PDA

View Full Version : Show and Tell SUN. Sept 26

sassybird
09-26-2004, 03:43 AM
I'm going to be gone 4 or 5 days, so I wanted to get this posted. This is a focal that I made from beads sent to me from several of you folks. I call it Abstract Banana Monkey. I have a friend that loves Monkeys and I have a design in mind for a necklace. Just waiting to buy some spacer and accent beads. She likes big jewelry, and this focal is about 3.5x3" This is my first time of putting anything together like this so be gentle with me:)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Sep-2004/1355-Monkey.jpg

SuzyQ
09-26-2004, 08:59 AM
That is one cool looking monkey, not bad at all!

O.K. as promised here are my bead babies fresh off the mandrels. But first I have to tell you it was a terrific class. Sandy Seamen taught and she was just right for me. She gave a little demo and then let us have at it. I got to make tons of mistakes, and it couldn't have been better.
Now for the beadies....I had to tell my husband that it really was my turn because he kept bending the mandrels! There are 3 beads never coming off because of the bends. It's o.k. they were my raised bead attempts that are better left unseen.
The one on the mandrel is my very first bead. I can keep it for me forever because it won't come off! I guess I burned off a little too much before laying down the glass. As you can see I had a little trouble with stringers (the coral and blue thing), we got to play with pixie dust and some of mine stuck more than others, my raking attempt was a bit overdone and I have to say my melted in dots wasn't half bad. I think I am going to love having all day to play...... except for my darn chores, and that little business of mine.....

Thanks for indulging me my friends :)

BBsBaubles
09-26-2004, 09:10 AM
Charissa, Sassy Banana Monkey is so much fun! I know a few others that would really like it too. Don't forget to S&T the necklace when you're done!

Suzy, Great job on your first lampwork beads! :clap: :clap: :clap:
The fact that you had fun in class really shows through. Can't wait to see how you progress with your new obsession.

From me today a simple pearl and sterling silver bracelet.

flynfire
09-26-2004, 11:51 AM
Sassy, I'm likin' your monkey! Is he glass or ceramic?
SuzyQ, you go girl! It can only get better!
BBs, I really love the new colors in pearls. The lavender is great.
Here's a chrysacolla glider pendant. There was a cloud pattern in this stone that I hope you can see in the picture.

beclectic
09-26-2004, 11:58 AM
Charissa, I love Abstract Banana Monkey. He made me smile because he is so exuberant. I like the way you did the copper wire arms. My son Mark walked in when I was looking at your focal and he said "That's really cool!".

SuzyQ, I like your beads. As Beth B said you can really tell you had fun. I must compliment you on the fact that your cylinder beads are indeed cylinders. My first cylinders were just slightly cylindrical spheres. There is noting wrong with raked beads being raked all the way around the bead, it just depends on what you were trying to achieve. Someday I'll have to post my first beads. BTW, if the mandrelas are beant and you can't get the beads off you can always cut the mandrel off close to the bead at one end and then pull the mandrel out.

Beth B., I think your bracelete is very delicate looking and I like the color and shape of those pearls.

Edited to add: Hi Flyfire, you posted while I was taking forever to get my picture ready. I like this pendent shape and I think I see the cloud pattern but it is very faint.

I finished the Chrysanthemum Cane beads. I already have jewelryl planned for the 2 small hearts, not shown in this picture. I'll show y'all the earrings when they are finished. I'm keeping the biggest heart for me but I'm not sure if I'm going to wear it on a chain or do something else with it. I'm thinking my next set are going to be cabs so I can make one of those seed bead set cab bracelets like Juls makes and a necklace to go with it.

Andee
09-26-2004, 12:28 PM
Charissa - looks fun already, can't wait to see the finished piece!

Suzy - wow, not bad for firsties!

Beth - lovely feminine bracelet, I love it!

Flynfire - great pendant, it really looks like the glider is up in the sky!

Barbara - they just keep getting better! For some reason I like most the top bead, dunno why! I'm looking forward to seeing finished pieces!

Nothing from me today, I didn't even go near my work bench all day long...

toozygoot
09-26-2004, 01:08 PM
Charissa - what a fun piece! Can't wait to see what you add to it!

Suzy - very nice job on your firsties! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Beth - I love those pearls and that you kept your design simple and elegant!

Flynfire - that pendant is just so neat! It came together wonderfully!

Barbara - beautiful beads! Romantic and modern at the same time to my eye. Love them!

Great S & T today!

pat

beclectic
09-26-2004, 05:20 PM
Andee - I like those cylinders too and they are very easy to make which is another plus. I don't have any plans for the cylinders right now, I'm waiting to be inspired.

Pat - Romantic and modern - sounds good, thanks. These are way more pastel than I usually work so it has been a departure for me.

Here are the earrings I made with the small pair of hearts. Let me know what you think. I like the red with the pink but do y'all think it is too much?

carebear
09-26-2004, 05:24 PM
afternoon all...

today is rip and redo day here....taking apart a few bracelets that don't lay right, redid a necklace for my sister (it was once a bracelet she broke, then it turned into a necklace she broke..so here is the third try)..and will be taking apart a bunch of red/purple jewelry.....seems the city council overbooked the ladies in red hats, leaving them no time to go out on the town.....and to top it off..the boss at the restaurant forgot to put any coupons or advertising in their welcome folders...sigh..i managed to sell 3 bracelets..one to a friend who happens to be a red hat, and 2 to members of the staff

here's the necklace/bracelet redo..

carrie

Oskadis
09-27-2004, 07:21 AM
Barbara, great beads! I like your earrings :) The red may be a bit hefty, but I like the contrast.

Carry *comfort* it just sucks when organization fails. Your necklace is lovely.

Great jewelry all! Monkey is a bit big for me, but fun item :) And that cloudy pendant is just cute. Love the airplain on top of the cloudy stone.

Have a great day!