be doing some workshop teaching which they wont be getting at either of the other planned get togethers.

This was the first one up on the list of get togethers and the others were afterthoughts as a result.....

I think every one will enjoy coming to the mountains and this National Park, where they wont get anywhere near as good of scenery at the others.

Rich

In addition to Rich's reasons, it appears that we are talking three different groups - the UK group, many of whom can't make it to the States; the Canadian group - already in close proximity and inviting others in June and the Montana group from all around WC. :cat:

I wouldn't cancel it. And knowing a more precise date would certainly "pin me down." I've made a few inquiries about costs etc.

pampe
10-17-2004, 02:08 PM
Thanks, Richard and Zoe

Well....to be sane about it...after SUMMER is FAR better for room rates, car rates and airfare. Standing lin lines to see mountains is a turn off...so I heartily support doing this AFTER Labor Day.

Flattwo
10-17-2004, 07:16 PM
Hello Pam

No Reason to put your get together on hold, if I could get there Montana would be my choice, I would give my right arm to get there...well maybe my left arm :D its just that flying is out of the question at the moment :(

Surely some of the Ontario Gang could do both if the dates are 3 months apart?

Henry

NodakerDeb
10-17-2004, 09:30 PM
Hello Pam

No Reason to put your get together on hold, if I could get there Montana would be my choice, I would give my right arm to get there...well maybe my left arm :D its just that flying is out of the question at the moment :(

Henry

You on the 'no fly' list with Cat? :D

Roun2it
10-18-2004, 12:36 AM
Well I've put my name down for the UK meet, with the proviso that I can pull out if the Montana dates suit me, and the prices etc are feasible.

So only waiting for a date to be announced then the planning can start. IMO the reason the others have overtook Montana is only because the dates have not been announced. Maybe a tentative date, so that people like me can investigate, and then beefed up with a permenant date if favourable numbers are attained. No one needs to book anything until the dates are confirmed. You are then opened to cancel if the numbers don't reach expectation.

My feelings on the whole 'World WC Meets' is that they should be bi-annual anyway. That would give folks time to save precious funds and vaccation days from work. I have a partner who needs stroking at least annually with a beach holiday :evil: :wink2:

lorna12
10-18-2004, 03:02 AM
I agree with Rich and Pars. :D

artmom
10-18-2004, 03:20 AM
Pam, this was the first gathering planned for next year. Let's go ahead with it. :D

Also, does it matter how many people come???? I mean, I know it is nice to have a lot of WC!ers attend, but does it need to be cancelled if only 5 or 6 folk can come?

Let's go ahead and set a date and see what happens. That way, we can pin down accommodations, etc.

I checked the map, and it is only 2,450 miles from here! I sort of got a chuckle in the UK meeting thread about the distances that were too far for folk to travel. :evil: :D Of course, I understand that circumstances are different for everyone.

Lyn

Flattwo
10-18-2004, 05:31 AM
Deb

I'm sure your goverment would let me in......eventually....... :evil:

Henry

pampe
10-18-2004, 11:06 AM
I checked the map, and it is only 2,450 miles from here! I sort of got a chuckle in the UK meeting thread about the distances that were too far for folk to travel. :evil: :D Of course, I understand that circumstances are different for everyone.

Lyn

shoot, Lyn, that's just a chip and a putt :wink2:

Rich Williams
10-18-2004, 11:31 AM
Henry if flying is out of the question then take a nice boat trip and then its just a short drive over to Montana from Seatle. :rolleyes: :evil:

Rich

artmom
10-18-2004, 11:33 AM
by Pam: shoot, Lyn, that's just a chip and a putt :wink2:

ROFLOL :evil: :D

Lyn

Flattwo
10-18-2004, 11:37 AM
Rich

Maybe I could hitch a lift on that "slow boat to china"

I have relatives in San Francisco, Toronto, Philly and NYC, which is closest lol

Henry

pampe
10-18-2004, 11:40 AM
SanFran is only a 2 day drive, Henry....*without snow* :rolleyes:

artmom
10-18-2004, 11:53 AM
Henry, you could take a ship across the Atlantic and take the St. Lawrence Seaway through to the Great Lakes. Visit your family in Toronto, then at Chicago, you could take a train to Montana!!! Believe me, if we had passenger trains here in Tennessee, I'd never stay home!!! LOL

Come on, Henry! Sell lots of those wonderfully fantastic paintings of yours and MEET US IN MONTANA!! I double-dog dare you! :evil: :D

Lyn

pampe
10-18-2004, 11:55 AM
IT IS A GLORIOUS TRAIN RIDE....maybe you should drive to Chicago and take the train, Lyn

artmom
10-18-2004, 12:08 PM
Pam, I do have that on my radar! :D But Ed really likes to drive, and we take lots of back roads and find all kinds of neat little towns and courthouses, etc.

On our first day or two of our driving trips, we usually drive on Interstates and make about 500-600 miles. Then, we hit the back roads, and travel for about eight hours or so, stopping frequently. Very enjoyable. :)

Lyn

Flattwo
10-18-2004, 12:09 PM
Pam

Only two days...I could drive around Scotland 6 times in two days as you know :D

Henry

Ottersong
10-19-2004, 07:55 PM
Hopefully I will be in shape to come by summmer. I would prefer after the 12 of Sept. but don't know if Dh can get a vacation then as school will have started and he works at a school.

BTW, DH is the talker, not me so I need him along to make with the jokes, ( also to carry the luggage and all of the painting gear LOL.

Otter

NodakerDeb
10-19-2004, 09:29 PM
IT IS A GLORIOUS TRAIN RIDE....maybe you should drive to Chicago and take the train, Lyn

ummmm.... except the part where the train goes through my state. Ya know, the state where you can see from one end to the other because there isn't a hill or tree. The state where you can watch your dog run away from home for 4 days. Then, of course, there is the eastern side of Montana, where you can watch your dog run off in the horizon for 5 more days. In other words Lyn... there's a whole lot of nothing between the western border of Minnesota and where Pampe lives. :)

But the sky is BIG :)

Deb
Who only lives 6 inches, on the Rand McNally map, from Pampe. That would convert to around 36 inches in Scotland :evil: :D

artmom
10-20-2004, 05:33 AM
LOL, Deb! I've been to your state several times--even (idiotic I know) twice at Christmas! However, grandbabies will drag you anywhere! :D Both Air Force sons and their Air Force wives were stationed at Minot, better known as "It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here!" Our oldest granddaughter was born there.

Actually, I found ND to be an interesting place. Loved the sunflowers in August; did not enjoy the 50 degrees below 0 (F)! :eek: I saw tornadoes off in the distance in the summer, and the Aurora Borealis in the winter.

I think we'll skip ND on our trip to Montana, though! :evil: :D

Lyn

pampe
10-20-2004, 10:10 AM
you CAN go around :wink2: :angel:

Flattwo
10-20-2004, 11:52 AM
Hi

Where are the Black Hills of Dakota then :confused:

Henry

hopefulbucky
10-20-2004, 12:24 PM
Believe they are in S.D. Henry, my sons and I drove through there on our trip out west, really beautiful. I think they were in the NW corner of S.D.

NodakerDeb
10-20-2004, 02:45 PM
Hi

Where are the Black Hills of Dakota then :confused:

Henry

Henry,

They are in South Dakota -- sw corner. My son and his wife live smack dab in the Black Hills (Leed, SD). Their house is literally built into the side of a small mountain. :) check out their website, click on "About Us" and you can see lots of photos of the Black Hills area. Yeah, my son and his wife have some serious dreadlocks :) www.phunkybrewster.com.

Deb

Flattwo
10-20-2004, 04:50 PM
Thanks Deb..will have a look

Henry

pampe
10-21-2004, 08:44 PM
I am currently conferring with Larry as to available dates for him....HOPEFULLY we will have a nialed down date by next week

Check back

pampe
10-31-2004, 03:34 PM
OK

Going to be SEPTEMBER after LABOR DAY

Details to follow this week

WOOT!!!!!!!!!!

Start planning!!!

leverettfinn
10-31-2004, 03:36 PM
Hubby (Don) and I are looking forward to it! Thanks Pam! :clap:

Lauren

pampe
10-31-2004, 03:54 PM
To start some information...the GATHERING WEBSITE will be up this week:

~~~~~~~~~~~

The Continental Divide runs along the crests of the Rocky Mountains from Canada to Mexico, literally dividing the waters of the North American Continent. Montana is known as the headwaters state because much of the water which flows to the rest of the nation comes from the mountains of Montana. Two of the nation's major river systems, the Missouri and Columbia, are born high in the Rocky Mountains of Montana.

General information about Montana
http://travel.state.mt.us/

Maps:
http://www.mdt.state.mt.us/travinfo/maps/

http://worldatlas.com/webimage/coun...usstates/mt.htm

Climate and weather:

http://www.animalrangeextension.mon...PMH-chptr-1.htm

Interesting facts:

http://rad.dli.state.mt.us/pubs/mtfacts.asp

Northwest Montana

Glacier National Park:
http://www.glacier.national-park.com/

http://www.sd5.k12.mt.us/glaciereft/

http://www.glacierparkinc.com/

Whitefish:
http://whitefishchamber.com/

http://www.bigmtn.com/

http://www.whitefishmap.com/Whitefish_Map.html

http://www.whitefishmt.com/

http://www.gonorthwest.com/Montana/...h/Whitefish.htm

Golf:

http://www.golfmontana.net/

Local news:

http://www.dailyinterlake.com/NewsE...ta=88-817278-25

Only airlines that fly directly to FCA:
DELTA
NORTHWEST
ALASKA/HORIZON
AMERICA WEST from Phoenix

Driving here from a larger city is also a fun way to do it beacuse the area is so beautiful:

From Salt Lake or Denver, you can go through Grand Tetons and Yellowstone
From Seattle, you can see Mt Hood, Mt Rainier, the Cascades
From Calgary, ALBERTA, Canada, you can go through Crownest Pass
(just some examples)

AMTRAK 's EMPIRE BUILDER from Chicago to Seattle stops right here in WHITEFISH.....an interesting and beautiful choice

hopefulbucky
10-31-2004, 04:37 PM
Thanks Pam, tons of info here for good reading and planning.

Looks good for us with this date as we are going to WI 8/13 to 8/20.

This will make a nice autumn drive for us and get to see new areas of Montana.

Let us know the definite decision and I will keep reading, fun stuff. Love the planning part of a trip

Faafil
10-31-2004, 04:39 PM
Kewl!! (around our b'days Pam) ???

mustcreate
11-01-2004, 03:06 PM
early september sounds great!!

*all the "tourists" will be gone* it's not like any of us are tourists ;)

really looking forward to this!!!

Christie
11-01-2004, 03:16 PM
Can't go because the kids will have just started school again.:( To quote my daughter, "Spit!". :D

Sounds like it will be a good time though.

pampe
11-01-2004, 04:17 PM
Christie...there's the WEEKEND :cat:

yes, ML....around OUR birthdays...woot

pampe
11-03-2004, 02:40 PM
for appetizers

http://www.fcvb.org/html/gallery.html

http://www.nps.gov/glac/whatsnew.htm

http://www.terragalleria.com/scripts/dbsearch.php?row=4&col=5&s=1&d=tiny&t=allp1&q=glacier+national+park&submit.x=50&submit.y=9