PDA

View Full Version : Paint over tracing paper?

Kivrin65
09-28-2004, 06:45 PM
Help! I used rubber cement on tracing paper to mask off an area of my acrylic painting and now I am having trouble getting the tracing paper off. I've never had this trouble before. If I can't get it all off, can I paint over it? I've tried rubber cement thinner and turpenoid to get it off.

Alena Hope
09-28-2004, 07:00 PM
I have one solutions in mind. but first you have to decide how much you like your tracing paper. if you just rip it off you can smooth down the rubber cememt and residual paper with sandpaper (if your working on canvas). Are you working on canvas or paper, if you just paint over the paper and its on canvas you are going to have a different texture then what you would expect with canvas. if your working on paper you may have visible seems where the paper edge is, and on paper the sanding wont work. good luck.

Einion
09-28-2004, 09:11 PM
You shouldn't paint over rubber cement in any form ideally. You used this as an adhesive for the tracing paper yes? If you have a proprietary thinner for this it should dissolve it but it might be having trouble soaking into it completely through the tracing paper. You might possibly have made the problem worse by allowing it to soak into the support - you should use a solvent for rubber cement only on a completely non-absorbent ground.

Try lifting a corner of the paper, enough so you can get a good grip with your fingers, then try peeling the paper off the surface back along itself, not at 90 degrees but at 180 degrees if you see what I mean.

If there's any residue of the rubber cement left afterwards you can pick this up most effectively with a little ball of dried rubber cement - in the dried form it sticks to itself better than most anything else! If you still have trouble lifting it it's likely penetrated the surface you applied it to I'm afraid. In which case you can try cleaning it off with cotton wool soaked in the solvent (or lighter fluid - Ronsonol) but you might find it difficult to remove all traces and fresh paint won't adhere to it very well. Remember to use good ventilation if you try this and wearing vinyl gloves is probably a good idea too.

Einion

Kivrin65
09-30-2004, 11:47 AM
Thanks very much for your suggestions. My painting is on board. I finally tried water to take it off & it actually worked very well. :clap: