PDA

View Full Version : Ballerina

mooz49
09-30-2004, 10:30 AM
I did this one at my Art group last night. I don't like her face .......... too rough for a pretty ballerina! :eek:

Mybubblewall
09-30-2004, 11:50 AM
I think this is a great painting with and interesting and difficult to render subject.

I spent a long time looking at it, the legs in particular. They confused me. At first, it looked like both legs were straight which made the front leg look like it was attached to her stomach. Then, when I realized the front leg was bent and attached at the hip (left of her arm), I figured that the back leg was too short... but I couldn't be sure...

So call me crazy if you will but for the sake of my own sanity, I took your image into photoshop (my apologies) and did some measuring. I marked off where I figured the joints to be, hip, knee, and ankle, then straightened them out to see how it all worked out. I discovered that it wasn't so much that her legs were too long or too short, but that her knees were uneven.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2004/9562-ballerinaleg.jpg

Again I must apologize as I do not want to offend you by drawing over or manipulating your image. I don't want this to come across as putting down your painting. I learned a lot from this as I typically don't measure, especially my figures and I really need to remind myself to do so.

Again, thank you for posting this great piece!

Crystal

mooz49
09-30-2004, 12:17 PM
Mybubblewall ........... thank you and you certainly do not offend me at all. This is the only way I will learn. Now to try and make the knees even! :confused:

Bobbo
09-30-2004, 12:40 PM
great reply bubble

i like the looseness of the paint
you can sort out the face by softening/smudge it a bit
it looks a bit hard
and the focus is on the hands and feet anyway......sorted
well done

Bertoni
09-30-2004, 01:00 PM
Mooz:
Nice work! :clap: the face should be an easy fix!!

Charlie's Mum
09-30-2004, 04:35 PM
You've been given some good advice here - it only needs a little work to refine and finish it.
The painterly background is superb! :D

Mybubblewall
09-30-2004, 04:51 PM
Mybubblewall ........... thank you and you certainly do not offend me at all. This is the only way I will learn. Now to try and make the knees even! :confused:

Making the knees even won't require much. I've taken the liberty ... again... of showing how little it would take...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2004/9562-ballerinaknees.jpg

And btw, your welcome! I love when I'm able to help another artist. :D

mooz49
09-30-2004, 06:12 PM
Thanks you so much Mybubblewall ........... you're a star!! :clap: :wave:

katz
09-30-2004, 07:42 PM
With the minor adjustment of the knees, It is really great. Love it.
Gay :clap: :clap: :clap:

sassybird
09-30-2004, 10:49 PM
I agree with bobbo about smudging her face a bit. Also at the angle her head is turned you should be able to see a bit of her nose.

Lulu
10-01-2004, 01:40 AM
this is lovely Mooz. As you will see by my latest paintings, you don't need any detail in the faces:)

HRH Goldie
10-01-2004, 07:09 AM
Hi Mooz, I love ballerinas as a subject and this is a lovely pose. Was it taken from a ref photo or live model or are you too clever and did this from imagination? lol.
I have only tried to paint one ballerina and the results are on here somewhere. I couldn't for the life of me get one leg right as it was tucked underneath her. My fault should have done an easier pose but it was a great learning exercise and if I can find a good reference that isn't too difficult I would like to do another one.
Bravo on yours are you leaving this one mono aswell?
Christine

HRH Goldie
10-01-2004, 07:10 AM
Crystal - Great advice I wish you'd been around when I was doing mine :wink2:

Next time maybe? :wave:

Christine

mooz49
10-01-2004, 07:52 AM
Thanks to you all ............. Mybubblewall, Bobbo, Bertoni, Charlie's Mum, Katz, Sassybird, lulu and HRH Goldie for your very helpful comments....... much appreciated.
Goldie ............ no I am not clever enough to do it from imagination :crying:
and I didn't have a live model ............ just a ref picture and I think I will leave it in mono.
I must get back to fix it soon.
:wave: :wave: :wave:

Mybubblewall
10-01-2004, 10:49 AM
Crystal - Great advice I wish you'd been around when I was doing mine :wink2:

Next time maybe? :wave:

Christine

For sure! Just come knockin' at my door... :wink2:

I love giving critiques like this but am often wary of doing so. Many people get ... well... less than pleasant when you try to help out. I totally understand this so usually keep my comments to myself. But if I know you're open to it, I'm more than happy to give my suggestions. :D

ExpressiveAngie
10-01-2004, 11:06 AM
Ohh Mooz she is lovely.... are you gonna rework the legs?

mooz49
10-01-2004, 11:32 AM
Angie - yes I will pluck up the courage to rework the legs........... maybe later on tonight especially now that Mybubblewall has very kindly shown me exactly what to do! :clap: :wave: :D

mooz49
10-05-2004, 01:23 PM
OK ....... I did something to the legs and the face .......... not sure if it looks right yet though! :(

Mybubblewall
10-05-2004, 02:54 PM
The legs are awesome! Great job! :clap:

mooz49
10-05-2004, 03:33 PM
Thanks Bubblewall ............. how about that right arm? It looks a funny shape to be but I am not sure how to fix it! :confused:

dcheek
10-05-2004, 11:28 PM
Looks great. I had to look at the arms a few minutes after reading your last comment. I think the arm acn be corrected in the same way that was suggested by Mybubblewall. The elbow bend on her right arm is lower than it is on the left. Also the left forearm is a bit thicker than the right arm. This could be a trick of shadows. As I said, I had to look for a while before seeing the difference. Now if I could look at my work and figure out what needs changing, that would be great.

I do like this. When I look at it, I think about the dancers by Degas.

HRH Goldie
10-06-2004, 03:53 AM
Great adjustment on the legs Mooz - I bet you're pleased you corrected as you've ended up with a lovely study! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Christine

Charlie's Mum
10-06-2004, 05:19 AM
You're getting there Mooz!
I too, thought the elbow a little 'out' - think the upper arm is too long (on the arm nearest the viewer) - not much needed tho' - fine work! :D

mooz49
10-06-2004, 08:41 AM
Thanks Dcheek, HRH Goldie and Charlie's Mum forn your words of advice and encouragement. I will attempt to fix that arm and maybe do something more with the face also. I do hate making changes in case I end up making it worse :crying: