PDA

View Full Version : What's on your easel?

jbitzel
10-02-2004, 09:47 AM
Well we talked about and how about it? I have to wait till I get home tonight but I just started the pepper project. I would really like this to be a monthly staple. :wave: James

ExpressiveAngie
10-02-2004, 10:18 AM
Yes, James I for one appreciate your getting us started on a monthly thread :clap:

heres mine...it dont look like much yet and I am almost scared for yall to see the mess I make in the begininng :p ...Neat i aint! Yes the girls look small on the tire :D - Hopefully I will work that out. 14x18
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Oct-2004/29518-tireswingwip.jpg

Bioartist
10-02-2004, 12:15 PM
I would love to join in, but just need to wait for my photos to come back (still using a 35mm :eek: :rolleyes: ).
Soon their in, I'll show you what's on my easel (sometimes). :D
Stacey

theIsland
10-02-2004, 02:35 PM
Thanks for starting the thread, James. These are all things I've done work on in the last week, and would like to finish sometime in the next month, so maybe by posting them I'll feel pressured to do so. :) They're all Liquitex Medium Viscosity acrylics.

1. Traffic barrier in New Mexico, painted on a half sheet of CP Arches watercolor paper. This was from a photo I took at a Dairy Queen in New Mexico. I thought the light made it every bit as dramatic as the old adobe churches. I started this one nearly two years ago, then didn't touch it again. Last week I needed the board it was mounted on for something else, so I decided I'd better finish it before I untaped it. The sky and the dirt need the most work. After I'm done, I'll probably start a new one from the same reference, because I think to be fully effective it needs to be on a 3' x 4' canvas.

2. A rock on our favorite Sonoma county beach. We usually rent a house up on the cliff for vacation, and our favorite pastime is watching the water flow through this gap between the rocks. This one is on stretched watercolor canvas. To finish it, I just need to bring the rocks into sharper focus, and add a little more flow to the water.

3. Wave breaking on the same Sonoma beach. On Multimedia Artboard. After avoiding galleries for years, I've decided to give them a try again, so I'm getting together some seascapes for submission. I have a goal to have at least seven done by January, so I really need to get moving on these. This is the first time I've ever attempted a breaking wave, so it's slow going as I learn the "shorthand" of this kind of water. It's maybe 60% done at this point. It's going to be uncharacteristically fussy with too much detailed seafoam on the wave, but that's how I learn new things.

4. Another one I'd like to get done today or tomorrow. I started this a couple of weekends ago during an event in Indy called "Masterpiece in a Day." Artists, musicians, writers, and actors had six hours to create a "masterpiece" on the street. I thought I had a good start on this one, until a crazy screaming street person started pumping Lysol in a circle around me. So I packed up for the day, and now I need to put a finish on this one in the studio, but don't feel inspired now that I'm not in the scene. So I'm going to have to force hard myself to finish, probably by guilting myself about wasting materials if I don't. ;) I don't really know where to go from here, so I just keep looking at it a lot.

5. My peppers in progress. Fredrix watercolor canvas board. I hope to finish this weekend.

joa
10-02-2004, 03:08 PM
This is my first attempt at painting a dog, although my goal is to paint all three of them. I really didn't know where to start on this, so this was just to get SOMETHING on the board. This is Greta in acrylics on canvas board 12"x16".

joa
10-02-2004, 03:32 PM
The Island: Those are great--hope to see them finsihed soon. :)

As to the peppers--wow! They look finished to me. I like the loose painterly look, and if they were mine I would put finish to them--they are luscious!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Jo

gnu
10-02-2004, 04:41 PM
here's mine..just put in the background darks and adjusted some colours and tones..these will be adjusted further before I add the main subject..grapes!
it's fun to do, funny though the more I look the more I see in the ref, different from when I first started...it gets confusing! :D
Oh, and the branch will be berly visible at the end, it's just to get my bearings and to make sure it would be on an angle.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Oct-2004/7242-IMG_8167_vine_wip_sm.jpg

gnu
10-02-2004, 04:44 PM
Yes, James I for one appreciate your getting us started on a monthly thread :clap:

heres mine...it dont look like much yet and I am almost scared for yall to see the mess I make in the begininng :p ...Neat i aint! Yes the girls look small on the tire :D - Hopefully I will work that out. 14x18
I was going to comment on the pastel colours, till I saw your handle!:D:D
nice movement already, love the right top corner detail too.. :clap:

gnu
10-02-2004, 04:49 PM
to da island..
I didn't understand the rock one till I read your explanation, it's not my taste, but so what?
the seascapes are awesome..wow.
the peppers very luscious..
the street scene is absoloutely gorgeous..perhaps the only area needing anything(if anything) is the orange(red?) space upper left..perhap a hint of the building? itself..did you just paint the black? it's inspired!! :clap: :clap:

Artguy29
10-02-2004, 04:50 PM
Heres something I've been working on for about a month now. I haven't really touched it during the past few weeks; been very busy lately and when I do get a chance to paint, I usually don't have enough motivation to actually do so.

Dave

gnu
10-02-2004, 04:55 PM
joa, don't forget to get some colours in that fur..it's amazing what colour you can get away with..blues from sky reflection, purples of greens from grass reflection...
looking good..

gnu
10-02-2004, 05:00 PM
artguy, you're getting there..
take the heavy outlining out of the right eye, make it above the eye only and not so heavy.
try squinting at the ref to get your tones first. darken your background a little more to make him stand out, and don't add the detail on his coat till you're happy with the tones, or you'll be doing many layers!
I like the colours you're using on the coat itself..

jbitzel
10-02-2004, 07:44 PM
Here's my peppers, I had hoped to post a wip but I had so much time at work I finished it before I got home. I titled it "mangos" because that is what some old folk in the northwest call them and my wife's family here in florida make fun of me because they have a real mango tree. :D

ExpressiveAngie
10-02-2004, 09:05 PM
Oh what fun this is already! :clap:
gnu I love the texture you have already got there, brush? knife? both?

I couldnt comment on the others cause yall didnt use the uploader so i could remember who painted what :(

joa
10-02-2004, 09:34 PM
Gnu, I really like your grape start! just like it is! But of course you will finish it and I'm sure it will look good then, too. :clap:

Dave, if you squint your eyes a LOT, so that you can barely see, and then look at this little guy, you will see that he really is looking good. When you see that, you may be motivated to start up again! :wink2:

Nice looking peppers--er, mangos--James!!!!!!

Gnu, when I start putting some color into Greta, I'll start with all the colors she has in her fur, brown, reddish, grey, and silver, plus the black background. Then I'll add the colors that you mentioned too! She's a very colorful pup--in more ways than one! Thanks for the tip. :wave:

Pastelmama, you have a lot of movement and energy in that painting already! Can't wait to see it finished. :cool:

pameladallaire
10-02-2004, 10:03 PM
:) Everyone is doing so much great work. I wish I were that fast. I have 3 on the go but can't show two of them until they are entered in shows. My waterlily is already a WIP on another thread. Great job people. Pam

gnu
10-03-2004, 12:43 AM
joa and angie...thanks, yes it's knife only..only time I've used a brush in the last few months is to sign stuff:D:D
Joa...I look forward to your colours!

LarrySeiler
10-03-2004, 01:04 AM
did this little 8"x 10" of a local river...finishing last week.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2004/532-acrylicrat_finished72.jpg

Began the painting on location, using Galeria acrylics....but ran quickly out of light, and so finished it in studio. Works don't stay on my easel long....

Larry

gnu
10-03-2004, 02:02 AM
wow Larry so much depth and detail in a small work..gorgeous...

shinobi
10-03-2004, 06:30 AM
1. 4. Another one I'd like to get done today or tomorrow. I started this a couple of weekends ago during an event in Indy called "Masterpiece in a Day." Artists, musicians, writers, and actors had six hours to create a "masterpiece" on the street. I thought I had a good start on this one, until a crazy screaming street person started pumping Lysol in a circle around me. So I packed up for the day, and now I need to put a finish on this one in the studio, but don't feel inspired now that I'm not in the scene. So I'm going to have to force hard myself to finish, probably by guilting myself about wasting materials if I don't. ;) I don't really know where to go from here, so I just keep looking at it a lot.

theIsland, I believe this one could stand alone as is.

joa
10-03-2004, 03:01 PM
Yes, I think so too. Maybe the reason you have not been able to get started on this one again is that it's finished!

deLYNNEation
10-03-2004, 10:27 PM
What wonderful work has been posted! Thanks to James for taking the initiative to start this tradition - hopefully it will be a tradition!. Along with 'the Island' , I also take a lot of inspiration by the northern coast of Calif.

I've never posted in the acrylics forum so here goes.

First - an abstract, among the handful I've ever done. This was done in the back yard & I splashed around with abandon & finished it the next day. This painting sold immediately so I will attempt more.

Second - floral. Called 'Green Vase with flowers'. I let the painting sit & then added the petals & leaf laying on the table later. I like to add these as details to break up the table surface.

Third - 'North Coast'. This was inspired by a visit to Mendocino, north of Sonoma. A summer afternoon. I spent time on the bluff, took a good look & walked around, took some photos & left. When I was ready to paint I looked at the photo once or twice & put it away. I worked on the painting during one week, put it away for about a month, last week took it out again & finished. The photo of this painting isn't very good for some reason, the textural stuff & nuance has been taken away by the digital process . . .

Looking forward to the rest of the month & work to be shown here in the forum.

jbitzel
10-04-2004, 08:00 PM
Where is everyone, must be a busy monday. :wave:

joa
10-04-2004, 09:48 PM
Second stage--laying in the colors, plus eyes. Had to do the eyes first--I did that with the "Water Lily Tiger" and we looked into each others' eyes until I finished the painting. He wanted me to do it right, he kept telling me! :)

I think I'm going to cut some of that table off--it's a little distracting. What do you think?

Jo

jbitzel
10-05-2004, 09:38 AM
I like the way that dog looks, keep us posted. :clap:

ExpressiveAngie
10-07-2004, 08:40 PM

I have worked very hard on this for days....now it is white gesso again :evil: :p ...the redo begins tomorrow :wave:

joa
10-08-2004, 12:53 PM
Awwww, PM, sorry it didn't work out the first time, but you'll get it--just keep us posted.

I've been working on Greta's eyes. Somehow I got too much brown in this--she doesn't have much brown. So I'll go back and work it. I think the eyes are OK. She has little beady black eyes (that don't miss anything!).

damar
10-08-2004, 06:21 PM
Cross-post at http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=221343 cause I had some texture problems, worked with it some and will call it finished. I'm not overly thrilled with this one, but at least it got my brushes wet. (after 8 months of not painting anything but walls and trim!)

damar
10-08-2004, 06:30 PM
did this little 8"x 10" of a local river...finishing last week.
Began the painting on location, using Galeria acrylics....but ran quickly out of light, and so finished it in studio. Works don't stay on my easel long....

Larry
Wow---so much color in so small a space! I always check out your work, very inspiring!

jbitzel
10-09-2004, 09:51 AM
I've been working on Greta's eyes. Somehow I got too much brown in this--she doesn't have much brown. So I'll go back and work it. I think the eyes are OK. She has little beady black eyes (that don't miss anything!).

Wow, I am really liking this. :wave:

joa
10-09-2004, 04:55 PM
Wow, I am really liking this.
Thanks, James, I appreciate your encouragement!

This was not really going the way I wanted, so I worked on the background, pared off some of the table, then painted almost all of Greta black! The only thing I was really happy with was the nose. That poor nose got worked and reworked and reworked again! I even worked a little more on the eyes, so maybe they are really OK now. The only problem with the whole thing is how to get enough conrast in an all-black dog (same thing when I try to take photos of them!). Any suggestions?

katz
10-09-2004, 07:18 PM
Everyones art looks great.
I don't have anything on my easel, but I took lots of photos outside today. To use for future still lifes to paint when the snow is coming down this Winter.
Katz

;)

jbitzel
10-09-2004, 11:02 PM
What ever you do don't scrap it!!! I would paint some grey fur on the right side for reflections and leave it at that. :D

jbitzel
10-09-2004, 11:07 PM
oh, this too..... "destiny" :wave:

joa
10-09-2004, 11:55 PM
I'm stuck! not enough contrast--any suggestions?

Lighten and brighten up the greens in the background and make sure the body outline has plenty of black?

Or just lighten the highlights and darken the shadows?

Don't worry James, I wouldn't toss it--I'll work on it until it's seeable from across the room as more than a dark blob of board!

That's a nice looking dog you have started, James--Destiny? a hunter it looks like.

jbitzel
10-10-2004, 09:33 AM
That's a nice looking dog you have started, James--Destiny? a hunter it looks like.

Yea, she's my mothers great dane, I am not as bold as you yet, I did a shorthaired dog. James

Charlie's Mum
10-10-2004, 05:35 PM
[QUOTE=joa]I'm stuck! not enough contrast--any suggestions?

Jo - I think the dog is fine - hard doing black dogs (heck, any dog!!!).....so I'd be inclined to lighten the bk/gd and leave it! Nice work! :D

joa
10-10-2004, 06:40 PM
James, that looks like a good start--you're going to have a good comp. and interesting color, and of course a lovely dog. Is this for your mother?

Maureen, thanks. You're right about black dogs. The advantage of light-colored dogs is that you can see their eyes! I have done what you suggested; I lightened the background, and that seems to be the answer.

But now the background needs more work. I don't like the color, and it's too flat.
Haven't decided what to do with it yet.

damar
10-10-2004, 09:16 PM
"After Cezanne": Doing this 16 x 20 strteched canvas as a gift to a fruit-loving, new home owner. The fruit isn't finished yet, just kinda washed in.
I wanted a quick, ready-made composition that included fruit and feel kinda sheepish about doing this, but it's also a good study, since I still struggle with painting, (which for me is mostly, unending hours of problem solving!)
---(yes, I think the peach in front is too large). :rolleyes:

damar
10-10-2004, 09:41 PM
I don't like the color, and it's too flat.
Haven't decided what to do with it yet.
Have you considered red for the blackground? I painted a friend of mine playing guitar and her hair being super thick and black, looked great on a cad red background. You can get such nice variations with it by adding touches of other color too.

jbitzel
10-10-2004, 11:17 PM
[QUOTE=joa]James, that looks like a good start--you're going to have a good comp. and interesting color, and of course a lovely dog. Is this for your mother?
QUOTE]

Yes, it is. Here it is finished. I am fairly new to painting and I am liking trying new things because I have found my peppers and this one to be very gratifying. I already have two people that want one of their dog. :D

I like the new color but I think you need to get a ref pic of shrubs and add a little detail... keep on toughing it out... it will be worth it. :wave:

Lady Carol
10-10-2004, 11:37 PM
OH! Well done James. I love the soft of the dog against the hardness of the stripes. I can see why someone wants you to paint their dog.

tbezesky
10-11-2004, 12:54 AM
Damar you have captured that Cezanne look!
I recognized it in an instant.

There are also some nice looking dogs here! :cat:

Finished my peppers this weekend for the Peppers Project.
I am new to acrylics and I love it!

damar
10-11-2004, 01:24 AM
Candienjames: I love how the Great Dane portrait turned out! Beautiful dog!
Real solid composition. The stripes worked! We have what we call a "Great-Danish" mix (of mostly dane)--I know that look!
Tracysart: Your peppers are real snappy looking! I can almost smell them. The background color reminds me of chili pepper/paprika--them peppers look ready for supper!
My WIP: I shamelessly love black/dark outlining! So Cezanne, Matisse and Gauguin have much appeal. :D

Bioartist
10-11-2004, 06:25 AM
everybodies works look fantastic and I am gelous and envious of you all - your all painting, while I'm here having troubles getting myself away from wetcanvas and computer games :eek: :mad:
Hope to see more works soon,
Stacey

jbitzel
10-11-2004, 08:51 AM
OH! Well done James. I love the soft of the dog against the hardness of the stripes. I can see why someone wants you to paint their dog. It's so flattering to hear good comments from someone of your stature.... thanks... :wave:

joa
10-11-2004, 01:45 PM
Thanks for your suggestions.

Damar, I thought of that at one time, and went on with what I had. Next time I paint an LBD (little black dog, or in this case, little brindle dog), I definitely am going for a red BG!

James, I think this thing is finished now; just a suggestion of leaves and sky--hope it works!

Your Destiny painting is lovely, James--you have a new career! :D

damar
10-11-2004, 02:33 PM
Damar, I thought of that at one time, and went on with what I had.
Well you got the higher contrast that you wanted with the green! :) (as opposed to previous wip pic)...LBD's of the terrier persuaion would also look right at home on a tartan BG! Cute dog! I have had many terrier types in life and love them all. (brats that they are!). I did a painting of my wheaten terrier mix last year and was so distracted by the BG--as if the dog wasn't difficult enough! As they say in these parts: Ya done good!

jonesbf
10-11-2004, 03:09 PM
This is to be a waterfall on the big island of hawaii. It's in the very early stages. I've only done the underpainting and begun working on some of the clumps of bushes/leaves. I have a friend who just opened a business there and said he'd like to try to sell some of my paintings. He suggested local subjects.

http://ghargoyle.com/images/hawaiiwaterfall.jpg

joa
10-12-2004, 11:21 AM
Thanks, Damar, for your kind words!

You are so right about terriers--I have 3 scotties, and they are such brats--I call them The Terrorists. Very entertainging and engaging!

TxAggieDarlin
10-12-2004, 12:55 PM
Hi...

I am new to this site and new to acrylics.....and painting...Looking at these, maybe I should give it up now LOL...no, I am determined to do something!! I am working on a seascape ( and struggling), but I did not know about posting here for help....I will do this as soon as possible...uhhh how do I post a picture :rolleyes:

TxAggieDarlin
10-12-2004, 12:58 PM
[QUOTE=TxAggieDarlin]Hi...

I am new to this site and new to acrylics.....and painting...Looking at these, maybe I should give it up now LOL...no, I am determined to do something!! I am working on a seascape ( and struggling), but I did not know about posting here for help....I will do this as soon as possible...uhhh how do I post a picture :rolleyes:

jbitzel
10-12-2004, 01:14 PM
[QUOTE=TxAggieDarlin][QUOTE=TxAggieDarlin]Hi...

I am new to this site and new to acrylics.....and painting...Looking at these, maybe I should give it up now QUOTE]

Don't give up, check these out. http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2795211#post2795211

TxAggieDarlin
10-12-2004, 05:39 PM
[QUOTE=TxAggieDarlin][QUOTE=TxAggieDarlin]Hi...

I am new to this site and new to acrylics.....and painting...Looking at these, maybe I should give it up now QUOTE]

Don't give up, check these out. http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2795211#post2795211

Thanks and that was interesting, but still very good. I hope I figure out this posting..different from anything I ever did before!

HRH Goldie
10-13-2004, 06:04 AM
Well what a plonker I am!!! :o
As I never saw direction on how this sort of post was going to go I posted mine on a new thread. I thought that this is what folks were doing as it was so hard to comment on everyones fine work on one thread, it would be hard (as I have found tracking posts and replies as many are getting crossed).
So apologies if I have done the wrong thing and shan't post a new thread entitled "Whats on my easel" until I have clarification of what is happening.

I still think that there is so much excellent work on here that each one is worthy of its own thread - as in the WDE. JMO. :wink2: :wave:

Christine

Charlie's Mum
10-13-2004, 04:36 PM
NO Christine, you're not a plonker lass - I know you're T-total!!!!!! :wink2:

There's no 'official' thread for anyone's easel - just one started by James.
Bertoni also had a similar thread, so why not you?

As others have said, a thread can get quite long if lots post, and pictures can get lost - so it's OK to post your own.

If members do want a regular 'What's on Your Easel', there's no harm in having a discussion about it :D

jbitzel
10-15-2004, 10:00 AM
got a new one... 16x20 on canvas :wave:

joa
10-15-2004, 03:38 PM
Lookin' good, James! Boxer? or another GD?

Jo

jbitzel
10-15-2004, 03:42 PM
GD, I have an update...

HRH Goldie
10-15-2004, 05:40 PM
Hi James this is looking great already. Looking forward to the next stage. Looking at it like this at the moment it is like a bizarre batman mask and looks very surreal! I bet there are plenty that would like it just as it is now. :wink2:

Christine

jbitzel
10-15-2004, 06:42 PM
here is the next installment...

joa
10-16-2004, 06:46 PM
WONDERFUL, James! Makes me want to hug him! :clap:

damar
10-16-2004, 08:31 PM
Bowl Of Fruit on My Table
11 x 14 Acrylic on Canvas
Sort of at the ho-hum stage right now.
Correcting some compositional quirks; one problem:
The bowl is thick wood and the fruit appears to too high.

damar
10-16-2004, 08:37 PM
here is the next installment...
Wow---great looking!