PDA

View Full Version : HOw to get a matte surface?

Pentimento
09-28-2004, 10:42 PM
I accidentally discovered that black gesso gives a beautiful, brushstroke-free, matte surface. I've been trying to experiment with reflective (gloss) and matte areas on the same painting but I'm running into lots of problems.

Does anyone know if black gesso can be left as a final coat? Or will it eventually yellow or powder off or something? If not, what can I put on it that will not destroy the flatness? Even matte medium (a little mixed in with the gesso) still gives it a sheen that I don't really want.

Richard Saylor
09-28-2004, 10:57 PM
Golden makes matte acrylic colors, which dry to a uniform flat finish.
http://www.goldenpaints.com/products/color/fluid/matfld1.php

FWIW I like both matte and gloss, but I use gouache for matte and acrylics for gloss. Gouache is wonderful stuff, but it takes a little getting used to.

timelady
09-29-2004, 03:39 AM
I like the matte finish too! Some of my colours are naturally glossy (like quin magenta) so I finish off paintings with a matt varnish. Golden now does a spray MSA matte varnish too, so it's even easier. :) (though a bit pricey - 15 a can here)

I don't think you'll have any problem with the black gesso long-term anyway. :)

Tina.

Einion
09-29-2004, 11:12 AM
If you want to maintain areas of dead-flat paint and other areas that have some sheen then varnishing is out. I would advise framing your work behind glass in this case as a protective measure.

Einion