PDA

View Full Version : My next painting plan and need a little help

zacrifice
09-29-2004, 09:58 PM
this is in regards to this thread which I started in the composition forum
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2753060#post2753060

The image I really have grown to love, however i'm stuck on how best to achive the texture of the skin..

anyone have any ideas?

gnu
09-30-2004, 02:00 AM
I would practice with some sponges..cheap makeup triangles are fantastic, and have a look for some coarser ones too
you could start with your main 'local' skin colour the light beigy colour, and work over the face with this with sponges(smooth). next place your darker and lighter tones with coarser sponges, and your darkest(the spottier look) may have to be lightly spattered or even dotted with a brush(fine)
I'd have a play..even spattering all the top layers could work, try toothvrushes, stiff paint brushes, even nail brushes..
I had great success with sponges for fine leaves(distant indistinct ones).

Charlie's Mum
09-30-2004, 05:03 PM
Gnu has given good advice - just remember to wash out the sponges after use!!!!!!! :D
The spattering works too - you can always mask areas you want to protect.

zacrifice
09-30-2004, 08:58 PM
Hey, Sorry for my very slow reply, am suffering a cold so have been sleeping :)

Thank you both for your thoughts, very interesting and from the sound of it seem like it will work, just have to experiment :clap:

Charlie's Mum, How should I go about protecting the other areas?

Charlie's Mum
10-01-2004, 08:01 AM
How should I go about protecting the other areas?

If you want to be very precise about the area, do a tracing and cut out to lay on your painting while you spray - make sure it'e not sticking to wet paint tho'!
Otherwise, just tear pieces of paper and mask off roughly - this is often good if you want to 'blend' spots of paint viually (ie using different colour spatter).
Let's know how you get on! :D