PDA

View Full Version : Using brayers - acrylic on canvas

bigblackbox
09-27-2004, 07:38 PM
Hi, I've been using brayers to put acrylics on canvas, and partly like the effect I'm getting. But I have a few questions if anyone else has tried this.

First, the results I like best are with a soft rubber brayer (speedball). I've also tried hard rubber and a small, cheap foam brayer and don't like them as much (hard one doesn't seem to make good contact with canvas and foam covers things too lightly or you lose too much texture). Any other ideas for brayers to use? I'm sure paint rollers would work, but anyone have experience with different types, etc. Right now I'm working on medium sized canvases, so the big paint rollers are usually too big. 4" rubber brayer is a good size, but I'd also like smaller ones.

Second, I've been trying to mix both heavy body and liquid paint (Golden) with a variety of mediums - GAC 100, acrylic glazing liquid, soft gel gloss and matte. I haven't found a "texture" (thickness, tack) that I like a lot and works well with the brayer. Things work well enough, but I wanted to see if anyone had other suggestions.

Thanks.

HRH Goldie
09-27-2004, 08:50 PM
It might be an idea if you could give us a picture of what you've been doing if that's possible. It's always really useful to have a point of reference and that way we can see exactly what you mean :)

Christine

bigblackbox
09-27-2004, 10:57 PM
I'm just experimenting. I thought people might have suggestions of other things to try.

gnu
09-28-2004, 01:33 AM
is a brayer a roller rubber thing used for silk printing?
cool..
I bought some mini sponge rollers for this, not used them yet..they are only 3-4"across too..I bought two sets.they also come with a tray..very cool..
you might like to look around at your local hardware store..thye may have them, these cost me only $2 a set!!!
you better show us something though, we're all dying of curiosity now.. :rolleyes: :D

timelady
09-28-2004, 04:05 AM
I've used rollers too. :) I brought my printmaking rollers with me on my residency where I forced myself to use acrylics. It was fun! I was working at the time on canvas staple-gun stretched directly onto the wall. The hard rollers were fine for that but it took quite a bit of paint. I have bought some small rollers for house painting that have the fuzzy roller but for some reason they don't work as well. I think they're *too* absorbant so you lose half the paint to the roller.

Tina.

bigblackbox
09-28-2004, 10:35 PM
I think they're *too* absorbant so you lose half the paint to the roller.

Tina.

I was thinking that too, but still thinking there might be something good in a hardware store somewhere. So far, the soft rubber brayer works best for me, but they are so expensive.

bigblackbox
09-28-2004, 10:37 PM
you better show us something though, we're all dying of curiosity now.. :rolleyes: :D

hehe, well i have a few that i like, but i'm not sure where to go with them (i'm very much a novice painter). maybe i'll post them for show-and-advice. but my partner has the digital camera in hawaii right now, so it will be a couple days.

Lady Carol
09-28-2004, 10:49 PM
What's a brayer? :o

romell
09-29-2004, 12:03 AM
Like this one:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Sep-2004/45988-brayer.jpg

HRH Goldie
09-29-2004, 01:24 PM
Have you tried mixing pva glue and for all those that know me - Yes here I go again but I still rate it as a medium.
Just a word of caution - don't let it dry on the brayer heads or your brushes.
If texture is too sticky add water to get the consistency you need.
You might like the results.
Also rubber stamping can be used with acrylics too. :wave:

Christine

Lady Carol
09-29-2004, 03:24 PM
Like this one:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Sep-2004/45988-brayer.jpg

Oh!!!

Interesting. Doesn't it add a funny texture?

bigblackbox
09-29-2004, 05:16 PM
Oh!!!

Interesting. Doesn't it add a funny texture?

It does add a texture. The foam, I find, is a different texture than rubber; and I like the rubber better.

Some more brayers:
http://www.dickblick.com/categories/brayers/