PDA

View Full Version : sculpture books

anitaarts
07-23-1999, 11:18 PM
anybody know of any sculpture books i could use with kids?Looking for something with a little meat..I'd like to find something jr high level or above that I could scale down.good photos are important

Madness
08-23-1999, 04:55 AM
There is a book that I read some time ago that has to be one of the most unique and enjoyable instructional art books i've ever read. Its by Louis Slobodken. Its called "Sculpture; Principals and Pratice". It was written in the 40's, so some of the information is slightly out of date (it makes refrences to going down to your neighbourhood bronzesmith's shop and having them cast a statue for you... and the use of something called "green soap" to help separate a waste mold from a form.... *shrug*), but its still one of the most influential books i've ever read. The principals explained in it are very usefull, and could easily be understood by yongsters (I read the book for the first time when I was around 14.. and it was a very easy read).

You should be able to find it at any bookstore (i borrowed it from the library), but if you have trouble I have found it listed on amazon.com for US$11.95....

ccollins
09-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Just ab aside...Greensoap is still available at the pharmacy, and is pretty common in alot of artistic processes. I have used it in the past to prevent spoilage of marbling solutions and inks. It's the stuff surgeons use to scrub up for surgery.

ArtsyLynda
09-06-2010, 04:16 AM
If you want a recent book on sculpting, my own "Sculpting 101: A Primer for the Self-taught Artist" is available on Amazon and other sites as well as from The Compleat Sculptor (www.sculpt.com) and from me directly. It covers lots of basic skills and is aimed at the beginning to intermediate sculptor. It covers water-based clay, plastilene, polymer clay (Sculpey and Super Sculpey), shows how to make a one-piece mold for reliefs and how to cast resin reliefs as well as explaining how to talk to foundries if you want to have bronzes cast. The book is $19.95 - if you find a site offering it for more than that, run like the devil to me or Amazon, because they're ripping you off. (I've seen it on various sites and on eBay for up to $35!) The second edition of my book was published in 2008. 100 pages, well-illustrated, includes appendices showing two different ways bronzes are cast and a suppliers list, includes a chapter on shipping raw clays and shipping bronze, a chapter on building a carriage, a chapter on design and bases, etc. ISBN 13: 978-0972380539 (You can take this ISBN # to any bookstore and they can order it for you. And don't believe Amazon and other sites when they say there's only one in stock - there are plenty.)

Hope this helps.

Use Her Name
09-06-2010, 02:26 PM
I have a nice book I found at a library sale (love those) called "Creative Casting" by Sharr Choate, 1966 ISBN 0-517-024454. It's not sculpture persay. but various casting methods for small sculpture and jewelry. I find that sculpture can be pretty self-evident, as a trial and error process, what is not so self-evident is how to make the sculpture into "duplicates" or "mass production."