PDA

View Full Version : thought you might enjoy this

Ruth
09-26-2004, 09:15 AM
I have all kinds of problems to solve when painting murals, such as what to do with a wall that has a water fountain in the middle of it...

Lady Carol
09-26-2004, 09:16 AM
What a clever idea!!!!

JamieWG
09-26-2004, 02:28 PM
Totally brilliant, Ruth. But I have to say that I'm surprised you didn't turn it into a nightime scene! LOL...

Jamie

habondia
09-26-2004, 02:49 PM
Wow!! How amazing!

Wait--are you really painting in acrylics?? Are all your murals in acrylic? (I just looked at your website and was blown away :clap: ) wow!!

You just made my night.

Ruth
09-26-2004, 06:08 PM
Thanks Carol, Jamie, and Habondia! :D

Yes, Habondia, all my murals are acrylic. And thank you, you just made MY night! :D

Ruth

lensman
09-27-2004, 12:07 PM
Ha, that's too funny. Nice work, too.

You use acrylics, but in what size? Surely you don't use the small tubes that one would use for a regular painting?

Glenn

blumoon
09-27-2004, 12:38 PM
Very inventive. I too would be interested in which acrylics you use for murals. :D

Charlie's Mum
09-27-2004, 05:52 PM
Brilliant!
........and before you answer the others' questions, you MUST, surely, buy those huge tubs! :D

billiam
09-27-2004, 06:08 PM
great idea, your artwork is superb. bill

Ruth
09-27-2004, 07:14 PM
Thanks for all the comments! I do use acrylics in the tubes, not tubs. I also use house paint, though. If there's a big area that needs to be a certain color, like a sky, I get that color mixed in latex paint and roll it on. I use a technique called scumbling with my acrylics, which uses very little paint and gives a very nice effect. Check out some of my mural threads in the Decorative Arts forum, I've put some WIPs and closeups on there if you're interested.

Ruth

HRH Goldie
09-27-2004, 09:16 PM
That's a great idea and great painting - so there was me reading through the thread at an unearthly time of the night/morning and planning on getting my head down. When I saw a reply saying they looked at your website and was blown away. Nosey me had to look didn't I? :rolleyes:
First question after spending ions of time looking around and around and around then going back and looking around and around and around is - How old are You?????????????? You must be easy over a hundred to have painted all of these by yourself in that detail and to that scale - I am gobsmacked! Which believe you me is very hard lol. I kept saying to myself oh I'll tell her this one is my favourite, then loaded another page and saw another and then one even better. I shan't go on but for goodness sake no one let this woman into the Sistine Chapel she might get the urge to re-do it in a weekend :D

Seriously I'm in awe of your work and your website is a brilliant testimony to it. I didn't think I would be so interested in your plein air but had to look and study every single one. There are some absolutely fantastic ones there and would love to know how long you took to paint them, surely they must have been over at least a couple of days, and in oils too! Boy you must never sleep :clap: Some of these paintings have such a remarkable aura about them I truly was moved. Thank you for sharing the link and the post. :wave:

Christine

Ruth
09-28-2004, 08:27 AM
Wow, Christine, thank you! I'm going to print out your comment, frame it and hang it on my wall :D

I have just turned 58,always wanted to be an artist; only started painting murals about 11-12 years ago, after spending 10 years doing medical transcription and hardly painting at all. I do work fast, but there's really not a lot of detail. I just sort of scumble/scribble the paint on, and it makes it look like a lot of stuff going on when it really isn't.

You made my day, thanks, I needed that!
Ruth

ExpressiveAngie
09-28-2004, 08:33 AM
Ruth - you are one talented lady - thanks for sharing with us!
:clap: :clap: