PDA

View Full Version : Timelady?

joa
10-03-2004, 02:35 PM
Timelady, where do you find these cheap bristle brushes and what is the brand?

Recently I bought a couple of bristle rounds--Grumbacher Rembrandt (not cheap)--and they didn't hold their natural curve like all my other bristle brushes have. I used them one time--actually wet them one time, didn't even use them on the canvas--and they just splayed out in every direction! Amazing, I have never seen that happen!

I would like to find some decent bristle brushes that don't cost so much!

Thanks--
Jo

timelady
10-03-2004, 04:01 PM
Hi! Well, mine don't actually have a brand on them just the number (size) on the handle. They are just described as generic brushes in my catalog (I buy most of my supplies from Jackson's in London, a mid-size shop but they deliver to me). I first tried cheapies when I was working in Pouch Cove, Newfoundland and the art shop in St John's had cheap bristle brushes (I'm pretty sure they're all chinese).

Most my brushes are very large - usually 2 inches across. Varnish brush size, mmmm. :) Smaller ones might splay if I were painting with just touches of paint, but I use a lot of paint and medium so I've not noticed it. I do think a couple of my older big ones say DaVinci on the handle but I'm not sure. I wreck them pretty quickly...

some of them bought elsewhere lose bristles very easily. I find a pair of pliers to the ferrule works well. ;)

Tina.

joa
10-03-2004, 05:22 PM
Thanks, Tina, for a quick response. At least now I'm headed in the right direction.

I'm going to call Sanford about those brushes--that should not have happened, and it makes me mad. They need to watch their quality control!

Thanks again!
Jo