PDA

View Full Version : Sunday nite I have some beads! .....

moondanse
09-26-2004, 10:44 PM
Hiya, guys..:-)

These beads are pitiful, of course...but THAT'S OK!! I kinda LIKE the colors, and, certainly, I need to work on the technique...

I have yet to lay a proper footing for my beads, and to get a nice pucker...one would think that would be my first priority, but I am having F U N playing with color and dots...OH...Are any of you "newbies" finding it hard to PPP--rather than play? That's me. Corina says to "do the work"...Beth says to "do the work"--I TOTALLYadmire both of them, and will continue with rounds AND cones (I like cones) until I get it right...but...I WANNA PLAY!!!

And, I have had about *20* hours on the torch, so I know LESS THAN NOTHING!!! Pay NO ATTENTION TO ME! And that is obvious, of course..... I just like to post things here that are a milestone for ME...and milestones for me are EASY to come by...LOL...

These beads are:
Opal Yellow (SHOCKY!)
Light Ivory
Intense Black
Goldstone filigrana (SHOCKY!)
iris gold reduction frit stringer
r-108 frit (reduced) *AND* pulled into THICK stringers for a bead...
copper green (reduced) (I think)

I think that's it....

I had fun with this combo...just wanting to share and share the laffs!

I so much enjoy this forum and want to be a part of it--even tho I have nothing to offer, I keep trying...LOL!

I admire the posts here--all of the GORGEOUS beads--s i g h !!

xoticbead
09-26-2004, 11:07 PM
Wellllll from my standpoint I don't think they look that bad. Not as bad as my first beads. My first 30 +/- beads would be broken when I pulled them out of the vermiculite ( sp?). They were all lopsided & I burned the color out of many of them. Keep at it you'll reach your goal.
Liz

xoticbead
09-26-2004, 11:10 PM
Oh come on they arn't as bad as you think. My first beads all broke, burned the color out of them and they were lopsided, give yourself a pat on the back, you'll reach your goal
Liz

xoticbead
09-26-2004, 11:13 PM
Geeeeez ... sorry guys, my computer is fibbing to me again. It told me the web site was not responding and to try again later. So like a dummy I did a second one before I checked the thread to see if the original one had gone through
Liz

DebbieSue
09-26-2004, 11:40 PM
After reading the first sentence of your post, I was prepared for some REALLY BAD beads. LOL! They're not so bad at all. Like has already been said, you should have seen my first beads. I threw them away, they were so bad. For a newbie, I'd say you're doing really well. (Actually, I still throw away many of my beads :wink2: )

Debbie

Beth Myers
09-26-2004, 11:57 PM
Lauren,
Those are very good beads! I am proud of you! Now I never said NOT to have fun, play is the way you learn! :D
I play all the time, I'm Dr. Frankenstein, in the lab, creating monsters day after day, and I love it. Keeps me coming back to the torch. If it werent fun, then it would be just the same thing as going to the dentist, ack.
Good job!! :clap:
Beth

collectiblesbyrose
09-27-2004, 12:16 AM
Moondanse, I know exactly what you mean about playing when you should be ppp! :D Actually, I think your beads look good! Your round beads look round and the donuts look like donuts! I'm still ppp on the round beads. I hate when the footprint is thick at the beginning and gets thin when it meets the thick beginning? Grrrrr....seems like the bead never recovers.

Madrone
09-27-2004, 12:39 AM
Your beads are fun, and you are on your way to becoming a really great bead maker. My first beads are very very ugly.. Have fun

MegannsMom
09-27-2004, 01:18 AM
Looks like you have already mastered the area that I cannot seem to....just PLAYING! That is why your first beads look so good, and mine looked like crap! I have a real problem with ONLY PPP'ing.....(gee, is that a term?LOL!) I tend to concentrate so much on getting the "technique" down, that I forget to have FUN! I always care so much if my beads don't come out perfect, that I hate to experiment....gee, what if it doesn't work, and the bead is worthless? :rolleyes: You have given me some inspiration here...tomorrow, I am going to PLAY!!

Thank You!!!

~Cindy

jbriz
09-27-2004, 05:58 AM
I think you are doing quite well! Keep having fun and you'll be surprised how those little things you want to improve will get better and better!!! Love your colors....

GinaJ
09-27-2004, 07:41 AM
I think they look GREAT!!! Good work!

Schermo
09-27-2004, 09:12 AM
These beads are pitiful, of course...but THAT'S OK!! I kinda LIKE the colors, and, certainly, I need to work on the technique...
I have yet to lay a proper footing for my beads, and to get a nice pucker...!

Hey, Lauren !!! :wave:

What are you talking about??
These are GREAT!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

What a nice looking strand of beads!!
Seems to me that you listened real well in your class! :wink2:

If you'd like to come over some time and PPP alongside me, please give me a call .... I'd love to see you again, and I've set up some more torches in the studio, so we could have a "play date". I bet you're a whole lot of fun to play with! :D

Hope to hear from you soon!
Schermo (You do remember me, don't you?) :angel:

swamperfolk
09-27-2004, 09:18 AM
Lauren,

I LOVE your color combination. Way to go. Your beads look great.

StefaniBeads
09-27-2004, 09:44 AM
Wow, those are wonderful! Great beads for a beginner, and that's an understatement! :cool:

Keep at it, because from what I see here, you're a natural. ;) :)

dogsrlove
09-27-2004, 10:28 AM
Lauren,

Not to shabby for PPP beads, really! All the PPP goes by quickly when you find something you love to do- next thing you know, you are making the "perfect" beads you've been striving for. Unfortunately, that means you move on to PPP-ing still ANOTHER technique, then ANOTHER. . . It's a sickness. . . :evil:

Vanessa

sadiesjewels
09-27-2004, 12:09 PM
I love those beads!

You have a real "look" going there and for me that is the main thing (maybe that's why my beads are still majorly wonky on the whole - lol) - practice comes through play I think ... After all, I couldn't bear to sit at the torch for hours if it wasn't fun!

sadie

dawnann
09-27-2004, 04:49 PM
Your Beads are MARVELOUS! I like the different style to them.. Keep up the GREAT work! Dawn

moondanse
09-27-2004, 07:26 PM
WOW! You guys are so encouraging and kind..thank you!!!

I have to tell you that I love hearing the encouragement, makes me want to torch right now!!-- but what REALLY made me happy was to be an *inspiration* for another to "play" at the torch. Cindy (MegannsMom) --I hope you are playing now! :D

Thanks, again, all you great people!!!!

PS - Schermo, I will definitely be in touch--perhaps for a "refresher" class after I get a few basics down pat...AM I LUCKY OR WHAT to have been your student?!?! :clap: :clap: :clap:

KD-W
09-27-2004, 08:07 PM
Hey moondanse, those beads are really pretty and I love your colors. I would like to note however that you need to watch out for "undercuts" with your dots and the stringer around the bead at the top left. I think it is important for those of us who have been making beads for a long time to be able to make constructive comments. If you put the dots onto the bead, and the stringer too, do make sure that the dots are attached half way through their circumference ... otherwise they can be knocked off when they are in jewelry... and the stringer can also break away unless it is melted in a bit more. Lots of luck...you are doing fine!

quill
09-27-2004, 08:55 PM
Kate brings up some great points.

We do all want to encourage new beadmakers but sometimes we let things slide by & a little free advise from the experts is worth its weight in gold.

Vaverska
09-27-2004, 09:58 PM
Nice start Lauren! The constructive Comments were very helpful ( I'm self taught/teaching?...I learned about proper attachment the HARD way!). I am glad someone with experience offered some concrete tips to a newbie! Don't worry about "only 20 hours". 20 will become 40...which will become 60... and so on. Your torch time will be like the years raising a child, one day soon you will be looking back at how fast it went! I only have 3-6 hours a WEEK generally to play, play, play! But I still learn new things and see improvement with each bead! Keep on Playin!

moondanse
09-28-2004, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the additional comments!! I LOVE free advice from experts! :D

And, by the way, 2 of those little black dots have ALREADY popped off..I going to watch that next time!

I don't mean to bump up this thread , but I just wanted to thank all for the tips and advice!!!