PDA

View Full Version : Covering up mistakes?

habondia
09-26-2004, 05:18 AM
Hello all,

I am just beginning to learn to use acrylics, and have a question about "covering up" mistakes.

I am working on stretched canvas and painting thinly, that is, using only water as a medium for the moment. I have read that if you make a mistake with acrylics, you just paint it over in white, wait for it to dry, and then repaint. However--because the paint is so thin it isn't working well at all. The only way to cover up the white is to paint a bit thicker than I have been elsewhere; so it stands out from the rest of the painting.

Have I misunderstood what to do? Is the "paint white over it" method only for thicker paintings, using acrylic medium? With thin, rather watered down paints, what would you recommend for mistakes?--or is it more like watercolour, in that mistakes are not recommended in the first place? :confused:

Any advice much appreciated!

Charlie's Mum
09-26-2004, 06:18 AM
HI habondia :wave:
I'd think that using a w/colour technique means similar 'rules'........and as you can't lift out (whereas obviously that's easier with w/c!) then you have to find another way because mistakes do happen!!!!!
You'll just have to try thickening the white suffiently to cover and try to keep it smooth............you could try gently sanding, with great care .....for yourself as well as the canvas! :D
Maybe someone else will come up with other ideas........presumably, you cannot/don't wish to simply use a darker colour?

romell
09-26-2004, 07:59 AM
Habondia,

Acrylic paint can be removed by alcohol (i used isoprophyl 70% solution). Use cotton bud to apply alcohol and rub it carefully over the painted area you want to remove. Hope this helps.

habondia
09-26-2004, 01:30 PM
Thanks, great tips!

Bertoni
09-26-2004, 03:09 PM
habondia;
Romell's alcohol method works really well. I use it all the time and it solves the problem!! I had gotten a spot of white acrylic on a favorite shirt and the alcohol even did the trick there! :)

JamieWG
09-26-2004, 03:14 PM
That's a fantastic tip. Thanks!

Jamie

Charlie's Mum
09-26-2004, 03:26 PM
Good to know about the alcohol romell - now , where's that vodka, my gin is nearly empty!!!!!! :D :wink2: