PDA

View Full Version : Frans Hals and Velazquez

Jaysen
09-29-2004, 09:12 AM
I've been reading a lot about how Sargent learned to paint and some of his advice to his students.

In one letter he wrote, he advised an upcoming art student to first study and copy Frans Hals. Once they had learned everything they could from him, then study Velazquez. Looking back on Sargents early works, you can almost see him doing this very thing. Although he didn't "copy" the paintings, he did seem to choose simular subject matter and try to learn techniques from these two painters.

I'd like to start a thread here for these two great painters as "A road to Sargent."

Here's a great link to some large pics and discussion of Hals.

http://gallery.euroweb.hu/html/h/hals/frans/index.html

Here's a link to some large pics of Velazquez.

Diego Velazquez (http://gallery.euroweb.hu/cgi-bin/gallery/search.cgi?author=VEL%C1ZQUEZ%2C+Diego&title=&comment=&time=any&school=any&form=any&type=any&location=)

dcorc
09-29-2004, 09:23 AM
That's why Hals was in as a MOM before Sargent :)

Dave

Carey Griffel
09-29-2004, 04:10 PM
Thanks, Jaysen. Awesome links and an awesome idea for a thread. I don't know nearly enough about art history--well, okay, I basically know nothing. :p Are you intending this thread to be mostly discussion or a place for people to post copies or...both...? Either way, I'll be looking forward to studying these guys some more as my interest is now piqued. :)

~!Carey

Jaysen
09-29-2004, 07:42 PM
Both.... I'm putting myself through self-paced art school with this thread. I'll be exploring the techniques and paintings of Hals, mainly with his early works, possibly a cropped version of one or two of the larger paintings. After maybe 2-3 of these, I'll switch to Velazquez and attempt to copy a few of his.

So, a discussion of technique and possibly demos/wips that illustrate the lessons.

Carey Griffel
09-29-2004, 10:37 PM
Sounds great, Jaysen! I have no doubt that you'll learn tons here and I'm excited to see what you learn--thanks ever so much for sharing and enriching all of us, too!

~!Carey

Mikey
10-01-2004, 06:44 PM
Very interesting Jaysen. If only we could use a brush like Hals. He has a lot to teach me that's for sure.

Mikey

Jaysen
10-02-2004, 11:52 PM
Problem is.... I've got Madame X, Red Carpet, Sister's portrait, Brother's portrait, Grammaw, Sorting shells, My kids, and the dock all needing finishing. Plus, I want to do the MOM, too, hehe.... priorities must be set I guess.

Jaysen
10-17-2004, 09:08 PM
Since I've finished two paintings and am very close to finishing another, I think I'll go ahead and start another Hals before the Sargent painting next month.

For this excersice, I've picked another loosely painted portrait that almost looks like a caricature. I've cropped it down so that it isn't such a large project. I wanted this to be a small study type, but I don't have any stretchers of really small size. The smallest I can go is 20" x 18". So, this cropped version will end up slightly larger than the original. Oh well, it ought to be that much easier to do then, right?

Here's the reference pic that I scanned from a library book on Hals.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Oct-2004/46838-hals2_upload.jpg

Jaysen
10-17-2004, 10:39 PM
Here's my final sketch, ready for the imprimatura tomorrow night.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Oct-2004/46838-hals3.jpg

Jaysen
10-18-2004, 04:10 PM
Since I've finished two paintings and am very close to finishing another, I think I'll go ahead and start another Hals before the Sargent painting next month.

For this excersice, I've picked another loosely painted portrait that almost looks like a caricature. I've cropped it down so that it isn't such a large project. I wanted this to be a small study type, but I don't have any stretchers of really small size. The smallest I can go is 20" x 18". So, this cropped version will end up slightly larger than the original. Oh well, it ought to be that much easier to do then, right?

Here's the reference pic that I scanned from a library book on Hals.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Oct-2004/46838-hals2_upload.jpg

You can definitely tell that Frans was a Right-hander. Look how most of his strokes are on a lower-left to upper-right arc, as if he moved his whole arm with the elbow as a pivot point.

It looks like in the final stage he would stand with the palette in his left hand along with three or four brushes pre-loaded with the final tones of the highlights, then he would rapidly apply the highlights using a long, smooth stroke, simular to a swordsman's salute. I wonder if he was trained in the art of fencing with a rapier? It looks like it, to me. I know he was made an honorary member of the local guard unit. I've studied the rapier as well as the epee and foil, and the muscles developed could easily translate in supreme brush control.

Carey Griffel
10-18-2004, 09:35 PM
Cool, Jaysen! Your last post is funny to me because just before I read it, as I was looking at your intended picture, I was thinking about how very, very similar the brushstrokes are in this one as in the MOM and how they are slanted in just the same way.

This is a very interesting painting, I think, and I like your crop of it. I'll be very interested to see your work on this!

~!Carey

Jaysen
10-18-2004, 10:18 PM
Here's a link to the full sized painting...

http://gallery.euroweb.hu/html/h/hals/frans/04-1633/index.html

SallyAnn
10-19-2004, 02:08 PM
Cool ref photo Jaysen, cant wait to see you start this one, especially with such a great sketch!

Maybe the training with the fencing etc gets you to have a quick, sharp action with a brush too? Just a thought.. lol... now where's my sword!!! :D

Jaysen
10-19-2004, 03:49 PM
Well, I guess I've discovered, quite by accident, the reason for having long handle brushes.... It's so you can stand as far away from the painting as possible while painting, and be able to see the big picture. Have you ever seen a picture of one of the greats kinda leaning way back and stretching out that brush to dab a spot here or there? It's to increase his perspective.

And in doing this, you can really strain the muscles of your arm, especially if your making bold or quick sweeps with the brush. This can really tone your arm and shoulder muscles if done for long periods of time.

Jaysen
10-19-2004, 10:22 PM
I started blocking color tonight. I only had about an hour to paint, so couldn't do too much.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Oct-2004/46838-hals5.jpg

Jaysen
10-20-2004, 08:28 PM
Here's my first true session's worth of painting. It went pretty smoothly. I'm guessing it's because of all the painting I've been doing since the "Merry Drinker."

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Oct-2004/46838-hals6.jpg

Jaysen
10-21-2004, 10:09 AM
Well, after looking at this all day, I've discovered a major flaw with my approach method. I painted the final strokes too soon. I should've laid in the base color of the face and forehead before the cheeks and moustache. I can still do it, but I'll probably have to redo some of my work here.

BTW, my pallette is flake white, yellow ochre, indian red, burnt umber, raw umber, ivory black, and prussian blue. I haven't used the blue yet, and might not need it.

Mikey
10-21-2004, 02:06 PM
Jaysen,

You are doing remarkably well and showing tremendous promise. You needn't worry about glazes at all with Hals. If you do manage to get those fabulous brush strokes you will tell me how, wont you.

Edit: just an afterthought. You've obviously researched on the Hals palette. I'd rather use Cobalt Blue myself. It's far easier.

Mikey

Jaysen
10-21-2004, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. I think a Big part of his magic is very good judgement of how much paint and medium he needed on his brush for each stroke. I found it very frustrating to figure the exact color and stroke needed, put the brush to the canvas, then find out I don't have enough paint, or what I have is too thin or thick.

Mikey
10-21-2004, 03:02 PM
Hals was Alla Prima and that much different to the other painters around him at the time. He seems to load the brush pretty well, but the thing I do find awesome is how much he manages to say with just one stroke of the brush. As far as I know only Rembrandt could do as well, although closer to our own time Manet was brilliant.

Mikey

dcorc
10-21-2004, 03:04 PM
It's looking good, Jaysen

The more I read about, try to do, and hear of others doing, the whole bravura brushwork thing, the more I become convinced that its all about faking spontaneity - it's meant to suggest that its painted like fencing (rapier, rather than garden :p ) but it's actually much slower and more measured than it appears.

Dave

Jaysen
10-21-2004, 03:10 PM
Exactly right, Dave. It's all about having a method, divining the subject into an idea of personality and mannerisms, then translating that into your style. I'm positive that if you watched Hals painting his masterpieces, he was not exactly speedy gonzalez. Now, there's some parts that he did do strokes one right after another in succession. But, I'm sure every part was well planned and thought out.

If you look very close, you'll see several spots where hals had rub out, scrape, or overpaint mistakes. I attribute this to the different phases of the painting. I believe he painted in 2-4 sittings at least. There's just too many overlayering for it to be in one sitting.

Mikey
10-21-2004, 03:18 PM
Maybe a lot of what we think of as genius is simply extra effort. We know for sure that Cezanne was a slow painter and spent a lot of time thinking about each brushstroke.

Mikey

A Few Pigments
10-21-2004, 05:19 PM
One tip about which brushstrokes to do when (keeping in mind I’m not an artist), think of the painting as a sculpture (always true of a portrait), so the last brushstrokes are on the area’s closest to you. The best example of this is Rembrandt. He took “building up from far to near” to such an extreme that the paint on some of his portraits is as much a half an inch thick. He was literally sculpting in paint with a brush. It was Titian who started the whole mess. Beware of Venetian artists bearing new methods, that’s what I say…hahaha

Squib
10-23-2004, 06:16 AM
This is looking good Jaysen, and you are very thorough in your approach. :clap: Great tip Bruce. I will keep that in mind, thanks. :)

SallyAnn
10-23-2004, 11:09 PM
Jaysen.. was looking thru some of ur painting threads.. you are left handed??? or was that just how the pic was taken?????

Jaysen
10-24-2004, 12:11 AM
Yes, I'm left handed and right eye dominant. Makes basketball and billiards difficult but is supposed to be good for other things. It also makes these Hals pics a bit difficult to duplicate, because I'm having to do a completely unnatural movement to mimic a right-hander.

Jaysen
11-04-2004, 11:17 AM
My next Hals study is going to be a fun one. Just look at this one's subject. He's a crazed, drunken loon; probably mad at the world and willing to smack down anyone who argues with him with that huge donkey jawbone. The crazed eyes, wild moustache, and strong hand make this a very interesting work.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Nov-2004/46838-verdonck_small.jpg

Mikey
11-04-2004, 04:51 PM
Hey Jaysen, I thought this was yours for the moment. :D Anyhow, let's see what you make of it.

Mikey

Jaysen
11-05-2004, 10:39 AM
Just wanted to lay out my game plan for this one while it's in my head. I probably won't actually start this till next week.

First, tone the canvas to a medium yellow/olive. Then, before the figure is started, I'll darken the edges with prussian blue/raw umber to create that halo effect. Then, I'll block in the medium-dark shadows. Then, add in the red and brown semi highlights and shadows. After that, will come the general light flesh colors, that you see so thickly painted on the forehead, nose, and cheeks. Then, the wrinkles and hairs into the flesh. Last will be the deep shadows and white highlights.

Goals:
1. Keep my strokes fresh and loose, very little blending.
2. Get a good mid-tone without using the canvas tone.
3. Try to complete this is 3 sessions.

I like this painting a lot and want to probably keep it for display in my office when it's complete. Something about a wild madmen threatening people with the jawbone of a dead jackass screams Marine Officer! hehe.

I wonder why noone else is joining me here? Is it because the subject matter isn't pretty? Look at the brush work folks! It's amazing. Don't you want to learn this skill and be able to incorporate it in your painting? I guess everyone must be in love with the blending brush and their glazing mediums.

SallyAnn
11-05-2004, 11:16 AM
Jaysen, Im keeping an eye on you and your crazy men portraits! LOL

I just spent the morning fiddling with my baby boogie.. found tons of little dust specks... wahhhhhhhhhhh............ I was tempted to throw it in the garbage! I will just put it aside.

Maybe I should have a go at one of these, with a decent canvas, loads of dark colours that wont matter if the dust shows up.... !!!!!!!! I might have to go nosey at some of his other work.. Im not fond of donkey jawbones!!!

(the other pics under dust covers are doing well.. lmao!)

Come on Jaysen.. lets see your first wip.. hehehehehehe :wave:

Mikey
11-05-2004, 11:17 AM
Jaysen, it's nice to see you've got it well planned. Loose brush with no blending - terrific. I'd very much like to do a Hals, but not this week.

Mikey

Squib
11-07-2004, 04:04 PM
Waiting for a progress report Jaysen. :)

Jaysen
11-10-2004, 08:52 AM
I've had so little time to paint for the last week. All I've done is stretch the canvas and crop the photo. I've spent all my 'painting' time finishing my Sargent study.

SallyAnn
11-10-2004, 10:13 AM
Jaysen - surely you have no more than... say.... 6 paintings on the go?? Come on man...... keep up.......(kidding!!!).....

Cant wait to see some progress pics......... :wave:

dcorc
11-10-2004, 11:01 AM
I wonder why noone else is joining me here? Is it because the subject matter isn't pretty? Look at the brush work folks! It's amazing. Don't you want to learn this skill and be able to incorporate it in your painting? I guess everyone must be in love with the blending brush and their glazing mediums.

:) On the contrary, I'd love to join in too - I absolutely agree with you - there's a strand of painting - Velazquez, Hals, Boldini, Sargent, Zorn - to name a few - who repay close study of their techniques.

There just aren't enough hours in the day at the moment, for me - hoping to free up some time again soon.

Can't help feeling that if Hals was around now, he'd be painting bikers :p

Dave

A Few Pigments
11-10-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by Jaysen
A word in your ear Jayson. Art is a very personal thing, and most artists today have very busy lives. Because of the nature of art most artists are so wrapped up in their own goals and needs if the world ended they’d never notice. Look at the wips I’ve posted and how few people have responded. I’m lucky to have a few good friends I know I can count on to give me help and advice and cheer me along. And you have good friends to give you help and advice who cheer you along in your interests and goals, so be of good cheer. A few good friends make it all worthwhile. :)

SallyAnn
11-10-2004, 02:51 PM
Jaysen - I changed my avatar to let you know ... I AM WATCHING! LOL

For me, I would give LOTS more things a try if it didnt take me so long to paint one pic. As I now have only 2.5 pics on the easel, I may look around to see if I will join you in a Hals, or maybe attempt the Nov MOM ..

I agree with Bruce... one of the first pics I ever posted got 2 responses ..
it doesnt matter... maybe the less responses you get, the better your painting is and therefore others feel no need to comment????

OK.. 2 mins later... here we go Jaysen, I will give it a go with you to keep you company! 2min sketch on crappy canvasette paper, in ultra thinned down leftover paint from today.......... If it all turns to mud.. I shall call him Mr KFC !

Jaysen
11-10-2004, 05:07 PM
Alright, Sally!! Woohoo! Let's see, you're working on a Bougie, a Leighton, the Portrait swap, and now a Hals! You are definitely in the club now, hehe. I really don't have that many left. I finished a lot last month. I'm currently working on my brother's portrait, my sister's portrait, the November Mom, and my Hals Verdonck painting. I've given up on a few without finishing them, so they don't count. I still want to do at least one more Hals, a couple of velazquez, then about 4-5 Sargents. After all those studies, I'm going to try and do 10 strait original portraits to hone those skills worked on during the studies. That should take me well into 2005. My goal is to be able to paint things I'll be proud to hang by 2006. We'll see if I can keep the attention and dedication up. I have a nasty habit of losing interest in hobbies after a year or so.

Jaysen
11-10-2004, 09:52 PM
Here's my first installment for Verdonck. I went a little out of turn on this one. I toned the canvas first, because I had a lot of extra paint left over after doing the Sargent mom canvas.

After toning, I then made the outline sketch, then painted directly onto that, not worrying about adding a fixative.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Nov-2004/46838-verdonck1.jpg

SallyAnn
11-10-2004, 10:51 PM
Jaysen - Bougie, Cassatt, Leighton, Hals.. and portrait swap!!!!!!! Woohooo.. im def in the nutters club!

Hubby came home tonight to see my 'sketch'.. he thought it was pretty good........then said.....um.. well, its not quite your style......so I said.. 'exactly' !!!! I hope to have a bash at this tomorrow... Im also thinking of using my palette knife! Im definitely not good enough to copy any masters styles.. so am just going to do my own thing.........

Your latest post...... looking good! Cant wait to see the donkey jawbone..... NOT !!!!!!!!!!!!

:wave:

Jaysen
11-11-2004, 11:44 AM
Verdonck reminds me of my first Karate teacher. He always had that crazy look in his eye right before he knocked you to the ground or smacked you in the nose. That 'crazy violence look' is wierd, it's that semi-worried look about the mouth and brow, with a piercing stare in the eyes.

SallyAnn
11-11-2004, 01:11 PM
Ummm.. Jaysen.... IM STOOOOPID !! :eek:

I started working on my Hals painting this morning.... only to wonder why my paint was supposedly drying sooooo fast.. lmaooooooo... IM PAINTING ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE CANVAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHA

It is now becoming almost a knife/brush pic.. and its reallllllllllllllly hard!!!!!!!!!!!!

But.. I quite like it, so will finish it.. duh me.... where's the dunce hat!!!

Jaysen
11-11-2004, 02:59 PM
Let me guess, the back side isn't gesso'd?

It should still work okay for a study, just won't last more than 100 years or so.

Looking good, btw. Make sure to give us some close-ups when your done to show off that knife work.

Mikey
11-11-2004, 03:05 PM
Just looking in, trying to encourage you both Jaysen and SallyAnn. They are both looking very good indeed to me. Now me, I've allowed myself to get slightly snowed under. Can't think how I managed it. :rolleyes:

Mikey

SallyAnn
11-11-2004, 03:55 PM
Hehehe, nope its not gesso'd. Its a canvasette sheet.. its more like paper than canvas! I did some more, but its almost impossible to blend anything.. lmaoooo.... Im having problems with that eye in shadow. he looks like some vulture came along and pecked his eye out! I cant tone anything down, I simply have to mix another colour and paint over the top.. what a mission... that'll teach me!

Anyways.. will put this aside for now and ponder how to finish it...off to start on my WC! Portrait challenge.. woohoooooooooooooooo

Jaysen
11-12-2004, 10:24 AM
Wow, that sounds pretty challenging. But, Hals didn't blend much on the original either. His eyes are made with a few strokes, and not touched much after put down. Yours really is lookng good. Your working harder than I did, I was very lazy with mine.

SallyAnn
11-12-2004, 01:14 PM
Ok... after a couple of hours this morning, and seemingly getting not far ahead.. Im done with this pic.. soaking up all my paint... lmaooooo

I couldnt even get the lacey shirt to happen, so I whacked on a whole lot of diff colours with my knife.. hahahaha

Must remember next time... make sure I have that pesky paper right side up!!!!!!!!!

I think today is frustration day for me... I seem to be getting nowhere fast!

Mikey
11-12-2004, 01:21 PM
SallyAnn, this is looking very good indeed. May I suggest that you keep his left eye as it is, but tone down the lower lid and place some shadow underneath the eye, feathered in the same way as those lower down his face.

Mikey

Edit: oops sorry the pupil and iris can be darker, of course.

SallyAnn
11-12-2004, 01:32 PM
Hehe Mikey.. I see what you mean.. Im looking at the actual painting from across my room and can see how bright that eye is underneath... sigh.. OK.. I will do that.. lol... tks for taking a look :)

Squib
11-13-2004, 01:55 PM
:wave: Well done, you two ! Keep up the good work - and we'll keep watching LOL. I am SO unmotivated at the moment. SallyAnn, that sketch is REALLY good. Jaysen - you are not alone in wanting to paint these pieces, but as Dave says, time is the factor - for me anyway. I just NEVER seem to have enough of it. Then when I do get a few hours free, I pick up the pastels on work on something that I can complete quickly ! Ah well......as long as we are all working on something (and learning). Back later to check on your progress. :) :)

SallyAnn
11-14-2004, 04:17 PM
Well, I did a bit of fiddling... and again the problem of the paint soaking in straight away was making me want to throw the canvas out the window!

I do find trying to paint from a ref on the puter screen is still making me crazy.. hubby printed him out for me at work, and its like.. woah.. I can see LOTS wrong... but oh well, another time!

So here he is.. no more fiddling! :wave:

Mikey
11-14-2004, 04:27 PM
Hi Sally, I'm using hardboard for my present painting which is normally primed as I would for acrylics, but it has been soaking up oil paint and making the blacks look dark grey. It's getting better now. I wont be able to use that rabbit skin stuff as primer.

Mikey

Jaysen
11-15-2004, 10:11 AM
Very good job, Sally. I think you've done very admirably, especially considering the absorbtion thing. It really does look like the original. Now....

What did you learn? Did your brush loosen up? My next one is still sitting on the easel in the first stage. I spent all day Saturday throwing my 14 yr old daughter a birthday party (30 13-15 year olds at my house all night). Then sunday was spent recuperating, cleaning, and restocking the kitchen.

This week promises to be another busy one. I should be able to get going again by the end of the month.... hopefully.

SallyAnn
11-15-2004, 11:00 AM
Hmm.. let me see.. what did I learn..... other than the obvious.. lol

I really just got the brush out, and whacked the paint on.. very loosely. The other thing I learned, solely due to the paint soaking in.. was how even if I think it looks awful close up.. various colours/shades together without blending actually look rather nice from a distance!

I got some rather stiff corrugated cardboard to make a bit of a frame for him and the other boogie I did so that I could at least put them on my wall with my other painting.. Im going for all my own art on my walls... lol

Jaysen
11-16-2004, 01:15 PM
Hehe, me too. One of my goals with oil painting was to make some nice furnishings for the house. I just have to create something that isn't going to scare the neighbors away, first. So far, I like my flowers painting (promised to my mom), my sister's painting, and my venetian interior. Everything else I've deemed to be removed from the stretchers to reuse them. I really want to do a few of the more colorfull Sargents for my own house, probably the Girl Fishing, and Breakfast at the Loggia. But, that'll have to wait. I've still gotta finish the MoM, my portrait swap, the Hals, and my brother's portrait first.

SallyAnn
11-16-2004, 02:41 PM
Haha.. Im with you... I just got some supplies with the cardboard... the bag they gave me to take em home was HUGE, its now FULL of my earlier attempts and is getting fuller by the day! One day I would like to have the money to get some of my stuff framed properly.. but the el cheapo stuff I have them in at the moment will suffice!

I JUST got my final photo for the portrait swap so have JUST started sketching it in.. I think its going to take me the full two weeks! Im sooooo nervous after seeing all the great stuff posted so far.. woooooooo!! LOL

I was reading a little about Hals, in a book I got out from the library (yes, Im trying to educate myself!). Seems he liked to paint people 'real', not 'posed' .. good on him... we have decided my Hals is our 'drinking buddy'.. red cheeks and all !

Jaysen
11-20-2004, 10:09 PM
Madmen with donkey bones are cool. I've just discovered that this one is slightly flawed and will need a little TLC before it's done. I somehow messed up the fellow's right eye, and need to correct. The subject's right eye's inner corner is too high, as is the shadow under the lower lid.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Nov-2004/46838-verdonck2.jpg

SallyAnn
11-20-2004, 10:51 PM
Jaysen.. could be me.. but I looked at the original ref pic u posted.. and in that.. his left eye (our right looking at it) wasnt even going in the same direction.. did this guy have an eye disorder?????? Could explain him holding a donkey jawbone?

g7i7n7a
12-04-2004, 04:01 PM
Jaysen,
just a note to let you know, I've been lurking for 2 months and I do appreciate your enthusiasm and all the helpful information on techniques that you share. Even though, there may be only a few participating, there are many more" invisibles" following your progress and those who glean from your projects long after you are done with them. gratefully, gina

btw, great job on this one!!

Jaysen
12-17-2004, 12:14 AM
Well well well. Sargent told one of his fans/students that to learn to be a good portrait painter, they should study Hals and Velazquez, but to study Hals and not move on to V. until they had learned everything they could. After looking at January's MOM I'm pretty sure I'm not ready to move on quite yet.

WV.Artistry
12-17-2004, 07:40 AM
I didn't participate in the Hals MOM project, but I studied that painting with great scrutiny and came to the same conclusion each time -- I need to learn how to draw first.

About the same time, I was studying the sketches of Waterhouse, and something unlocked in me, my inability to draw, but it was Hals motivating me to put the key in the lock in the first place.

It's interesting for me to be overwhelmed by the work of Hals, because I personally don't like it so far as painting goes, personal tastes, etc., but studying his work has made me a better artist.

And I've recently won an award for one of my drawings, a sketch, whatever, which I consider pretty absurd in the grand scheme of things -- so I'm just posting this to give credit where credit is due.

Sargent and some buddies went on a trip to see the work of Hals when they were students, and at our museum, we have on permanent loan, a painting presumed to be done on that trip -- it's a good painting, but not a great painting. His great paintings came after seeing Hals :)

Jaysen
03-07-2005, 08:30 AM
Wow, I went to the national gallery recently and studied the Hals paintings there. They are truely amazing. I was shocked at how many are on display. There's also a lot of Rembrandt work on display. I was dissapointed that there was only one Velazquez, the "Pope Innocent X". It's not the full painting, but just the head and shoulders. I guess that it's a copy or study. It was a very impressive work, nonetheless.

SallyAnn
03-08-2005, 11:33 AM
HI jaysen! :wave: I managed to get to the Modigliani exhibit in Jan, then browsed around the rest of the gallery and saw just ONE Hals! portrait of Isaak Abrahamsz Massa.. it was wonderful to see his work in real life after attempting one! LOL ! So I am envious you got to see a whole bunch!!!

Jaysen
03-16-2005, 03:05 PM
Hey Sally. I went back to the gallery yesterday for a little more in-depth study. They wouldn't let me photograph any of the Rembrandt or Hals (/sulk). But, I did take some fabulous pictures of Sargent, Whistler, Velazquez, Cassat, and a few others. I'll attempt to post some as soon as I can shrink them down some.

Rosic
03-16-2005, 03:25 PM
Hey Sally. I went back to the gallery yesterday for a little more in-depth study. They wouldn't let me photograph any of the Rembrandt or Hals (/sulk). But, I did take some fabulous pictures of Sargent, Whistler, Velazquez, Cassat, and a few others. I'll attempt to post some as soon as I can shrink them down some.
Hey Jaysen... :wave:
When are you coming back to town?
Take it easy... wish you well!
Look forward to the photos.
Bernie

Jaysen
03-16-2005, 03:37 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Mar-2005/46838-sargent1.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Mar-2005/46838-sargent_2.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Mar-2005/46838-whistler_1.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Mar-2005/46838-whistler_2.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Mar-2005/46838-cant_remember_name.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Mar-2005/46838-name_2.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Mar-2005/46838-cassat.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Mar-2005/46838-cezanne.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Mar-2005/46838-velazquez_1.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Mar-2005/46838-homer.JPG

Jaysen
03-18-2005, 12:37 PM
Pictures 1 and 2: Breakfast in the Loggia, J. S. Sargent, Freer gallery
Pictures 3 and 4: The white girl, or Symphony in White no. 2, Whistler, NGA
Pictures 5 and 6: Fallen bull fighter or something like that, Manet, NGA
Picture 7: Girl in blue chair?, Cassat, NGA
Picture 8: Not sure of title, Cezanne, NGA
Picture 9: Pope innocent X, Velazquez, NGA
Picture 10: Not sure, Homer, NGA

Mikey
03-18-2005, 05:59 PM
Hi Jaysen, I haven't checked, but think 5 and 6 would be Mante's Dear Soldier. Would the Cezanne be of Anthony Valabrègne. I think it is. Many thanks for showing us these close-ups of the brushwork.

Mikey

bjs0704
03-18-2005, 09:05 PM
Jaysen - What a wonderful trip! Those detailed photos are really terrific!
Thanks, so much for posting them!

I had the best time at the National Gallery in Washington DC! I do remember that Whistler's Girl in White really reads differently in person than it did in books.

Barb Solomon :cat:

Jaysen
03-23-2005, 10:58 PM
Here's some more close-ups.

More of Sargent's Breakfast

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Mar-2005/46838-loggia4.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Mar-2005/46838-loggia5.JPG

2 hands in different works by sargent. Both are portraits of old ladies.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Mar-2005/46838-sargent3.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Mar-2005/46838-sargent4.JPG

Cezanne, same work.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Mar-2005/46838-cezanne2.JPG

Jaysen
06-30-2005, 08:21 PM
Here's an interesting side note. My 14 year old step-daughter has borrowed all my Hals paintings and has them hanging in her room. It looks like an Insane Asylum's who's who in there, hehe.

giancarlo80
09-22-2009, 07:59 AM
I did a copy of juan de peraja and would like to show it; is this the right forum

giancarlo80
10-31-2009, 09:15 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Oct-2009/175956-velazquez_head_new_camera.jpg