PDA

View Full Version : ***Daily Wash, October 3, 2004***

Christie
10-02-2004, 11:49 PM
Morning All!

Saturday (which it still is here) has been busy and I only just made it to my computer. I thought I would start the new Wash before I lost my touch.:D

Sunday is going to be another busy day with things going on for the kids. A conservative estimate of time spent waiting for them at their activities today is about 6 hours.:D I drew, read and generally took it easy.

Hope everyone is doing well. Be back when I wake up.

Take care.

djdedman
10-03-2004, 12:15 AM
Christie and AWYTC, Good Night/Morning
Hope everyone had a good Saturday and even better Sunday.
Stayed around the house all day, still cannot get my shoe on as foot is still swollen. Sure it will be ok in a day or two. Did a little sketching today, nothing to brag about.
Guess I'm going to bed too, be back later.
Jackie

Roun2it
10-03-2004, 01:50 AM
Morning each,

Hope all are well this fine but cold Sunday morning. Managed to do a little painting yesterday, completing more off one of those in the Yorkshire Project.

More painting planned. On someone recommendation I ordered some paints from Cheap Joes yesterday, the first time I've ordered something from abroad, will monitor the order and my experience to see how it goes.

Already had one problem, e-mail from Cheap Joes, $28 (half the cost) for air post (4-6 weeks) This is for 8 tubes of DaVinci paints, 37mls cost of $56. I could pay this for 8 tubes of 5ml W&N paints here!!

It was the persons enthusism for the paint and the size of the tubes which made me dabble. I don't think you can buy them this size in the UK. But what other hidden charges will I experience?

mr sandbanx
10-03-2004, 02:14 AM
Jeepers thats expensive. Davinci is a lot larger tubes, at least half the price... but hardly worth shipping costs and waiting.

I could mail them cheaper I bet.

Hows the knee? Mending I hope.

Hi Jackie and Christie...
Jackie its NFL Sunday, I guess there will be a team sans place kicker today. Better get better soon.

Seeya everyone... Its 2.15 am here so off to bed, (And its freezing!!)

Chris

madmum
10-03-2004, 03:58 AM
Good morning peeps :wave:

Bit fuzzy this morning, on my first cuppa, think it might take several to bring me round! lol If the rain stays away I'll go with DH to watch Amy playing football, she's doing really well, and even scored a goal in her last match (rare for a defender!).

Kev, watch out for VAT and duty coming through customs, they add a tidy sum and then Royal Mail add a handling charge (another 4)!!!! I reached the conclusion that it really isn't worth buying from the USA, once everything is added on! I'll even get my M Grahams from Lawrences. They do DaVinci in 37ml too, prices look a bit steep though (between 5 and 12 a tube). They do have free shipping for orders over 35.

Weaving to Chris, Jackie and Christie :wave: :)

Hugs and white light to all

Ruth

Yorky
10-03-2004, 04:05 AM
Morning all :wave:

Decent autumn morning - sun and clouds - rain expected.

Postage is a problem from the US, Kev - makes the economic a bit dicey - then again, if you can't get them in the UK ..

Hope your knee is on the mend, together with Jackie's and Sharon's ankles, Lyn's foot and other parts giving trouble. My sciatica has just about given up now, hope that'll the last I'll see of it for a long while.

Look forward to seeing your Yorkshire village painting, Kev, mine is still on the board half finished :rolleyes:

Done no painting for a week, been busy on other things, like adjusting and resizing scans of around 50 oil paintings and producing Powerpoint slide shows for an artist friend. I am also transferring video tapes of Watercolour Challenge onto DVD for Kate and for me too, so much more accessible.

Thankfully now I have the laptop I can watch TV at the same time :D

BBL - brekky calls! PS Morning Ruth :wave:

Doug

madmum
10-03-2004, 04:17 AM
Oooh Doug, would it be too much trouble for you to do another set of Watercolour Challenge DVD's for me? I'll reimburse you for the cost of the discs, of course, and postage.

Ruth

artmom
10-03-2004, 04:18 AM
:wave: to all Washeroos, g'day! It is 4:00 am here, and I've been up since 1:15 am when Ed came to bed. I awakened and couldn't go back to sleep. :mad: Oh, well, I'll sleep later I reckon! Usually about 5:30 am, I'll get sleepy again. Don't have to be anywhere until 2:30 pm today for Ed's birthday party.

The University of Tennessee Vols got slaughtered by Auburn University last night--I could hardly bear to watch--I kept switching channels! :o

Hello, Christie, Jackie, Kev, Chris, and Ruth who snuck in while I was typing!

Chris, I've experienced those exact feelings when attending an art exhibition! :eek: Humbling, isn't it? However, I usually see a few that I think I paint as well as, so all is not lost.

I wish I could get over this "creative pause." I just have to do my part on the Robin Round Pot Party! I have "white paper syndrome" and the paper isn't even white! :rolleyes: It is sooooooo long since I painted (May) that I'm terrified I'll mess everyone's work up!

Ruth, what are we having for Sunday dinner? :wink2: Lamb, or roast beef, or ...?

Well, friends, I wish I were a poet, or could tell a joke, or even had something interesting to tell you, but all my exciting days seem to be behind me! No more hot air ballooning, whitewater rafting, waterskiing, etc. for me, I'm afraid. Can't even visit a museum or art exhibition without someone having to push me around! (Okay, kicking self in butt, get the pity party over with and get on with life!) Thanks for reading this, and letting me get it off of my chest!

Best wishes to those still in the virtual Medical Rooms.

May your today be better than your yesterday.

Lyn

P.S. Hi, Doug, you also snuck in on me! Happy to know your sciatica is doing better. Appreciate the wishes for my foot. I see the doc on Tuesday and hope to get the boot off.

Yorky
10-03-2004, 04:29 AM
Oooh Doug, would it be too much trouble for you to do another set of Watercolour Challenge DVD's for me? I'll reimburse you for the cost of the discs, of course, and postage.

Ruth

No problem if I can get DVD to DVD copying sorted out. You'll have to put up with the adverts, though the videotapes were unedited :rolleyes:

Hi Lyn - hope the boot comes off OK and you can get more mobile.

Doug

madmum
10-03-2004, 04:40 AM
No problem if I can get DVD to DVD copying sorted out. You'll have to put up with the adverts, though the videotapes were unedited :rolleyes:

Hi Lyn - hope the boot comes off OK and you can get more mobile.

Doug

Thanks Doug (I can fast forward the adverts :D ) I'm just amazed that you can transfer video to DVD!

Hi Lyn :) Sounds like you need a hug ((((((((((i)))))))))) You give us so much already, no need to worry about poetry (I can't do it either!), or jokes. If I was close to you I'd volunteer to push you around the galleries, and you could tell me stories - I'd love that :) Sunday dinner today is nothing exciting, I thought DH would be working, and kids all off playing football etc; so didn't go to any trouble with the shopping. Turns out DH didn't need to work, and only Amy is footballing. Oh well, there's always next week (I want roast beef and all the trimmings!) Fingers crossed for boot removal this week!!!!!

Ruth

artmom
10-03-2004, 05:10 AM
Thanks, Ruth, I needed that hug!!! I think you and I could be close friends if we lived near each other! I feel a special kinship to you. Thank you for making me feel better.

I'm not an expert painter in any particular area, so I don't do demos or take part in too many projects, but I do try to reach out to people when I think they need a friendly word. :) Sometimes, that gets me into trouble! :evil: :D

BTW, I had a couple of mentor points awarded to me that I had no idea I had been given. I was really very surprised! Whomever awarded those to me, thank you!! I enjoy getting the WC newsletter. It is quite informative!

Thanks to all of you who allow me to feel a part of this wonderful community.
:)

Lyn

P.S. I'm finally getting sleepy, so I'm off to bed, again!

painterbear
10-03-2004, 05:20 AM
Good Morning all,

Just turned 5:00 a.m. here in chilly Ohio. We had a frost warning last night so we covered the tomato plants with a painter's drop cloth (lightweight plastic). We're not ready to pick them yet and we'll get some more warm days this month, I'm sure. Still have lots of green tomatos on the plants and eggplants forming too. Hoping they all get ripe or large enough to cook before a hard frost hits our area.

Last night was the Homecoming Dance at the high school, and it was fun to see a group of teenagers on their way to the dance arrive at the house across the street from us where a young girl named Nicole lives. They were taking photos in front of the house. The guys were dressed up in suits and bright ties and the gals had on wonderful fancy dresses. They all looked so great. It was funny watching the girls try to walk in high heels though, you could tell they weren't used to teetering around on them. LOL!

Lyn, I know how you are feeling about the Robin Pot Party painting (try saying that five times fast!) because I was where you are just a couple of weeks ago. You are going to have to "screw your courage to the sticking place" as Lady MacBeth said and just DO IT! You will feel such a sense of relief once you start, and I know you won't be messing up everyone else's work. Paint a small version of what you are going to add, just a quick study, and that will loosen you up. {{{{{Lyn}}}}} sorry your Volunteers got trounced, my poor Nittany Lions aren't even in the top 25 this year! Don't know how long it has been since that has happened. :crying:

Not much happening around here either. We'll head to the grocery store this morning to shop for produce and pick up the Sunday paper. I have some more proofing to docan't tell you how exciting Math Workbooks and Teachers' Resource Books are to read closely! YAWN! and I'm only on Grade 2 (they go up to Grade 6)!

I'm on the final stages of my oiler boiler seascape painting. I need to go to the IL and look at some photos of surf now to see if I've got it looking somewhat real.

Weaving to Ruth, Doug, Christie, Jackie, Kev, Chris, and AWAYTC! Hope all in the Waiting and Recovery Rooms feel better today (my knee is getting better! Whoopie!).

Off to look at surf photos and check out the Gallery.

SYL,

Sylvia

Sharon Douglas
10-03-2004, 06:57 AM
Good morning washers.

Just sent Michaela off on her school trip. She is going to Cornwall until Tuesday night.......... :clap: no tantrums in the morning for 2 days :clap:

Lyn, we are having roast lamb with all the trimmings if that helps, seen as Ruth is having a rest today.I hope your foot is feeling better soon, You to Jackie!

Sylvia, I`ve got quite a few photo`s of the sea and waves if you want me to post them for you, let me know.

Doug, :wave: how on earth do you transfere videos to dvd? I can copy dvd to dvd, but wouldn`t know were to start with videos.Hope the sciatica, doesn`t return.

:wave: :wave: To everyone else, I must go and peal the veg etc.
Seeya later.

BobH
10-03-2004, 07:27 AM
I wish I could get over this "creative pause." I just have to do my part on the Robin Round Pot Party! I have "white paper syndrome" and the paper isn't even white! :rolleyes: It is sooooooo long since I painted (May) that I'm terrified I'll mess everyone's work up!

Lyn

Boy, I know exactly what you mean, Lyn. When it was my turn I was just terrified :eek: . But I finally dove in and finished it. So my only advice is to "just do it". I'm sure it will be a wonderful finale!
The "rest of the story" for me is that after I finished my part of the Robin, I didn't touch a paintbrush for 6 MONTHS!! There's been a lot going on (looking for a job in a new state, looking for a home, buying a home, moving, ...) but still ...
So a few weeks ago, my wife and I bought a small print from a home accessory store. It turned out to be too small for where we wanted to put it so my wife says "why don't you paint a bigger one?" So even though I hadn't painted in 6 months, and had never done a full sheet, I grabbed a piece of 300lb. Arches I had laying around, three tubes of paint and jumped in and painted a version of it. And I painted in a way I had never tried before, starting with thoroughly wet paper. And I really liked the finished painting! I couldn't wait to buy a frame for it and put it up on the ledge in the living room. (I can't afford to have it framed so I was going to buy a frame that was close in size and then just cut the painting to fit).
My wife, bless her heart, looks at the painting and says, "That's really pretty, and I love the colors but it's not big enough." LOL
We actually went to Michael's and bought a large frame ('cause we had a coupon). Next, I went to Jerry's Artarama and bought a bigger piece of paper.
I am now looking at an empty frame and a blank piece of Arches that is 40"x26". And the most creative thing I've done is come up with excuses why not to start! :o I hope it doesn't take me 6 more months to get my courage up to try again...

Bob

Yorky
10-03-2004, 07:28 AM
Good morning washers.
..........Doug, :wave: how on earth do you transfer videos to dvd? I can copy dvd to dvd, but wouldn`t know were to start with videos.........

I bought a combined DVD player/video recorder for the bedroom from Tesco's for 99 and I hooked it up to my son's DVD video recorder. Just have to play the video and set the DVD to record 6 hours on a DVD+R disc costing just over a quid. Now I have to find if I can put the DVD in and record that onto another DVD+R. Quality is quite good and you can fast forward and skip forward on the DVD much easier than the videotape.

Remember that I have back up from a techie son, David who lives with us ;)

Just listening and watching a marvellous CD of "De-Lovely" a new Cole Porter musical which came free with the Mail on Sunday - I can strongly recommend it if you like that sort of music.

Doug

Uschi
10-03-2004, 08:08 AM
Good Morning Everyone!!!!

As forecast, had heavey frost last night. Gorgeous, gorgeous view out of my window. Forest is green, orange and yellow. In front of that the rooftops all thick with white frost that is looking light orange in the sunshine with ultramarine and burnt sienna cast shadows.

Chris - yes there are some pretty good artists in our communities. Wonderful you enjoyed the show.

:wave: to Christie

Jackie - sorry it's taking soooo long for you foot to go back to it's original shape

Kev - yes, shipping from Cheap Joe's is expensive. On the other hand WN gives you 5 ml vs DaVinci's 37 ml so you are actually getting the equivellent to more than 7 WN tubes with each DaVinci.

Ruth - it seems to have been rainging there fore a while. Hope it clears up for the game!!

Doug - maybe you weren't painting in a week but still very creative :clap:

Lyn - same here, not much excitement, but I like it, although the daily news for the wash is boring LOL

Sylvia - looking forward to your oiler boiler seascape - what a name LOL

Bob - WOW, that's going to be BIG, good luck!!!!

:wave: to Sharon

I'm going to friends for brunch and might paint in the afternoon.

No news from Otter/Mark for a while, I hope all is well.

Sending goo thoughts to each and every one of you and :wave: greetings!
Uschi

Ellen in Ont
10-03-2004, 08:11 AM
'Morning all.
Just a cheery :wave: to everyone. On my way to bed. I just got home after my second nightshift and one more to do tonight. I think I'm getting too old for this. :rolleyes:
Hope everyone has a great day while I sleep (or at least try to).

Little Old Lady
10-03-2004, 08:16 AM
Greetings :wave:
Loved Ushci's typo "Sending goo thoughts to each and every one of you and greetings!"
Lynn wish I was close enough to visit with you too. I was rooting for UT because of you so suffered with you.
Bob H glad to see you here. CRS Are you the one who is business man turned teacher in NH? Good luck with painting.
Good wishes to all!
JoAnn

CharM
10-03-2004, 08:36 AM
Good morning Washonians! I slept in till 7:30 this morning!! :eek: The sun is blazing and there's not a cloud in the sky... It's really cool this morning, the temp is just 4 C, but it promises to be a beautiful day...

Yesterday, we took the boys to Greenview Aviaries... It has been many years since I've been there and the place has expanded significantly... They now feature a small and exceptionally well-kept zoo as well as a miniature village...

The boys had a blast, being able to closely watch lions, tigers, bears, buffalo, albino racoons (gorgeous eyes), zebra, timber wolves... on and on and on... The animals are all kept as breeding pairs and most of them had young... The bobcats had 3 kittens that were a riot to watch... All of the enclosures were designed as natural habitats, but not sooo large that we couldn't view these magnificent animals... Thibaut and Magoo were just as enthralled with all the birds....

Today, we're going to Heritage Days... There will be a re-enactment of the battle on the Thames where Chief Tecumseh was mortally wounded... A village has been set up and the boys will be able to make candles, learn to *fence*, drink cider or ginger beer, watch Shakespeare auditions... There will be travelling minstrels and the Corps of Drums... And, of course, they'll be able to eat some of the best food... :D :D :D

So, Uschi... as much as I want to finish my darn painting, it's not to be! :D Your lawn looks terrible, but I've seen much worse... There are a few lawns in Chatham that have been totally devastated by these grubs...

Wishing a good morning to Christie and Jackie... hope you managed to get some rest...

Kev... I don't buy my paint supplies in Canada (where I live), but in the States... I sum the total cost (including shipping and handling, duty, etc.) and calculate it out by the ml... It's still much cheaper for me to buy from Fine Art Supply in New York than Curry's right here in Ontario! A 5 ml tube of WN will cost approximately $9+ from the art store, and a 15 ml tube of M. Graham works out to about $10+, ordered on line...

Hi Chris, Ruth and Doug!

Awh Lyn-sis... ((())) You'll be ok... You've been getting out more in the last couple of months than you have in the past year! I'm sure that your family and friends are happy to push you in your chair and thrilled that you're able to go out with them!!! ((())) again....

Syl... one year I was able to keep tomatoes until late November! I was hoping to put fresh tomatoes on the table at Christmas, but couldn't quite make it... :D :D My plants are always on the south side of the garage, up against the brick wall (for warmth)... I mulch leaves and cover the base of the plant, then tent fairly heavy plastic over them...

Another lamb dinner... Sharon it does sound good... someone was having lamb for dinner yesterday, too... I must get a leg at the grocery store...

Hi Bob... That is a HUGE piece of paper and I think it would intimidate me too... Did you post your full sheet??? Glad to see you here, btw...

JoAnn... that's a nice tidy sum you raised yesterday!!! Woo hoo!

Gnite Ellen... sleep tight and don't let the bed bugs bite!

Since the boys are still sleeping, I may be able to eke out a little painting time... I do want to scoot over to the Gallery this morning, too...

Have a happy and creative day, everyone... White and healing light beaming to all in need...

JudyL
10-03-2004, 09:04 AM
Happy Sunday!
I hope y'all are having a great day. Quiet here again as DH is working, and weekend tv here is the pits. Suppose I'll have to do laundry and clean the kitchen. Maybe paint.
Cheap Joes does say if you spend $250 or more postage is free, that is steep, about 140 GBP, but if you save up supplies you need....don't know what they say about overseas orders.
I did go up town to get the newspaper and stopped in at Hannah's for coffee. Doris is back from her trip to California to see the Grandkids. She was treated to a manacure, pedicure and haircut by her DIL, and loved it. She said there is nothing in the UK to compare with a pedicure, and someone would make a mint if they came over to do that. Her hair looks really nice, she said the girl who did it did not understand English and ended up cutting it the way she liked after nodding "yes, yes". But we all like it. Lawrence says he understands why Leo closed Mario's, he said after awhile having a restaurant just get you down. I told him when Leo and Sally get back from Italy, we will bring them up to have dinner at Hannah's. I felt it was only right to warn him.
Our hall bathroom is looking like a bomb site, one lone toilet in the middle of a lot of old lining paper and MDF on the floor.
For those of us who are missing some Summer color, here are some pictures I took at Alnwick Castle.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2004/13051-Hot_Pink_flowers.JPG
pink
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2004/13051-Soft_Pink_flowers.JPG
Lavendar
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2004/13051-Lavender_Flowers.JPG

Have a lovely day
JudyL

Starsprite
10-03-2004, 09:19 AM
Wow...beautiful flower pics JudyL!!!! I may have to snag one to paint today..... if you don't mind that is.

Wake up everyone!! I'm up....everybody's up!!!!! Up, up, up and at um!!! Lets go!!! A friend of my husband's used to call him up early in the morning to play tennis and say "I'm up....ev-er-y-bod-ys up!!" I have always thought that was funny. :D

My gosh... some of you are real night owls....staying up till the wee hours of the morning. While I'm sleeping like a log. When I hit the pillow I am gone till woken up the next day by an obnoxious alarm clock.

My daughter, who is married and living in an apartment with hubby, (they are both quite young, her being 20 and him 23), decided to take their sandrail to the dunes in Oklahoma this weekend so I'm in charge of feeding the two kittens they have, one which she got as a baby and the stray they took in, Lilly and Lucy. I may try to snap some pics of them if they will allow. The stray has been abused, as she was extremely thin and is deathly afraid of water, but I think with lots of TLC she will be just fine and Christine is the one to give it to her.... she loves animals of all kinds and is studying to be a veterinarian assistant.

Have a great day everyone...I'm off to do my thing..... including going to Wal-Mart for groceries. I will definitely avoid the Willymobile Joann!!!! LOL... I am still smiling about that.... but hope your foot is getting better.

Hey my smilies are moving around too...what's going on? LOL

mr sandbanx
10-03-2004, 09:23 AM
Very nice pictures Judy, wont be surprisediof they show up in the gallery soon. Ours are almost all gone with the frost and our garden is pretty bleak. Time to run them over with the mower I guess.

Lyn: excuse me but you are a poet, and I heard you tell a joke. Maybe no more hot air ballooning, whitewater rafting, waterskiing, etc, but there is always the wheelchair olympics. Should that be a problem, goodness me, paint!!!

You need to push yourself out of a funk, most often "if it's to be its up to me". And that field goal you kicked to beat the Gators three weeks back, was awesome.

Funny how there are a rash of leg, ankle and foot problems here. Maybe we are kicking ourselves to hard...

Hi to everyone whose name I forget... Reminds me: I went to Bellevile and there is a trucking company called C.R.S. There was a huge yard full of trailers with C.R.S. written on them. I felt I should take picture, but could not for the life of me remember why???

Next time I will.
Seeya,

Chris

droll13
10-03-2004, 09:29 AM
Hi all,

Just got some coffee, am now recharging camera batteries for today's Intensity Women's Soccer Team game.

I wish I could get over this "creative pause."
Lyn

I know how you feel, Lyn. I wet a brush yesterday for the first time in many, many months. Of course I ended up wasting several perfectly good sheets of expensive paper, but it was liberating. I tried a much larger brush to loosen up a bit. That worked only so-so; on the other hand, I got some pleasing color accidents/effects. With judicious cropping, there might be an OK painting in there somewhere.

Maybe I'm a PollyAnna, but I believe that good things happen to good people (and I'm enough of a grouch to hope that bad things happen to bad people). I hope I'm right about the "good people" part, Lyn. If so, you should soon find yourself feeling happier. You deserve it.

I haven't read the rest of the wash, so I'll just wave hello to everyone and wish you all a good day.

JudyL
10-03-2004, 10:30 AM
Oh yeah, anyone who wants to snag a picture go ahead, just be sure to let us know when it's available for veiwing.
As for me, it's about time for lunch.
Later
JudyL

Cathie Jones
10-03-2004, 10:46 AM
Good morning Washerfolks! It's not quite summer in the Mojave Desert, but it's not Fall either (is it ever Fall in Southern California?). Temps are down to the high 40sF at night, and still climbing into the 80sF in the daytime. Works fine for me!!!

((((Lyn)))) you need a zippy chair of your own that you can pilot anywhere you want to go!

:wave: to everyone - gotta run. Sundays that I have to work are long, but those that I don't have to work are never long enough to do what I want to do!!!

XOXOXOXO

BobH
10-03-2004, 11:03 AM
JoAnn - :D That's almost me! I'm the business man turned teacher in MA who has now moved to NC and is teaching high school geometry. (What is CRS, by the way? I haven't been around much.)

Char & Uschi - I keep telling myself it's not that big. It's only 10" longer and 4" wider than a full sheet. And the painting is more about color than detail so it should be easy! :rolleyes:

Char, did you ever get my "gift" painting from the Robin?

Have a nice day everyone, I think Barb and I are going to go to the Raleigh Parade of Homes, looking for decorating ideas. (And drooling over a couple million plus dollar homes!!!)

Bob

ChicagoGirl
10-03-2004, 11:20 AM
Good Morning Everyone

I'm on my second cup of coffee, and still dont feel quite awake. It's been a busy weekend. Errands on Friday, and they sat with my friend, Gene, Friday night by a outdoor fireplace, drinking some wine and we had the best time. We were talking and laughing, and then its started raining, so we got a big golf umbrella and stayed out there till 12:30 am. We were quite dry and warm, so it was way cool.
Yesterday sleep in......then did house stuff and made a nice dinner. My husband took our daughter Meg to her school's homecoming game last night. So, being home alone, I watched a movie and did some drawing.

My older daughter is away this weekend and my son, John, just left to go to the Bears game.

I am doing laundry and getting the family ready for the upcoming week. I'm also making pork tenderloin for dinner, mashed potatoes, gravy, and let's see....most likely carrots or broccoli.

My husband and daughter Meg are leaving Wednesday to go on a camping trip
to Tennessee. She loves camping with her Dad. They hike and fish and sit by the fire.......me I prefer hotels with cable tv, pools, spas and room service!!!LOL
MY son is also camping with some buddies up to Wisconsin, near Sturgeon Bay. He'll love those cooler nighttime temps.
And my oldest daughter may be heading to visit a friend who lives on a farm down near ALton, IL.
YAhoo...that means Mom has the weekend to herself. I hope to paint, and relax a bit, but will also take my mom shopping and out to lunch.

Spent a few minutes reading the wash from the last two days, interesting stuff going on. I really do enjoy seeing what everyone is up to.

Lyn......you do need a hug and positive vibes sent your way. Hope things improve soon for you!!

Well better go and get started.....oh my favorite show is on tonight...American Dreams....anybody else watch it?

See ya all later.
Peggy

Yorky
10-03-2004, 11:28 AM
Hi Peggy :wave:

You gals have so much news - I can never think of anything :rolleyes: :D

Doug

painterbear
10-03-2004, 11:34 AM
Hi Again,

Getting psyched up to go out and do my walk. I've been letting it slip the last couple of days since my knee was bothering me, but that is almost gone now so will take my camera and see if I can find anything to show you in my meanderings.

Sharon, Thanks for the offer of waves' photos, but I found four in the IL that answered my question. I wanted to see if spray had any other colors that showed in it than the white of the spume. It does. I think my painting is finished and I'm letting it dry. Will scan it later and post it for your perusal. ;)

JoAnn, Congratulations on raising so much money for the Alzaheimer's Association with your Memory Walk yesterday. I know it is a cause near and dear to your heart so it must feel good to be able to help them out so much. Good work, you deserve a pat on the back and a hearty :clap: :clap: !

Char, Your excursion to the Aviary sounds like it was a wonderful day. I didn't realize Techumseh had gotten so far north. He actually was from an area near the town named Xenia (pronounced Zenia) that is not too far away from here. I remember taking DH's Dad to visit a museum with a log cabin from pioneer days and one of the featured items was a rocking chair that Tecumseh used to sit in when he visited the family that owned the cabin.

When we hear there is going to be a hard frost, we pick all our green tomatoes and put them in a single layer in a box down in the basement. They ripen little by little and I've often had tomatoes from our garden on the Thanksgiving table. They seldom last til Christmas though. They don't taste like the ones that ripen on the vine now, but they taste as good as any you can buy in the grocery store at that time of the year! That's a little trick my MIL taught me, before that I used to just throw them away with the vines.

Uschi, Our back yard looks like your front one. One day we looked out and it looked as if someone had gone through with a mulching machine. The robins love it because they can feed on whatever is under there so easily. I counted 14! robins out there the other day.

Bob, Looks like your second career as an educator is doing quite well now that you passed the first hurtle of getting hired up in MA. I'm glad, we need people who love to teach and WANT to do a good job of it. Your students are lucky to have you, I'm sure.

Now that you've got the large size of paper (isn't that the one they call an "Elephant" sheet?), you have to look in a mirror and give yourself the same advice you gave Lyn, quote "JUST DO IT" :rolleyes: :cool:

Judy, Your photos are gorgeous, especially the peonies!

Weaving to all I missed, special {{{Lyn}}} to cheer up!

SYL,

Sylvia

Roun2it
10-03-2004, 11:44 AM
Hi well had a good morning finishing off the 2nd Yorkshire project. Its uploaded now Doug see here CLICK (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2765696#post2765696).

Ruth you were right, those projects end up opening windows all over the place. And I can never find my way around, it is cumbersome, maybe you guides and Mods could put representations forward to make them simpler.

Well I had my chair set up in the garden, with the wheelbarrow nearby, a footrest for my leg, with pots and bulbs to plant..............and then it rained.....and rained ... and rained.

pampe
10-03-2004, 11:44 AM
*dragging in wityh carry -ons*

home at last after LONG flights...even in first class, 16 hours is miserable....

SUN IS SHINING here!!!!

back when I can see

Cathie Jones
10-03-2004, 12:04 PM
WOOHOO! Welcome home, Pamps!

Yorky
10-03-2004, 12:10 PM
Hi Pam :wave:

Glad you made it home OK - when are you going to post your photos? :evil: :wink2:

See you when you have rested.

Doug

andylavallee
10-03-2004, 12:45 PM
Hello all, well the promised rain has arrived with a vengance :( , I'm stuck in my studio down the garden Finishing my challenge picture No 1. Our visitors have gone home refreshed and impressed with Wend and mines culinary skills and I'm sat listening to a talking book "Kilo class " by patrick Robinson ,narrated by George Guidall really good story

best wishes to all

glad you got home save Pampe looking forward to your highlights

artmom
10-03-2004, 12:52 PM
GIANT HUGS to all who took the time and effort to cheer me up! I think that I just needed to "let it all hang out" from 4:00 am until 5:00 this morning! I went to bed shortly after 5 o'clock and awoke feeling much, much better. Again, a big THANK YOU! I wish we had a blowing kisses emoticon!! :wave: :D

Welcome home, Pam! Glad you and Hap made it safely back. Can't wait to hear about your trip and see your photos, especially ones from Scotland!!

Sharon, YUM re: lamb for dinner! Ed doesn't care for it, so I never get it anymore, unless I go to a really pricey restaurant. I ate it three times in Canada. It's not popular here in East Tennessee!

Getting ready to go to Ed's b'day bash at son's house--DIL has done all the work, bless her!

Friends, I'll be back later!

Lyn

Starsprite
10-03-2004, 01:00 PM
Welcome back Pam!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Have fun at the Birthday Bash Lynn!!! :)

I took a few photos of my daughter's pets - Lilly who is 5 months old and Lucy (a stray left on the side of the road that they took in) who the vet says is probably around a year old. They seemed to be feeling pretty photogenic today so got a few nice pics.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2004/6385-Lucy1.jpg
This is the adopted pet Lucy.... quite colorful isn't she?

Another of Lucy
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2004/6385-Lucy2.jpg

Lilly the spoiled Wonder Kitty!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2004/6385-Lilly1.jpg

Lilly scoping out the fish aquarium :eek:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2004/6385-Lilly2.jpg

Faafil
10-03-2004, 01:28 PM
Hi y'all :wave:

Quickly zipping through... errands to run, bills to pay, and some midden straightening on the agenda today, and then hopefully get a chance to sketch out my next painting adventure. I'm running short on paper, so may make a trip to AWS for some #300 Arches - that reminds me, I want to try the Fabriano as well... :)

Welcome back Pam, can't wait to hear of your travels and see some pics.

(((((Lyn)))))))

Sending white light and positive vibes to those who need them, and 11 hugs to all !

ML

Ellen in Ont
10-03-2004, 01:33 PM
Well, I'm up, (yaawwwnnn). I don't sleep well on nightshift anymore (or dayshift for that matter :D ). What woke me up today was the annual foodbank drive. The fire department drives one of it's fire trucks sslllooowwwly up and down every street blaring it's siren and honking it's horn and everyone takes out non-perishable food for the local foodbanks. Good idea... brings in lots of donations... by WHY am I always nightshift for this occasion every year??? :rolleyes:
We haven't had our first hard frost yet but it looks like tonight is the night. It is supposed to go to minus 2 with wet flurries. Burrrr. Funny thing is, if this was the end of winter instead of the start, we would be saying how nice it is out. :D
I'm too bleary eyed to say hi to everyone individually so I'll just give a big hi and lots and lots of good wishes and everyone can divide them up equally. I am off to rest my eyes in the gallery until I wake up.

Christie
10-03-2004, 01:35 PM
Oh sure! I finally get to the Wash and am mentally phrasing my feel better message to Lyn. THEN I get to the bottom and she is already feeling better! Sheesh! You guys work too fast.:D Glad you are doing better Lyn.:)

Loved the kitten pics.:)

Have to go herd the kids to a new activity. It wounds as if George is trying to turn his sister into a rabbit... :rolleyes:

Take care.

ChicagoGirl
10-03-2004, 02:18 PM
Hey Doug..

Just curious...what type of laptop did you get?

I just ordered one from Dell Friday night. I customized it...it going to be great!!

Thanks
Peggy

bluegenes
10-03-2004, 02:22 PM
Hi folks! :wave:
Had my surgery a couple of weeks ago, and this is the first time I've been back on the computer....everything went well, and I've still got four more weeks till I go back to work. I've missed seeing everyone's wonderful art. Think I'll pop over to the gallery and take a peek. Hope I can get up the energy to start painting again myself soon...
See ya!
Patty

Flattwo
10-03-2004, 03:17 PM
Hello Fellow Drookits

Busy wash today, wish I had time to reply to all!

What a day!....Drove to Edinburgh, had lunch in Princes Street anf them visited the a gallery which had a Titian exhibition on! after that had a wander around our National Gallery, stared at Rembrandts, Botticellis, Goyas, Turners, Raeburns...and on, and on :p ...Fantastic, going back soon to visit the Gallery of Modern Art and the Portrait Gallery

Here are a few pics from the day

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2004/3457-DCP_6011_copy.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2004/3457-DCP_6013_copy.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2004/3457-DCP_6016_copy.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2004/3457-DCP_6018_copy.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2004/3457-DCP_6020_copy.jpg

Flattwo

Little Old Lady
10-03-2004, 04:01 PM
Back again,
Bob sorry I had you in the wrong state. Glad that you are teaching, I have a granddaugher living in New Bern, NC.
CRS means Can't Remember S**t!
Peggy your son is camping in my neighborhood.
Pam glad to see you go back home safely. Hope that your trip was great.
:wave: to the rest of youse guys.
JoAnn

Roun2it
10-03-2004, 04:16 PM
Henry, I remember the day I went there, wonderful. And so green at the moment.

Well if you haven't seen it yet, Me and Chris are also mad.. we too have done the daft thing and taken up a challenge of one years painting...........with a twist.......

If you know Chris you will know what the twist is!!!

If you can't think
Click this Link (http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220374)

droll13
10-03-2004, 04:22 PM
Back from this morning's soccer game. The "good guys" won 4-1.

After I cropped and edited photos from the game, I made myself brunch: sauteed some diced potatoes in garlic-flavored olive oil plus balsamic vinegar, added some chopped onions, then threw in some diced celery and tomatoes just at the end. Topped it off with Tabasco sauce. It turned out not too bad. For dessert, a small fruit cup - apples, grapes, melon, blueberries. This was probably the healthiest meal I've had in months. At least it wasn't fast food - a bad habit I've succeeded in breaking.

Fairly busy and very enjoyable wash for a Sunday - nice photos, news of folks returning home, others doing well in the recovery room, etc. Relaxing with such a pleasant Daily Wash beats kicking back with the Sunday paper.

Thanks.

pampe
10-03-2004, 04:29 PM
Doug is an evil taskmaster

I have 560 photos.....NOT counting Kington

So All I can achieve right now is a snippet: (not to outdo Henry :evil: )

Flowers in Edinburgh near the Museum with the Titian exhibit:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2004/4054-Edinflowers.jpg

Henry's favorite castle (mine too)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2004/4054-EileanDonan.jpg

Sunset in Oban, Scotland:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2004/4054-Obansunset.jpg

the best frineds we made on Isle of Skye:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2004/4054-sheep.jpg

Yorky
10-03-2004, 04:42 PM
Wow Pam! You're off the mark - didn't expect to hear from you for a good 12 hours :D

Lovely photos - I like the sheep best. Look forward to seeing the others.

Peggy - I bought the cheapest laptop I could find from Staples 550 with a wireless network card. Can surf anywhere in the house. Its a Medion with an Athlon mobile processor only 256K memory and 20Gb hard disk, but with a DVD drive/CD writer combination drive. Suits me, but I woul have liked a larger hard disk as I use a lot of graphics.

I've been recording DVD's all day and have to re-record them tomorrow.

Doug

andylavallee
10-03-2004, 04:49 PM
the best friends we made on Isle of Skye:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2004/4054-sheep.jpg

Oh good Pam ,glad you met Baaaasil and hugh :wave:

Flattwo
10-03-2004, 04:55 PM
Hi Pam

Nice to see you back again, great photos...Skye sheep have a 'tude lol

I was in Oban Saturday before last

Henry

Starsprite
10-03-2004, 04:57 PM
Oh good Pam ,glad you met Baaaasil and hugh :wave:

LOL Andy!!!!!!! :D :D :D Yes, Hugh is the well-fed one in the front. :D :clap: :evil:

Pam and Henry....youse guys make me sick with your beautiful places....I'm sooooo jealous!!!!! I'll snap some shots around these parts when I get a chance and show you why I'm so jealous! :D

BobH
10-03-2004, 05:14 PM
I just got back from the "Parade of Homes". You get to go around town and get into new homes that the builders open up. Here's a couple pictures of houses in the $500,000 - $700,000 range. I left the camera in the car so I don't have any pictures of the $950,000 house we went into. Of course, that one is the one my wife liked best! :D :D Maybe we'll be allowed to visit it again next year!
Bob
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2004/2799-POH_1.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2004/2799-POH_2.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2004/2799-POH_3.jpg

Europa
10-03-2004, 07:07 PM
EVENING WASHGANGEROOS!!

Well midnight here and only just got on the Wash - been painting most of the day - am well into this portrait lark - so watch out everyone.....lol.

Nipped out today to go see my friend who wasnt in on Friday when I went up so I left him a message on his answer machine telling him I was going to nip up this afternoon and if he wasnt going to be in to ring me and let me know.

No phone call so I nipped up and yes you guessed - He wasn't in :mad: - was fuming when I got back home - finally contacted him early this evening and rollocked him - typical man he said - well I dont always listen to my answer machine - (what is the point of having one I ask myself!!!) - he is the same with emails - he reads them every three months or so then wonders why he misses out on stuff........grrrrrrrrrrrrrr - he is sooooo frustrating!!

Sooooo anyway - I did a portrait of him today - but seem to have knocked about 20 years off him.....lol......not sure whether to show him or to leave it till I have practised a bit more.

Anyway that has been my day and now I am off to bed......so waving to everyone who has gone before - white light to those who need it - love and hugs all around.

LEAD ON MACDUFF!!!

Pat xxx

artmom
10-03-2004, 07:09 PM
Back from the birthday bash! Great time was had by all.

I was able to say "hello" and hug "goodbye" to Ed's nephew (and mine, of course) Jason, who is with the Alegria troupe of Cirque du Soleil. He leaves tomorrow for a year in Japan, and then a year in Europe! He loves being a "circus gypsy!" :D His fiancee is also with the troupe; they are not performers. She is Spanish and works in the offices, and Jason is in charge of putting up the Big Top and other important chores! He is a theatre electric technician by trade, and during the performances he works with the lights and sound. And, oh, my, he's sooooo handsome! :D

Thanks to all who have posted since I was last on and wished me well. I'm definitely feeling more upbeat!

Great pics, Pam, Henry, and Bob. Thanks for sharing, especially the Scottish ones! Nothing against yours, Bob, but I haven't been back to Scotland for a while! :D BTW, Bob, we're not that far away now--maybe vestalqueen and I can set up a get-together in the Spring. :cool:

Off to have my favorite Sunday supper; cuppa' tea w/cheese toast made w/aged Cheddar cheese and some grapes! Gotta' love those carbs! :rolleyes:

Lyn

ScarletLake
10-03-2004, 07:29 PM
Hi everybody

Sounds like everyone has been very busy this weekend.

I went to a baby shower about an hour from home on Sat. Had to laugh to myself because several of the young ladies there (25-30ish) now have little ones. They're cute as can be. However one of the young ladies used to be quiet rude to several of us in the family who had little kids(when mine were younger). In fact she was quite insulting to us. You know - how great her life was because she didn't have kids, she wasn't going to give up anything, yada, yada, yada. I got a great sense of pleasure watching her run around, frazzled, dealing with her 2 yo daughter who was not to be pleased with anything yesterday. Listening to her talk about never having anytime to herself anymore. I love my kids with all my heart but at their ages I'm now getting to enjoy some me time. I like it.!!!

Today - DH & I went to the bookstore, had lunch together, went to Wal-Mart & did grocery shopping came home & 16 yo son wanted to go see a movie. Went to see Sky Captain.

I didn't tell you yet that my left shoulder/back are hurt from lifting too much at work. I woke up at 3 am on Sat morning in alot of pain & couldn't move much or turn my head. Now this is a repetative work injury from lifting patients. I called work & told them & they said too bad. You'll have to go see your doctor & they refused to let me do any paperwork for workers comp. I went to the drug store & got some pain type patches for aching muscles, muscle rub & antiinflammatory. Was in alot of pain yesterday but still drove to the shower & back home. I'd say on a 1-10 scale I was a 7 on pain. went to bed when I got home. Rubbed myself down at bedtime & today not much pain but just now starting to hurt alittle so I've rubbed down again. Will continue to do job hunting for new job.

Well thats my weeknd.

Onward to Monday.

Anita

CharM
10-03-2004, 08:15 PM
Good Evening All!!! It was a beautiful day in SW Ontario... The Faire at the Forks was loads of fun... The Battle of the Thames was interesting and my ears are still ringing from the musket and cannon fire...

Sylvia... Here is a pic of Thibaut and Magoo at the Tecumseh Monument, located near Moraviantown where the final battle was fought in 1812... It was here that the British deserted the Shawnee, and the Americans won the day... It was also here that Chief Tecumseh was mortally wounded and died, although his body has never been found...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2004/20514-TecumsehMonument.jpg

Hi Bob... Yes!!! I received it and your very nice note as well... It's photographed and waiting...

Great pics everyone!!!

Pam!!! Welcome home!!! Even with jetlag, you're posting in the Wash... :D

Patty... so glad that everything went well... Heck of a way to get 4 weeks off work though... Remember to rest, rest, rest... and then... paint a little!!

:wave: To everyone!!!

bluegenes
10-03-2004, 09:02 PM
Patty... so glad that everything went well... Heck of a way to get 4 weeks off work though... Remember to rest, rest, rest... and then... paint a little!!

:wave: To everyone!!!
Thanks Char, I will!
Patty

droll13
10-03-2004, 11:43 PM
Hi everybody

I didn't tell you yet that my left shoulder/back are hurt from lifting too much at work. I woke up at 3 am on Sat morning in alot of pain & couldn't move much or turn my head. Now this is a repetative work injury from lifting patients. I called work & told them & they said too bad. You'll have to go see your doctor & they refused to let me do any paperwork for workers comp. I went to the drug store & got some pain type patches for aching muscles, muscle rub & antiinflammatory. Was in alot of pain yesterday but still drove to the shower & back home. I'd say on a 1-10 scale I was a 7 on pain. went to bed when I got home. Rubbed myself down at bedtime & today not much pain but just now starting to hurt alittle so I've rubbed down again. Will continue to do job hunting for new job.

Anita

Do I understand this correctly? You called your employer (who is probably legally required to provide Workers' Comp), and - OVER THE PHONE - they made a medical diagnosis that your pain is not a Worker's Comp issue, so they refused to let you fill out Worker's Comp paperwork? This is so wrong! Do you have their refusal in writing? I'm sure there are many lawyers who would be eager to take this case on. It sounds like your intent to find another employer is wise.

Yorky
10-04-2004, 03:33 AM
I agree with Dave, put it in writing and go see your doctor for a diagnosis.

Doug