PDA

View Full Version : Not the Black Pearl....

Mike Finn
09-28-2004, 04:57 AM
... but the closest reference I could find.... Don't you just love that movie...."Pirates of the Carribean". Anyway opinions, tips, critiques always welcome. I did try to use an impasto style here but the paint (Atelier) is a bit too fluid for that. I have ordered some impasto medium to try but are there any other thickening methods out there..?

18"x24" canvas.

Mike Finn

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Sep-2004/41667-yacht.jpg

gnu
09-28-2004, 05:28 AM
wow this is an exciting composition, gotta love those sails awesome job!! :clap: :clap:
You're going to love that medium..I don't paint much without it now..there's nothing else I know that you'll be satisfied with..the texture is zero(smooooth)
and colour unchanged..I don't even hesitate to buy it, it's essential now to me..(and anyway, no more spending on brushes!!)
You can use modelling paste or other stuff to create texturised canvas first, but I think that's a whole other look, which I will try soon..
You could do with a tinsey bit more darks on the boat to bring it in as the focus, otherwise..lovely!!

Mike Finn
09-28-2004, 05:38 AM
Thanks Gill...

Good to hear.. In real life the stern is almost black... I photographed this under a reading lamp so it's lost contrast. But I am glad you recommend the medium.... any tips on mixing ratios..??

Mike Finn

jbitzel
09-28-2004, 07:59 AM
Yes I hear modeling paste is definately the way to go. :wave:

ExpressiveAngie
09-28-2004, 08:23 AM
Mike - yes Pirates of the caribbean is one of my fav movies!
I really like your painting the sky, the sails, the movement...all awesome.

wspe
09-28-2004, 12:53 PM
arrowroot works
just try it

Bertoni
09-28-2004, 06:43 PM
Mike:
Love those sails!!! :clap:
Speaking of texture, I've even used fine sand mixed with acrylic medium and painted on when dry!

gnu
09-29-2004, 01:27 AM
Mike
I use the Atelier Impasto Gel half and half..just guess this....:), mix and apply.(sounds like a face pack :D:D:D )
The modelling paste is like using sand, the feel is not my fave thing..it's just plonked on as is, then paint over, any technique other than that I haven't tried., oh also, this makes for a matt finish too..
Bertoni. that sounds interesting too..
OK folks now we need to see some exmples to inspire us..go on, treat us to another thread using texture..