PDA

View Full Version : Mark Twain w.i.p.

Faded
09-28-2004, 07:29 PM
This is my latest from class, I have been working on it for 3 sessions. I really like the challenge of doing these in grisaille (all greys, b&w) I started with the progress after 2 weeks, the first step is painting the canvas a medium grey and transferring the photo to the canvas with a projector. Next, I painted the background in dark grey, and began adding the light highlights.
3rd week, I spread medium on the canvas in small areas , then began blending the darks and lights together to soften the shadows. This will take a few more weeks to finish, so I will post my progress as I go along.This is 12x16 on gallery wrap. All comments welcome. Thanks
-Faded

jbitzel
09-29-2004, 07:29 AM
Wow, this is very inspiring, nice subject matter too! :clap: I love Sammy :clap:

Lady Carol
09-29-2004, 08:44 AM
I have never tried grisaille, so this will be very informative. It is looking great so far.

lensman
09-29-2004, 12:08 PM
Looking good so far, but could you explain this some more:

I spread medium on the canvas in small areas , then began blending the darks and lights together to soften the shadows.

Are you saying that you still had some useable dark and light paint which you blended with the medium (and what medium did you use?), or did you recreate the colours? I'm asking because I really like the way you have achieved this blending effect.

Glenn

ExpressiveAngie
09-29-2004, 12:11 PM
Thank you for doing this as a work in progress :clap:

Charlie's Mum
09-29-2004, 12:34 PM
This grisaille really gives a very sculptural effect doesn't it?
It's very impressive! :)

Charlie's Mum
09-29-2004, 12:42 PM
Just as a matter of interest - I remember Odge (Jo, New Zealand) doing a rose using a similar method some months ago.....here's the link for anyone interested.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165721

Eileenjm
09-29-2004, 03:40 PM
Hi Faded, This is looking really good. I always enjoy your work so will be following this thread with great interest. :)

Eileen

Faded
10-02-2004, 07:23 AM
Thanks everyone :) We use grisaille sets in class. My teacher gets the individual tubes from Martin Weber Co.. Each set contains Ivory Black, Grisaille Dark, Medium grey, Grisaille Light, Titanium white and warm white.
She took the medium grey to a paint store and had them match the color, then buys it by the quart. This is what is used to paint the canvas to begin with. If a mistake is made later on, it can be corrected by painting the area with the medium grey and starting over.
This week I worked with the grisaille dark, medium grey and grisaille light and titanium white to continue building the facial structure, also adding dimension to the hair. I also started softening the wrinkles in the jacket. I use a product called "Brush and Blend" I apply some to the canvas in the area I am going to work on, then I can blend the darks and lights together over it. It's a slow process, but the results seem to be worth it.
As always, all comments welcome. Thanks
-Faded

ExpressiveAngie
10-02-2004, 07:30 AM
Awesome.
This is just coming alongso perfectly.

billiam
10-03-2004, 07:34 PM
looking good, i'll be watching, interesting. bill

nes7827
10-04-2004, 04:28 PM
You picked my favorite person out of practically all history.....do him right! (you already are)

Faded
10-09-2004, 10:07 AM
Thanks for your interest everyone It probably looks like I haven't done much this week, but that's the chance I take posting w.i.p...lol. I worked only on the clothing this week, continuing to blend the folds and wrinkles, trying to make it looks soft, no hard edges. It's taking a while, but I'm pretty happy with the results so far. I am finding that the details are a little tough to discern. Due to the flash technology used at the time this photo was taken, the whites are very bright, making some of the jacket and shirt hard to make out. I'll figure it out :) All comments welcome. Thanks
-Faded

ExpressiveAngie
10-10-2004, 06:34 AM
:wave:
thanks for the update, it is really coming along nicely, yes I can see subtle changes.

Lady Carol
10-10-2004, 09:08 AM
David:
Hurry up and finish this. Can't wait!!!!

Faded
10-16-2004, 11:32 AM
Thanks again everyone. This week I finished off the clothing. As I said in an earlier post, the flash made the details of his shirt very difficult to make out. I ended up making a cravat ( only had to do it over 3 times...lol) with an onyx stickpin. I am pretty happy with the result, so the extra time was worth it. I also worked the jawline, and the shadowing around the eyes. I am hoping to have this done in one, at the most, 2 more sessions. I appreciate everyone's patience, that's the thing doing these portraits has really taught me, taking my time pays off. Any and all comments welcome Thanks
-Faded

Faded
10-29-2004, 04:26 PM
Well after several weeks of work, I have finally finished Mr Twain. While I am certain there is room for improvement, I am pretty happy with the results.After all, it's only my 3rd protrait ;) All comments welcome. Thanks
-Faded

Tridun
10-29-2004, 06:52 PM
Beautiful job, and fun to follow too!! Thanks for being brave enough to do a WIP for us all :clap:
You have inspired me to try this colour technique! (at some point :wink2: )

Patricia