PDA

View Full Version : Second try at painting a Portrait

Mystfy
10-01-2004, 07:47 AM
This time I thought I would do my middle child. The picture I had is very dark, so I tried to lighten it up a little on the painting side. I was just about to age him, when hubby saw it and wanted it left as it is. They age so fast :eek:

This is my second try at doing a portrait painting. I do sketch, but nothing like this. It is totally differant and I am finding a lot of mistakes as I go and hopefully I am improving lol. I would like to think I am.

His face has been erased about 3 times and redone. I have tried to keep the colours as pure as I could. I am still learning the blending technique. This is only about my 4th effort all up with acrylics. So Im still working out how to use them properly.

Any C&C welcome. I have called this finished, but I am going to do my younger son next, so any ideas on what I can do to improve on this would be greatly appreciated.

The painting isnt as bright as this, the scan really made the red glare, its toned down more than this.

Blessings
L*L
Char

Charlie's Mum
10-01-2004, 09:51 AM
Hi Char,
I'm not a portraitist, so can only comment generally!
He's a lovely little charmer! I think you've caught his look pretty well - but you'll know that better than I! I think this is pretty good!
My only suggestion for future works would be to emphasise the light and shade more - but those with more experience of childrens' portraits may be able to help more. :D

ExpressiveAngie
10-01-2004, 11:16 AM
Char...definite improvement on the first dont ya think? :)

I hope you continue to explore portraiture and I second Maureens advice

"My only suggestion for future works would be to emphasise the light and shade more "

Good job!

Mybubblewall
10-01-2004, 11:28 AM
I think this is a wonderful portrait and you have captured the likeness well. The only place I have a nitpick is on his right jawline (our left). It seems out more than it should be. Also his nose is slightly off, but not by much. I've attached a picture to show you what I mean. I hope you don't mind...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Oct-2004/9562-jaychin.jpg

My only suggestion for future works would be to emphasise the light and shade more

I found personally that a huge help is to put your painting and reference side by side in grayscale to see the differences, especially when it comes to light and shade. I've once again taken the liberty...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Oct-2004/9562-jaycompare.jpg

I hope these examples have helped. I can't wait to see your next portrait!

Bertoni
10-01-2004, 05:20 PM
Really nice portrait!
I second Maureen and MyBubbleWall's suggestions.
What a great idea putting them side by side in greyscale!!!!! :)

Mystfy
10-01-2004, 07:22 PM
Thank you so much for your help and comments. I didnt even think to do a side by side in grey scale. I had a lot of trouble with the light and shade colour wise, did it to dark one sec then to light the next :eek:

I did notice that I had his face a little larger on that side, I must have played with that side a few times, the nose I also had shading problems. Its all experiance, in the end of this painting I was shading with a dry brush lightly to achieve the blended effect, I think that worked better than straight of the pallett paint as it wasnt as separated, if that makes sense. :confused:
Still got lots to learn, I think I am getting better, looked at my first and this one side by side and can see an improvement.

Thank you again, will try these suggestions on my next one and let you know how I did.

Blessings
L*L
Char