PDA

View Full Version : First Glow-in-the-Dark Jack-o-lanterns (oooh scary....not!)

scupltorgirl
09-29-2004, 05:41 PM
This is an experiment with BE glass, and glow-in-the-dark powder.

The center is clear, then glow-in-the-dark powder-rolled, then encased in clear, then encased in BE orange (stringers -- coverage took a while, but that way I could draw the eye and mouth openings), and rolled in some other BE orange frit. The stems are BE adventurine green.

The two on the left have Glow, Inc.'s Ultra Green powder, while the one on the right has their Ultra Blue powder. The green is supposed to be brighter and longer lasting "glow-wise" than the blue, but even the photos show that the Ultra Blue glows brighter. And spookier! :D

They actually appear much brighter in the dark than the photo indicates (I'm not sure what are the best settings for taking photos in the dark with my digital camera).

Since I am now out of BE Orange (only had like half a rod :rolleyes: ), I'm moving on to Moretti. I'll be trying the White glow-in-the-dark powder next....

--Terri

Mr.Smiley
09-29-2004, 05:56 PM
Very VERY cool! :D

Lehcar
09-29-2004, 06:04 PM
Those rock! :clap:

Vaverska
09-29-2004, 06:20 PM
I Love them! Pumpkins are awesome under any circumstance! And I AM biased, as this is my favorite time of the year! But you have done such a nice job! I have seen the Glow-in-the-Dark, but couldn't figure out what to make except for "Rave" beads , which would be a total waste of time for anyone but my Daughter and her twelve year old Rollerskating Posse! But these are nifty!

Juls
09-29-2004, 06:22 PM
Terri,
:clap: :clap:
Those are awesome!

Look forward to seeing what the moretti does also!

hugs~
~Juls

Listenup
09-29-2004, 07:31 PM
What a wonderful way to use those powders! Great Job!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

-Kay

quill
09-29-2004, 07:45 PM
It doesn't matter if they glow or not.
Those are seriously great pumpkins!

Lara
09-29-2004, 09:43 PM
I love the pumpkins, what a great idea.

Lara

Mark Wilson
09-30-2004, 07:47 PM
super job!!! i love the glowing eyes. are there any issues using the glow powder? smells? fumes? i am going to have to get me some of that.

firemonkey
09-30-2004, 08:49 PM
oooooooohhhhh!!!
These are ultra cool!
What a clever use of the glowy stuff.
I'd surely be scared if I met one of these on a dark and stormy night. :eek:

scupltorgirl
09-30-2004, 08:49 PM
First, thanks everybody for looking, and thanks for the happy comments.

super job!!! i love the glowing eyes. are there any issues using the glow powder? smells? fumes? i am going to have to get me some of that.

Hi Mark -- it comes from http://glowinc.com , and they have the MSDS on-line for all of their powders. (Not affiliated with them in any way, just a customer. I am cautious, and liked that they had the MSDS available before purchase.)

No smell, no fumes, non-toxic. Since it is a powder, though, a respirator would be a good idea.

On the site they say:

Earth Aluminate pigments are soluble in water and decompose in acid. This means that they will loose some brightness when mixed into water-based mediums. Acids will completely destroy their glow.

This still means they are great for solvent, oil, or wax based products. They even can me mixed into molten glass or plastic.

With these Jack-o-lanterns, I did a clear wrap of glass, then rolled the molten glass in the powder, then encased that in clear glass (then encased with opaque orange). It's a little tough to encase, because the powder makes the encasing glass not want to stick. I wanted it fully encased, so I touched the clear to the mandrel right below the bead to give the glass something to hold on to, and made sure to apply the glass with each wrap of encasing touching the previous wrap (they were wrapped in a spiral), and used gravity when necessary to help hold the encasing in place. Other methods of encasing might work, you'd just have to experiment.

It is also possible to mix the glow powder directly into the glass, but the glow-saturation is not nearly as intense as just rolling molten glass in the powder (although then each "glow particle" -- that's a scientific term :D -- is completely encased).

More people should try glow powder. (After the next set of Jack-o-lanterns, I'm going to try a Halloween raven with glowing eyes!)

--Terri

scupltorgirl
09-30-2004, 08:52 PM
Hey firemonkey -- I took so long composing my post to Mark, that I missed you. (I work hard to come up with ideas to creep you out -- LOL!)

KristiB
09-30-2004, 11:15 PM
These are so COOL!! I've got that powder and never really used it.. Gonna have to try it now.. maybe some ghosties...

Kristi