PDA

View Full Version : Floral paperweight buttons / floral help request.

Starleens Studio
09-29-2004, 12:47 AM
Good evening, hmmm good morning actually...

Well, the how to make a floral light bulb is starting to come on for me. I have trouble achieving layered florals and was hoping for some tips/tricks from the experts? I also have a problem with rubino oro & striking red petals. Rubino burns as I try to melt the petals flat even when I work high up in the flame. The red striking is more of a color combination mental block thing. What colors do you use in a bead when working red petals?

Thanks in advance for your advice ;)

Here are some paperweight floral buttons that just came out of the kiln tonight. (I am a newbie, please excuse the encasing mess I have going on here :) Any advice on how to improve on them is appreciated.

Emily NZ
09-29-2004, 03:26 AM
I don't have any advice regarding your q?s as I work in boro, but just wanted to say those buttons are really cute! Well done :clap:
Your encasing will improve given time!
Emily

Vangie
09-29-2004, 06:15 AM
Starleen, the symmetry of your flower petals is remarkable! I don't have any advice about Rubino Oro (sorry :confused: ), since I haven't worked with it much. One of the more experienced lampwork artists will have to help you with that one. I just wanted to comment on your awesome artistic ability! :clap:

Blessings,

MegannsMom
09-29-2004, 07:36 AM
Wow! I think that you are doing a FABULOUS job! Personally, I love encased florals so much I would do them all day, have already made tons of them, and must say that I am a bit envious of yours! I would like to see a thicker encasing on those buttons, though. Just a matter of personal taste.....I think I have collected paperweights too long! I too have great difficulty with the layered petals. Yours are MUCH better than mine!

As for the Rubino....have you tried turning your torch down a wee bit? Also, you might try melting it down just a little, then adding a drop of clear on top, THEN melting down all the way; it will help protect the Rubino. I love that color, so I have forced myself tp use it alot so I can get the right "feel" for it.

I just made a set of striker red florals for a customer! I tried lots of combos and the ones she and I both liked the most were:

Black base, then encased with goldstone filigrana, thinly encased again.....then white petals, then a TINY dot of black on the petals, then striker red petals, melt in/ round out.....plunge,then nice thick encasing. It gave a nice dramatic look, when I got it out of my head to always use green vines in my florals! That tiny dot of black really gave it some depth or something.....? Anyway, it turned out great!

Hope someone else comes by with help for the both of us on layering the petals!

~Cindy

Helen Simon
09-29-2004, 09:09 AM
Turn up your oxy, and try to get your hands on some light rubino...makes all the difference. Love, Helen

Mike E etc
09-29-2004, 01:41 PM
are you using wire shanks? They look nice.

Mike E

Starleens Studio
09-29-2004, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the oxy tip Helen. My rubino is a bright magenta pink, I will see about lighter stock.

Cindy, I will try my next red floral with the black dots. I never would have thought to even do that, but depth is exactly what I have a problem with. The reds especially look 2-D. I may skip the goldstone too. I burn the heck out of it still as well. At least I think that is what happened.

Hi Mike, Yup, metal shanks. I am afraid that glass loops would snap off in time. Its also easier for me to get them into the Kiln.

Vangie & Emily, thanks for the nice words.

Starleen