PDA

View Full Version : black paper

stealth
10-27-2001, 07:11 PM
does anyone have any sugggestions in working on black paper,nothing seams to look right ,even if i start out very dark.:confused: :evil:

Sandi
10-27-2001, 08:24 PM
I love working on black paper. Check out "Princess": http://www.artistnation.com/members/lofts/skirkart/skirk/FrogLadymed72400.jpg (butt icon lol). You can go soft or brilliant with them. I usually forget the 'darks' and just use the black of the paper as my darkest dark, then add the medium and lights with my pastels.

<b>Unfortunatly, black paper is not archival.</b> Don't know why, but it's not. Canson and other reputable companies usually state this in their marketing. Hopefully someone will eventually make a liar out of me, but until then, it's something to keep in mind.

LDianeJohnson
10-28-2001, 08:32 PM
Hi stealth

It depends on what you are trying to do with the black paper. If you are doing a low-key painting, that is fine. If you are going to do middle or high-key piece, I recommend starting with a medium value paper then apply your darks.

If you are having trouble with light colors, apply the light values then spray lightly with fixative then reapply the lights. You can use progressively softer pastels to cover the paper as well.

If you are using dark colors on the black paper, I further recommend using soft black pastel on then apply very dark colors to liven the black in areas. Otherwise the black of the paper can cause the painting to appear flat and tired.

If you are painting an abstract piece that is a different story. But if a more representational treatment, black will have many other colors within it as well.

stealth
10-29-2001, 03:22 PM
thanks for the replys,artistry i see i am going to have to go with a gray paper for this portrait, i was hoping i could do it on black but i dont see anyway it will work.heres the pic i am working on.if anyone has any ideas on how to do this on black paper let me know .:evil:

LDianeJohnson
10-29-2001, 04:17 PM
Seeing what you are painting from helps a great deal...options...

- medium to dark warm color: as all your tones are warm
- medium to dark cool color: to place warmer tones on and "read" right away
- medium warm or cool gray: build all colors and obtain a very dark rich warm blackish-brown for the background while being able to create your light, intense values and high highlights

Perhaps to a few thumbnails on the different colored surfaces to see which you prefer.