PDA

View Full Version : Canvas preparation question.

bitterness_and_honey
09-30-2004, 09:08 PM
have seen where a few artists paint on canvas that is not on stretchers.

Is it necessary to stretch a canvas before applying priming and gesso?

Can I just apply the primer and gesso to the fabric straight from the roll, do a painting,
then add stretcher bars later?
Or do I have to stretch the canvas and later if desired take it off the stretchers?

Would there be a long term impact on the painting's stability?

Thank you in advance....

BnH

Lady Carol
09-30-2004, 09:16 PM
Hmmmmm!

I usually buy the canvases pre stretched. So I don't know. Hopefully some else will have some input for you.

Mike Finn
09-30-2004, 09:30 PM
have seen where a few artists paint on canvas that is not on stretchers.

Is it necessary to stretch a canvas before applying priming and gesso?

BnH

BnH..

I dont use stretched canvas anymore... I like the loose canvas.. just use masking tape to attach it to MDF... I tape down and then run a wet brush over it... then after a few minutes it will wrinkle a little so just lift the tape along one edge and pull firmly and restick... One might do this on the other edges as well to get it all wrinkle free. Then when it dries it's as tight as a drum.... Gesso and sand for a smooth finish.

Once the masterpiece is dry on the canvas just peel the tape and you have something you can matt &frame OR stretch.

It's cheaper and if you actually sell the painting then it rolls into a tube for safe and easy shipping.

So yes you can stretch after the painting is done...

Actually this brings up a point, I was talking to a framer a few weeks back and she said that paintings on stretchers are going out of fashion. She has noticed a pickup in in paintings being taken off stretchers and being matted and framed... Interesting.

Mike Finn

bitterness_and_honey
09-30-2004, 09:54 PM
Thanks Mike!!!!!

Thats exactly the info I needed!!!!

sassybird
09-30-2004, 10:24 PM
BnH..

I dont use stretched canvas anymore... I like the loose canvas.. just use masking tape to attach it to MDF... I tape down and then run a wet brush over it... then after a few minutes it will wrinkle a little so just lift the tape along one edge and pull firmly and restick... One might do this on the other edges as well to get it all wrinkle free. Then when it dries it's as tight as a drum.... Gesso and sand for a smooth finish.

Once the masterpiece is dry on the canvas just peel the tape and you have something you can matt &frame OR stretch.

It's cheaper and if you actually sell the painting then it rolls into a tube for safe and easy shipping.

So yes you can stretch after the painting is done...

Actually this brings up a point, I was talking to a framer a few weeks back and she said that paintings on stretchers are going out of fashion. She has noticed a pickup in in paintings being taken off stretchers and being matted and framed... Interesting.

Mike Finn

This is how I paint most often because I have a wall that I use for that purpose. Sometimes I stretch afterwards, but many times I sell them unstretched to save on postage, being oversized since I work rather large compared to some artists.

timelady
10-01-2004, 04:08 AM
With acrylics you're pretty safe with stretching afterwrads. My only obsertvation is that depending on the quality of your canvas and the thickness of the paint layer you may get a little bit of cracking along the edges, so you may need to touch up a teensy bit. (I usually just get a few little cracks just at the corners.)

Tina.

Charlie's Mum
10-01-2004, 10:00 AM
Thank you bnh for posing this question - as someone who doesn't use canvas often (canvas boards and paper for me!) I'm pleased to see I could just buy loose stuff and not bother with stretchers....so thanks again to the others for the info! :D

theIsland
10-01-2004, 01:29 PM
One thing that might help is to use polyflax canvas. Because it's synthetic, it's not prone to the uneven shrinkage which can sometimes be a problem with a natural cotton or linen.

Noma