PDA

View Full Version : Bidding Strategies

CarlyHardy
10-28-2001, 12:21 AM
Okay...Lee...this means war!

We are going to have to get together and work on our bidding strategies over a "certain artist's paintings" that we both keep bidding on!

However...I was really happy to see that you won the auction today!
(and not that other guy!)
:D
carly

leesmith
10-29-2001, 01:15 PM
Carly, one thing we know for certain is. . .
that we both have excellent taste!:D

Actually, the one I really wanted was the porch and floral painting, and I was high bidder for a while on that one. And then this foxfire DUDE took it so high I dropped out. I noticed he had a bid on the other one too, and I watched it. When I saw that he was the high bidder at $55.00 for several days, I starting getting the idea that I just might snipe it from him at the last minute. Hubby and I went out to eat Saturday night and I made him rush home so I could snipe. We got home 10 minutes before the auction ended. I had to get the puter going, sign on and I was so nervous, I got the bid set up, then sat there waiting patiently to hit the submit button: I set my one and only bid high enough to still give me a chance to win even if he had set a proxy of $100 or more. If his proxy was low enough, I knew he would try to rebid, not knowing if I had set a proxy or not. I hit the submit button about 2 minutes before the auction ended; and immediately saw my bid was at $61.00 which meant he had only set a proxy bid of $60.00! I kept refreshing the page, watching the countdown to make sure no one else bid last minute. I was so excited!

The best rule I have learned from the ebay boards is:

BID ONCE, BID LATE, AND BID THE ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM YOU CAN PAY. That's my story ( and strategy ) and I'm sticking to it:D
I have lost far more auctions than I've ever won.:crying:

KatieMoe
10-29-2001, 07:10 PM
I only snipe if I really want something and the only snipe I ever lost was when my dial up connection decided to chug along and the auction ended before my bid took. So it was technical reason.

Otherwise, I have always won sniping so it is the most successful strategy as a buyer for me.

I was buying a collectible comic book for my brother and people on those type of items ONLY snipe, so its not about sniping there, its about sniping the best (or the nerviest to go the closest to zero seconds left...). Talk about pressure - when you know three or four other bidders are staring at the same screen and doing the same count-down as you. At least art isn't that bad...

CarlyHardy
10-30-2001, 12:00 AM
Kathleen, in case you're interested, there are sniping services that you can sign up for online! I've never used one...have only heard of them!
carly

leesmith
10-30-2001, 01:23 PM
Hey Carly,

I've heard that some of those sniping programs can snipe in as little as 4 seconds! Amazing!

CarlyHardy
10-31-2001, 12:31 PM
Hey Lee....I wonder what would happen if we were both using the same sniping service and bidding against one another! Would the sniper snipe its snipe?

LOL
carly

teresasart
10-31-2001, 03:22 PM
Isn't it funny how much of the art sold on ebay is to other artists?? (Happens at shows, too...) Well, it makes sense... who is more likely to appreciate the time and effort put into artwork than other artists? Too bad we all don't have more money... :D

Teresa

leesmith
10-31-2001, 11:36 PM
Carly said: "Would the sniper snipe its snipe? "

Say WHAT? :D Hey Carly! If you want to use a snipe program I promise to snipe the old fashioned way!:) I probably won't be sniping much for a while because of a bunch of frames I've got to buy.

I did find a good deal at a custom framer; 5 different gilt ornate frames, three 5 X 7's and two 4 x 5's for $26.00. I'll probably use them for ebay paintings!

Lee