PDA

View Full Version : Finished Jewelry Thread - Share yours! :)

Laura Brito
09-27-2004, 01:32 PM
:)

Here are some things I did yesterday, I finally got a temporary setup in my new house in Mexico! Whew, it has been a long 2 years that I have not made beads on a regular basis! I am pretty happy with these items.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Sep-2004/9304-earrings1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Sep-2004/9304-earrings2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Sep-2004/9304-earrings3.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Sep-2004/9304-pendant2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Sep-2004/9304-pendant3.jpg

I am getting ready to start working today as well! :) . All my items here are made with borosilicate glass.

Shawn T.
09-27-2004, 01:53 PM
Laura,
Beautiful just stunning jewelry. My favorite is the last one. The colors really pop in that pendant.
I shared these in the finished jewelry thread for the month, but it was so late in the thread they got lost, so I will post them again.
I am getting ready for a high end Fine Arts Show on October 7-8.
I have stopped making beads, till all my jewelry is finished. It is killing me not to get on the torch, but I hope to have 500 finished pieces!

The last pic. is a necklace Preston, my 6yo made the other night while Mommy was making her jewelry. I thought it was too cute, so had to share it with all of you. and attached a pic of Preston, my cutie pie.

Shawn

acbeads_com
09-27-2004, 03:11 PM
Laura--awesome earrings and I love the bead in the last pendant--gorgeous!
Shawn--Beautiful bracelet and stunning necklaces!!! Is the focal on the 3rd pix a "large kalera" ?

here's my contribution. not much doing to turn them into jewelry--but hey, they work :)

boheme'
09-27-2004, 04:13 PM
Here's one I made last week - shared it in the S&T. Steel blue raku.

Deb

CharleneN
09-27-2004, 04:30 PM
Everybody's finished jewelry is just beautiful. Here is a simple bracelet made with tongue pink and raku frit.

edited to add: Shawn, you've got a budding designer there! :)

beachbeads
09-27-2004, 05:16 PM
Beautiful work from everyone today. it's nice to see you post again Laura, I have always admired your work. Here is a necklace I made Saturday for a co-workers birthday. Moretti lampwork beads of transparent glass topped with a combination of raku, iris gold and silver blue frit. The lampwork is accented with carnelian and amethyst beads and sterling bead caps. Sheila

loloandkiko
09-27-2004, 07:39 PM
Here is a lush purple necklace that I completed recently.
Cheers,
Lori

Shawn T.
09-27-2004, 08:38 PM
Laura--awesome earrings and I love the bead in the last pendant--gorgeous!
Shawn--Beautiful bracelet and stunning necklaces!!! Is the focal on the 3rd pix a "large kalera" ?

here's my contribution. not much doing to turn them into jewelry--but hey, they work :)

Yes, the 3rd pic is the large Kalera. I love this shape, as it comes out so well even if you make it smaller. Where did you get your pendant drops? I have been looking for some more of them.

Thanks Charlene, Preston loves to make jewelry and even wears it. Love you raku.

Deb, the stell blue with with Raku what a beautiful combo.

Sheila, Love the bracelet, Carnelian is one of my favrote, wonderful shape on the glass beads.

Lori, the purple is fab.

Laurie Carroll
09-27-2004, 09:47 PM
I have enjoyed loking at all of those.....

Have a question though after making only my second bracelet.....

How long are they?? ie the piece of cord/wire etc???? is there a standard length....

Thx....
Laurie

BeadBraker
09-27-2004, 10:02 PM
Here's mine...gotta a show in November...so getting ready.

Laurie, make your bracelets to fit a 6.50 - 7.25 wrist. That seems most common to me. You gotta use something like a bottle that measures that around. big lampwork takes up more room, so a fat lampwork bracelet and tiny lampwork bead bracelet that fit the SAME bottle, when lain FLAT will measure differently.

Nancy B in IL

Shawn T.
09-27-2004, 10:43 PM
I have enjoyed loking at all of those.....

Have a question though after making only my second bracelet.....

How long are they?? ie the piece of cord/wire etc???? is there a standard length....

Thx....
Laurie

Laurie,
My wrist is a 6, but I have a good friend who's is over an 8. So I make them all lenghts and then offer to resize them at my shows. It only takes me about 3-5 min. to restring them so no big deal, since they are paying a lot for them.
Usually I have 6.5, 7.0, 7.5, and a few 8 inch bracelets. It is easier to take the beads off then to find matching ones, to add to it. :D
Shawn

prncsk
09-27-2004, 10:53 PM
I think standard length is 7.5 inches. If I'm using a trigger or lobster clasp, I'll end one end of the bracelet right into a length of chain and make it adjustable! No more re-stringing!

Karen

sadiesjewels
09-28-2004, 01:00 AM
Yep,

I aim to make all mine 7.5 ... of course some end up slightly smaller and some slightly larger depending on the beads, the clasp and the stringing!

Love what you've shown so far Shawn - and you really do have a talented cutie there!

sadie

BeadBraker
09-28-2004, 09:46 AM
BTW, the book by Kate McKinnon has excellent "resizing" techniques for shows.

Basically, you string the body of the bracelet for the SMALLEST size wrist (let's say 6.25) and then you wire the toggle bar with silver wire, (2 loops, one that toggle bar is attached to, and one "empty"). The flex wire is attached to the empty loop.

Then if somebody bigger wants THAT bracelet, you snip off the wire, and attach a NEW wire, extending it as far as you need to, and if it is pretty far, then you let them choose a bead to slide onto the wire b/w loops.

This way you don't 'break' the body of the bracelet and it is faster.

Just a thought. I also use the chain link on one end, lobster clasp on other method.....gives about 1/2 inch "play" in adjustability. AND it is better for people buying for other people...and they don't know their wrist size.

You can see what I mean in the photo below.
Nancy B in IL

jessicah
09-28-2004, 10:09 AM
Here's mine...gotta a show in November...so getting ready.

Laurie, make your bracelets to fit a 6.50 - 7.25 wrist. That seems most common to me. You gotta use something like a bottle that measures that around. big lampwork takes up more room, so a fat lampwork bracelet and tiny lampwork bead bracelet that fit the SAME bottle, when lain FLAT will measure differently.

Nancy B in IL
Great tip! thanks!
Can I ask you about the watches? Are they on elastic? How do you finish them off? Do you knot the elastic or crimp? Sorry, so many questions, I have tons of watch faces and don't know what to do with them.
:D

BeadBraker
09-28-2004, 11:08 AM
Watches....this is an experiment...and yes on elastic. I had "problems" getting watches to fit...bracelets can dangle and turn, but people want their watches to fit snug and hold still.

So....trying elastic. I knot them, start with ends in each hand: right over left, repeat. Left over right, repeat. I believe Kate says not to crimp or glue. Only knot when using elastic.

I am wearing one today to see how it wears.

I am noticing that FLAT beads on the bottom of wrist work well, and 'bumpy' beads are leaving indentations in my wrist.
Good luck!
Nancy

jennakate
09-28-2004, 01:24 PM
here's some of mine... no lampwork in my jewellery though, because i'm a newbie and still need a kiln!

lepoppet
09-29-2004, 10:04 PM
Ode to the Cactus Gods...from me

maria

tigerlil
09-29-2004, 10:32 PM
wow - what beautiful pieces to goggle over! * drool *

Shawn, good luck with the 500 pieces~~these ones are beautiful. You know I like the green & orange. You really are wonder woman! What is a Kalera bead? very pretty :music: Good job Preston! :clap:

So much great stuff I see!!

Maria, what a lovely cactus collection - very beautiful.

nice originals, Jenna Kate--like the tiley bracelet!!

love all the gorgeous raku, too~~~Sheila nice colors on that pretty focal~

those are lovely Charlene (tongue pink, huh?, might have to try that!)

Deb is the steel blue making the colors pop more on the raku--it's a fabulous combo!

those are awesome watches & beads, Nancy--very well done.

beautiful stuff from Lori, too.

Oh and of course, Laura~~those are very well made and gorgeous earrings...I like that last one the best, too~~I like the purple alot, too--they're all lovely

here's a nceklace I made with peridot stones and my own murrini beads