PDA

View Full Version : Piping with acrylics

Tarves57
10-04-2004, 04:15 AM
Hi,
I'm totally new to acrylics (or any other medium for that matter!), and I was wondering what I could use to create a sort of "piping" effect to represent, say, a flower stalk, or round a leaf, and how I would go about it.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Great site this! I've been lurking here for a while and reading all sorts of useful stuff.

Susan

gnu
10-04-2004, 05:45 AM
well that one's easy! Your'e asking a cake decorator! Use a piping bag and nozzle..you'll need some impasto gel or similar to thicken the texture yet make it smooth..(and keep this stuff separate from your food :D:D)I imagine any squeezie bottle (like a mustard one) would do at a pinch..I hear PVA glue works as a medium but I've yet to try it..
you could also try straight from the tube, use an OLD cap of a previous tube, poke a hole in and away you go..

Tarves57
10-04-2004, 05:53 AM
Thanks! that sounds simple enough. (So did painting with acrylics though :D ). I'll have a look in the art shop for impasto gel, thanks.

I've already got a botched sunset which I intend to gesso over - thanks to advice on this forum - and I've quickly moved on to doing an abstract flower picture which is turning out okay except for one thing....... Do you need to leave a space round paintings so that there's enough border to frame afterwards? (Now that must be a REAL beginner's question)

I'm assuming you do need to. Would an inch be wide enough for most purposes?

Susan

gnu
10-04-2004, 06:00 AM
I paint almost exclusively on stretched canvas now, which needs no frame..
If you're talking paper, yes leave (or paint past) a margin..as a guide, for my Coloured pencil work I would leave at least 1 & 1/2" to 2" around or more..
the alternative is to buy canvas on board (so it's rigid and is it's own backing, and allow for the outside edge of about 1/4" to be covered up..then a frame or mount won't cover anything important to your painting.
Onceyou're more confident in the medium and yourself, you should try some stretched canvas( they are a bit like a square kite! :D:D ..wooden skeleton frame with canvas wrapped around..)

Enchanted
10-04-2004, 10:30 AM
I'll have a look in the art shop for impasto gel, thanks.

If you live in the USA, or anywhere near a Walmart store, look in their craft department for small squeeze bottles of acrylics, including pearlescent colors. I use these for a variety of art and craft projects where the bead left by the nozzle is effective - for example: in writing script text on something.

Alternatively, the paint from the nozzle can be brushed flat if that is desired - ie; used just as you would with paint bought in tubes or jars.

Tarves57
10-04-2004, 04:11 PM
If you live in the USA, or anywhere near a Walmart store, look in their craft department for small squeeze bottles of acrylics, including pearlescent colors.

I popped out to the shops this afternoon and found an impasto gel medium and also another tube of stuff called Liquithick gell epaississant.... whatever that is! I'll be settling down to try a few experiments with these two and will let you know how I get on.

Thanks to all for the tips and advice.