PDA

View Full Version : Coffee Break 10/4-10/10

AFM159
10-04-2004, 10:23 AM
Mornin' y'all - welcome to the weekly chat thread in the Illustration Forum. Pull up a chair, grab your favorite beverage and tell us what's happening with you this week. If this is your first time joining us, this is the thread where you share your thoughts, dreams, challenges, woes with your neighbors across the world - so come on in and tell us about what's happening -

Grab a cuppa joe and here we go!
Last weeks thread for you partying weekenders:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218986

Hey gang! Just starting off the coffee break for the week.

Since I don't drink coffee I'll have a ice cold coke, thanks.

*gulp, gulp, gulp......Ahhhhhhhhh! Refreshing!* :)

designbyjen
10-04-2004, 03:26 PM
:D :D :D
good news...i got a design accepted for a competition called 'out of the box'. i'll be putting my creation on a 16" cube, and it'll be auctioned off for charity. i'll get 100bucks for shipping/supplies cost. good resume stuff. oddly enough...i didn't really pay attention to who the judges were & one of em' was Tim Hildebrandt (illustrated The Wizard of Oz, Aladdin, The Lord of the Rings calendar series, and Dracula, to name a few). too cool!

enough of that...it'sALL sold a painting!!! great job! it's too bad about the snobbism it's a nasty disease...glad u could laugh out loud.

*rant time* i am livid about a small town competition i entered & won stuff in recently... been wondering where in the heck the press release for it is in that local paper...i wanted to send a clipping of it to my local community paper to make my own promotion easier. so have asked the newspaper what's up...they said they never received the results but would be happy to print them if received. so i call the leader of the guild that put the show on & he blamed it on another person & said he'd talk to her. that was early last week & still no article (uh how hard is it to give a piece of paper & a pict. of the best of show?)...so i do a online search trying to look for it today & come across an article that was done specifically on the guild leader w/ a headline of how he's 'a promoter of artists'...blah, blah....and this was after the show! so i wrote a letter to the editor cuz i'm seeing what kind of SELF promoter this jerk is. maybe he didn't place in the show...i couldn't go cuz i was sick that weekend & a friend had to tell me i won anything...so maybe that's why he's being a purposeful (_l_) on screwing everyone else's publicity. ooohhhhmmm....the *ranting* is done!
geez whatta rollercoaster today. well, gotta go do a press release 4 my local paper...not gonna wait around no mo.
~~~jen

TedDawson
10-04-2004, 11:42 PM
Hey, exciting stuff all around! Congrats, guys.

Speaking of competitions, a buddy of mine e-mailed me about a competition that might be fun for those interested in children's illustration. The Society for People Who Can, Do or Want to Write and/or Illustrate Children's Books (SCBWI) is having a contest

TedDawson
10-05-2004, 01:30 AM
Okay, it may be that I'm not supposed to post all that info. But either I'm losing brain cells more rapidly than I previously thought, or the "edit" link isn't appearing for me.

If this gets edited and anyone wants info on a contest for children's illustrators, send me a private message and I'll give you the info. Or follow this link:

Contest (http://www.scbwi.org/contest.htm)

AFM159
10-05-2004, 11:15 AM
You know, Ted, that edit button must only stay there for a short time. I got to looking and the only one of my posts that had it was the last one I made. So maybe as you make new posts, or log out, or change forums, or a certain time has passed, then you are no longer able to edit a given post?

Sketch22
10-05-2004, 12:23 PM
Hello all,

Hope your weeks are starting out good!

Congrats DesignbyJen, on your art being accepted in that competition. Sorry to hear about the problems with the news article. Small papers are generally quite random in their abilities to cover news. It is pretty funny actually, because they don't usually even have enough real news to fill the papers.

AFM159 How are you this week? I generally drink cokes also, actually, I even drink them Caffine free, I little caffine and I am wired! Today I may actually go for that though, I think I am going to go whip up a frozen cappacino with my blender and bounce off of the walls for a few hours!

Ted! As usual, you are the man! What a great contest, thanks for telling us about it, I am definately going to do it. I would love to get that free membership award. I probably won't win, but regardless, another piece for my portfolio won't hurt.

Also, am I the only one who uses Photoshop all the time and then suddenly finds that there are some really cool features that I never even knew about? Thanks Gonz for causing me to try some new stuff with the brushes!

PS. Have any of you ever given art lessons in your community? I am thinking of giving a class here locally. Most of these rural schools don't have art, and it will be like giving private lessons, only I plan to do several persons at once and not in my home. I am thinking of making it a once a week class for about 8 weeks and see how it goes. General drawing and basic design skills would be the curriculum. Any advice would be appreciated.

AFM159
10-06-2004, 04:05 PM
How are I?......well.....I are. :D

Caffiene Free Cokes? yech! How can I get going otherwise?

I hate it when I get to the bottom of my drink and still want more.

I've not had enough untill my hands are shakign...ggn...ing! :evil:

Just my discombobulated thoughts rattleing around my caffiene addled brain!

Axl
10-06-2004, 07:17 PM
*yawns sleepy*

i removed all that info from your post, ted since the evil edit button no longer dissapears for me. heh. actually it can be a pain in the arse sometimes. you have no idea how many times i've gone for the "qoute" button only to realize i've just edited/deleted some poor fellas post! eep.

I have some good news. I got my laptop ^.^ and i love it. heh. It works a million times better than my pc does. that said. if anyone needs a pc... lol

been swamped with school. this weekend is thanksgiving tho so i get to go home. and then next weekend i'm going to ontario!!

did i tell you guys?? i got a loonie flight off of jetsgo.ca! so. one way for $80, and the other way for $1!!!!!!

sweet.

designbyjen
10-06-2004, 09:29 PM
jen...the drama queen...what is it this week?...
my husband is at a friend of mines house...hanging out w/ her husband & other guys (i know right were he is) so about 45 min. ago i get a call asking 4 him & i recognize it as a voice i've heard b-4. so when i say 'he's not home; can i take a message?'...CLICK. i know right who it is. a chic from the bank has the hots 4 him! i am really getting creeped out! about 2 months ago she called (he was taking the kids on a walk) & asked how the bank transition was the previous day ("nice save"). of course in a manner like an innocent survey. i described the voice, (she's a diff. race & that was apparent in her voice) and he said she had the googly eyes 4 him. after that occurance i teased him a bunch but now getting creeped & pissed. you see he goes to the bank every thursday (tomorrow). i never go 2 the bank cuz no fun lugging kids around. what do you all think i should do? well, maybe everyone but ted could answer this one...i already have an idea of what he would say *snarl-snort*
ax, that airfare is great...nothing like getting a deal on something you really want. hey how is that drawing-a-day project going? sure a pain to post every day w/ all your other responsibilities & schoolwork.
well, the man is home...gotta tell him the disturbing news
~~~jen

TedDawson
10-07-2004, 11:06 AM
Nip it in the bud, Jen, that's what I'd say. My advice would be to call her supervisor and say you don't want her calling your house any more. Public humiliation can be effective.

Axl, I envy you. There are times I'd much rather sit on a comfy sofa, on the floor or even outside and work. And with the airfare, that's amazing. Has the airport security up there become as burdensome, stupid, unethical and racist as it has in the States?

I once went three days without having any caffeine. I am so addicted to it, it's not funny.

AFM159
10-07-2004, 12:29 PM
Three days, Ted, you humble me. I've not made it without for more than a day in years! The drug companies should make a patch for us poor caffeine addicts! :evil:

Jen - that is creepy! I think I'd be putting dear hubby to task, though. Make him nip it in the bud, that way his 'stalker' will understand it is coming from him and not you, and will hopefully get the point. You don't want her to think that hubby carrys a secret torch for her, and that you're the one putting up the fuss. Cause then you become an obstacle to circumvent. Does that make any sense?

Axl - I love my laptop too! Their great! Though, Photoshop runs slower than my desktop computer and I have a harder time keeping my colors accurate. So I do limited Photoshop work on it.

designbyjen
10-07-2004, 01:46 PM
ya both good suggs. i had a real good time picking on him last night. i'm sure his ego is loving it! why do people always think it's greener on the other side of the fence? i was thinking i could invite her over for coffee after gary's had beer, brats & beans...but then i wouldn't know where to hide her body :evil:
:D
i'm trying to wean off the caffeine...got sinus stuff anyways so the headaches are killer. so doing the half=caf. 4 starters & drink more tea. today i trembled as a friend offered me a latte (hers are perfectly strong) and i had to bring myself to decline. funny you don't know how addicted you are till you 'back up'.
~~~jen

Kathryn Wilson
10-07-2004, 09:26 PM
You know, Ted, that edit button must only stay there for a short time. I got to looking and the only one of my posts that had it was the last one I made. So maybe as you make new posts, or log out, or change forums, or a certain time has passed, then you are no longer able to edit a given post?

It actually stays for one hour only - :o

AFM159
10-08-2004, 09:36 AM
It actually stays for one hour only -

Well there ya go. Thanks.

Axl
10-08-2004, 12:27 PM
[QUOTE=TedDawson]Has the airport security up there become as burdensome, stupid, unethical and racist as it has in the States?[QUOTE]

lol i donno! I've never been on an airplane before, or even to an airport so i dont have a flying clue whats going on! heh. i'll be sure to let you know tho.

Appearently i should have fun tryign to get through security. All my piercings and metally doodads. My friend jokes that they'll have a hellova time with me. hmmm.
---

I'd like to add in here right now that caffein isnt an addiction its a way of life :evil:
---

The laptop is awesome! I love how i can just pack it up and my tablet and run with it. And I just got a wireless networking card and a router (although my router just hit the dust after a power failor,,, but i will explain this a little later...) so i have to go back to work and exchange it. heh.

It runs all my programs without a problem, dispite how the guys at work told me it'll probably be slower than my pc. In reality, i think this thing is more powerful than my pc. heh. it seams to run everything better :P even the monitor is brighter lol

here she is: http://www.shoptoshiba.ca/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=376614&prmenbr=2071
It has more ram than my pc, 512 compared to 256 megs. i think the harddrive is a bit bigger too, i think i have 40 gigs on my pc, and this has 60. windows mx instead of 98 on my pc (tho i think i like windows 98 better heh. tho. spider solitair!) Pentium 4 pocessor... although the athlon processor on my pc is preety good. i'm sure my pc could be rigged up to something awesome if i just some more$$ into it.

---

Right. The power outage that zapped my router.

There was a fire here last night. well. not *here* but the apartment down the street (like 5 houses away at the other end of the block) It was pretty intense. After all these firetrucks and police start pulling up outside my apartment curiousity got the bettero f me and i had to go out in my pj's and check itout. The whole roof was on fire, shooting huge flames into the air! it was pretty pretty crazy. I watched for a wile, came back inside. then the power went out. go figure. Was cold! I donno how cold it is there for you guys, but right now you can see your breath in the night lol so it was mighty cold without any heat and i had no place to go.

Anyways didnt get any sleep! heh. Trucks were way too loud and there were people yelling at once another over speakerphones and walkie talkies. When i left for school next morning around 10:00 they were still hosing it down.

It completely destroyed the place. was rather impressive! I was watching it for a while from across the street as the whole front of the building lit up. heh.

story: http://www.herald.ns.ca/stories/2004/10/08/fMetro151.raw.html

---
Jen.. that sounds... creepy! heh. perhaps you should, ya know, talk to her, and then tell her to piss off. heh. in the nicest way possible. like "find someone else to chase after..."

--

i must go. hungry and coffee await. hmmm.