PDA

View Full Version : Landscape - is it finished?

lensman
09-27-2004, 09:41 PM
Storm Rolling In

Well, it's been a while, but I finally got a landscape finished. Or is it? I have worked on this so long it's hard for me to look at it objectively.

Acrylic on 14 x 18 canvas panel. Impressionistic, mostly created with knife.

So, what do you think? Can I sign and coat? Or does it need more work?

Glenn

pameladallaire
09-27-2004, 10:11 PM
I like the first one and couldn't figured out why the second one bothered me, then I realized the sky, grass, road and hills all connected at the same point on the canvas. Maybe the hills should go further left? Just a thought. Pam :)

lensman
09-27-2004, 10:15 PM
Guess I should have clarified: The second shot is simply a detail of the first.

Glenn

Bertoni
09-28-2004, 08:22 AM
I think I prefer the way the second one is cropped! But that's only one opinion! Nice work! :clap:

jbitzel
09-28-2004, 08:27 AM
I like the first, it shows off the clouds, but where is the easy rider? :clap:

ExpressiveAngie
09-28-2004, 08:35 AM
Wow Glenn. I really like this and yes it looks lovely and Finished to me! :clap:

lensman
09-30-2004, 01:02 PM
Wow, the Acrylics forum sure does get a lot of postings. This one disappeared off the first page soon after I wrote it... Thanks to those who responded. I guess I have to assume from lack of opinion otherwise that it is pretty much finished?

Glenn

piazzi
09-30-2004, 04:25 PM
nice work, colors are very harmonious, I like it as it is and not cropped :clap: what did you mix your paint with to get the impastos?

Charlie's Mum
09-30-2004, 04:31 PM
I like the colours very much.
Just a little concerned about all the elements merging on one point though - and the rather crude centre white line - bit too thick and obvious?
I do like the texture too! :)

katz
09-30-2004, 07:38 PM
One thing imo would be an improvement would be to vary the clumps of trees, in width and height. Also lighten and blue your greens in the distance if you want to use atmospheric perspective.
Nice use of color.
Katz

lensman
09-30-2004, 09:18 PM
nice work, colors are very harmonious, I like it as it is and not cropped :clap: what did you mix your paint with to get the impastos?
Thanks. I used Liquitex, Matt Opaque Gel Extender with quite a bit of paint. Probably a 50/50 ratio, really.

I like the colours very much.
Just a little concerned about all the elements merging on one point though - and the rather crude centre white line - bit too thick and obvious?
I do like the texture too!
Bang on with the white line. That's something that stuck out at me after I saw the image online. The merging elements I don't mind too much. The road goes off into the distance and around the hills (it's based on a real scene) so would naturally be close to the hills. Not that I had to artistically leave it true but it never occurred to me to change it!

One thing imo would be an improvement would be to vary the clumps of trees, in width and height. Also lighten and blue your greens in the distance if you want to use atmospheric perspective.
Nice use of color.
I did try to do that and IRL it looks much better; the colours as a whole don't show up too well here. Will have to take another look at it.

Thanks, everyone, for the comments.

Glenn

sassybird
09-30-2004, 10:33 PM
I like the detail shot better because it takes the attention away from the pin point horizon the whole piece shows with the road and crops along side. As it is that leads the eye to one point instead of leading the eye around and into the painting. I do like the textures and the clouds in this piece.

sassybird
09-30-2004, 10:34 PM
I like the detail shot better because it takes the attention away from the pin point horizon the whole piece shows with the road and crops along side. As it is that leads the eye to one point instead of leading the eye around and into the painting. I do like the textures and the clouds in this piece. If you showed the road winding around towards the left or the right it would add more interest to the piece and give the eye something to follow in the painting.