PDA

View Full Version : Great coverup

Osteomark
09-28-2004, 09:05 AM
I am working on a sunset with MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.Graham acrylics. I stress the M because they are great to work with. Dry on canvas pretty quickly. I didn't like the rocks and water and wanted to change to a differnt scene and keep the sunset and voila I just painted over the rocks and made light blue water. It looks much better. Now I have a great underpainting to work with. I'm telling you this because I've been so biased towards WC. I'm real close to converting to acrylics solely. Well atleast for a few months.

I read the M.Graham brochure on all their paints. I'm even considering the oils to try because they are made with non toxic walnut oil. They said you can thin with walnut oil also. And no stench of turpintine or other toxic solvents :clap:

Mark

Lady Carol
09-28-2004, 09:57 AM
Hello mark,
please don't keep us in suspence. Would love to see the painting.

Osteomark
09-28-2004, 10:35 AM
Carol,

Hopefully can post tomorrow. At work now. Great quote.

Mark

Osteomark
09-28-2004, 10:36 AM
Carol,

Will post tomorrow or next day. Am at work now. Some people may not like my work. Too vibrant or VanGoish as my wife puts it. I like it though and thats what keeps me motivated.

Thanks

Mark

ExpressiveAngie
09-28-2004, 10:39 AM
I love too vibrant and Van Goish! :D

jbitzel
09-28-2004, 10:59 AM
what is this foreplay.... out with it man.... don't keep us in suspense.... :wink2:

Osteomark
09-28-2004, 11:08 AM
Oh no! now I've set everyone up. I hope your not disappointed.

Mark

mooz49
09-28-2004, 11:13 AM
Now you know this suspense is not good for our health!! :crying:
How long will it be before you are home? :wave:

Osteomark
09-28-2004, 11:23 AM
Tonight I'll break out the Kodak digital and pop it on the computer. Actually I'm excited to see how acrylics look on computer. I'v posted many pastels that look true in color.

Mark

ExpressiveAngie
09-28-2004, 11:40 AM
Tonight I'll break out the Kodak digital and pop it on the computer. Actually I'm excited to see how acrylics look on computer. I'v posted many pastels that look true in color.

Mark

Ohhh Mark - I swear I have to fight to get a decent pic of my acrylics while the pastels are much easier to get true colors the first time. :evil: sorry for the bad news and maybe you won't have trouble, I hope not anyway.

Osteomark
09-28-2004, 11:42 AM
Mooz,

I should be OK with vibrancey. I saw your Sunrise at Fairhead. Bright!!!

Mark

Charlie's Mum
09-28-2004, 11:47 AM
Just booked a front row seat here.........any goodies while we wait?

ExpressiveAngie
09-28-2004, 11:48 AM
Just booked a front row seat here.........any goodies while we wait?
I am eating chocolate Teddy Grahams....want some?

mooz49
09-28-2004, 11:50 AM
OMG!! I had forgotten about that one .......... maybe I should delete it :o
My colours are more subdued at the moment ........... from one extreme to the other! :D

mooz49
09-28-2004, 11:56 AM
Pastel Mama - I would take some chocolate Teddy Grahams but I am going to weightwatchers tonight! :envy:

Mark - I hope you don't mind us waiting here in your thread! :wave:

Osteomark
09-28-2004, 12:03 PM
Oh ee vaay! (say phonetically) I'm in NY and can't get to this until 10pm.
Any tips on using spatula's I'm thinking of using it in some rocks near a lighthouse I'm going to put in the painting. Oh Oh I'm giving away my painting already. Might as well tell more. I want to put in a view from a boat bow. I'd like to get the bow railing reflecting the sunset in front and on top of railing the light blue sky directly above.

Mark

jbitzel
09-28-2004, 12:12 PM
mooz I like your winters scene :clap:

Osteomark
09-28-2004, 12:17 PM
James,

Is that Mike Schmidt of the Phillies? I havent followed bball that much.

Mark

HRH Goldie
09-28-2004, 12:24 PM
Mark you are very naughty for not posting your pic with this thread! :wink2:
BTW I don't know where you work but you are obviously hooked up to the internet as you are keeping a very keen eye on this thread - I bet there are a lot would like a job where they can keep tabs on WC! What bliss :D
I'll check back later and it had better be here - or there'll beee trooouuuublllleeee :evil:

Christine

Osteomark
09-28-2004, 12:59 PM
christine,

Yep internet at work. Happy Birthday early.

Mark

HRH Goldie
09-28-2004, 01:04 PM
Awww thanks Mark - somebody noticed :D

No age telling though :o

Christine

jbitzel
09-28-2004, 01:09 PM
James,

Is that Mike Schmidt of the Phillies? I havent followed bball that much.

Mark

Yes it is I did that a long time ago though. :wave:

mooz49
09-29-2004, 02:30 AM
Mark - we are still waiting! see us all waving ............
:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

HRH Goldie
09-29-2004, 01:20 PM
Hmmmm - Is this guy pulling our leg - is there a painting or are you bluffing :confused:
I say put your money where your mouth is and show us!!!! :evil:

Christine

Osteomark
09-30-2004, 12:07 PM
Please standby. Massive digital technical difficulties. I downloaded the pictures to my computer and I have been searching for 2 hours for them. :mad: :mad: :mad: I feel like a wingnut here. I have to go home to get the card out of the camera again. I'm not going to leave you hanging.

mark

Osteomark
09-30-2004, 01:11 PM
OK here goes. Hope it works.

Mark

Johnnie
09-30-2004, 01:26 PM
OK here goes. Hope it works.

Mark

OOOPPPPsss ! Hate to say this It Didn't

Johnnie

mooz49
09-30-2004, 01:31 PM
"Great Coverup" is certainly a good name for this thread Mark!
Don't worry we are really very patient folk! :wave:

Osteomark
09-30-2004, 01:35 PM
Yeah Haw. a little tall

Mark

Osteomark
09-30-2004, 01:35 PM
I'll post the WIP one now

Mark

Osteomark
09-30-2004, 01:52 PM
WIP The sun needs to be smaller I can see that now. I want to put lighthouse on the left with reflection from sunset and boat bow on right( or should that be starboar. lol)

Mark

Osteomark
09-30-2004, 02:09 PM
Heres the latest. A golf hole in the evening at my country club. I cann't seem to get the clouds pink orange color to look correct. It looks like smoke :mad: Probably shouldn't make the pink come out of the trees. Then you could tell they were clouds.

Mark

mooz49
09-30-2004, 04:04 PM
Great atmosphere in the first one ...... I love it. :clap: :clap: :clap: Looking forward to see what you do with the second one and making the clouds look like clouds will greatly improve the third one. Great work Mark ....... well worth the long long wait!! :D :wave:

Charlie's Mum
09-30-2004, 04:25 PM
Ouch! Stop pushing me will ya?
Oi!, who woke me up?
Oh. I see - he's posted at last? Right.........wait 'til I find my specs.........
oooooooh, like that sunset. :)
Lost the ball in the hole - probably that pink smoke - did he say 'clouds'?
The lighthouse and the boat will certainly add something to the seascape - wake me please when he's done!!!!!!! :evil: :wink2: :D :wave:
Oh, yes, nice water!

Osteomark
09-30-2004, 05:31 PM
Thank Charles! I wish could loose the ball in the hole in one shot!!! I'll get the fire extinguisher to put out the smoke.

Mark

ExpressiveAngie
09-30-2004, 06:09 PM
So Mark, how do you like the paintbrush? I love my pastels but there is something so painterly about the brush huh? :wink2:

Osteomark
09-30-2004, 07:10 PM
Love the brush! I bought some Bob Ross brushes. 1" round, 1" oval and 2" background brush. I also bought one of his books. Can you do acrylics using oil painting instructions I wonder?

Thanks

Mark

Osteomark
10-01-2004, 08:40 AM
Here is stage 2 of golf. I put out the smoke. Much better.

Mark

Osteomark
10-01-2004, 09:12 AM
Here is the sunset WIP. The flash does weird things. Those vertical lines on painting aren't there actually. There now I have the whole bow railing in. You cann't believe the trick I just discovered. Since the pixel maximum is 500x600. I kept loosing the rightside of the painting. I rotated the painting 180* and lost on the old left side perfectly and then rerotated and voila perfect. Whole painting at your view. Woops sorry lost some lighthouse Uggggh.

Mark

Charlie's Mum
10-01-2004, 09:43 AM
Hello Mark! :wave:
On a more serious note, could I make a little suggestion about the golf pic?
The sky's much better BTW!
The tree in the R/hand corner would be better placed if you lifted it off the bottom of the pic - it would allow the grass to lead you in from the corner.If you could alter it, it would also help to move it a little to the L to bring it into the picture more, and allow other horizontals to go behind the tree and appear on the R again. Hope this helps, because you don't seem averse to having suggestions made! :D

Osteomark
10-01-2004, 09:58 AM
Maureen,

I'm up for any suggestions. I'll do that and I get to make the orange clouds again to the left because the shifted tree will cover them. I love practicing painting because you only get better.

Thanks again

Mark

HRH Goldie
10-01-2004, 10:26 AM
Hi Mark, Lol at "Charles" - I take it he means you Maureen! :p
The golf painting is very painterly a style that seems to evade me so I'm watching with interest.
The sunset is coming along but what is that going to be in foreground right? Just I'm impatient you see :wink2:

Tip - I've learned from bad experience that if you want true colour replication or near to it when taking digi photos then you should place your painting flat on the ground in good light but not brilliant sunshine - outdoors is preferable and leave flash off altogether. I know this isn't always possible but placing on a flat eliminates the flare somewhat.

Hope this helps.

Christine

ExpressiveAngie
10-01-2004, 11:08 AM
Tip - I've learned from bad experience that if you want true colour replication or near to it when taking digi photos then you should place your painting flat on the ground in good light but not brilliant sunshine - outdoors is preferable and leave flash off altogether. I know this isn't always possible but placing on a flat eliminates the flare somewhat.

Hope this helps.

Christine

Altho I still fight my pics-- this is the best advice I have seen on taking pics of paintings :cat:

Osteomark
10-01-2004, 11:18 AM
I do lay my pastel paintings flat on the ground and get true colors. I'll try that with the acrylics. I love the way I can cover up anything unlike WC. The railing was giving me fits last PM. I'm bad with curvea and perspective. I kept using the blue water color to cover up the railing when it didn't look right. I have to make the railing more silver also. The lighthouse will come next and then maybe another bow to middle right to fill some space. Love the comments.

Mark

mooz49
10-01-2004, 02:27 PM
You are doing great Mark! :clap: :clap:
I like the humour in your posts too. :D

Osteomark
10-01-2004, 04:21 PM
I love painting :D . Something just came over me and I just had to say that.

Mark

Osteomark
10-09-2004, 02:35 PM
Ok nearly done, sorry it took so long. Any suggestions. The sunside windows aren't level I see. The horizon is level just tilted on easle.

Thanks,

Mark