PDA

View Full Version : Low Tide Reflections

Marty C
09-26-2004, 03:10 AM
Hi All,
Sunset at low tide, a nice reflecting cloud formation in the pools caught my attention so I tried to capture it in paint. Gallery wrap canvas, 450mm by 750mm or 18ins by 30ins. C&C always welcome.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Sep-2004/16809-Low_Tide_Reflections1.jpg

mooz49
09-26-2004, 07:12 AM
I love that tide coming ........ I can nearly see it moving! :clap: :clap:

Faded
09-26-2004, 07:28 AM
Marty, the reflective quality of the water in the foreground is amazing. Great job.
-Faded

Johnnie
09-26-2004, 07:56 AM
Hi Marty

Really like this painting. Very live looking.
I am going to start in acrylic paints to give them a try.

What type of style did you use here for painting this..

By style I mean watercolor washes, or similar to Oil painting what method are you using..

Very nice indeed..Looks like I could touch it and get my finger wet..

Johnnie

ExpressiveAngie
09-26-2004, 08:43 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Lady Carol
09-26-2004, 09:23 AM
Really good Marty. How did you get it to look that reflective?

Marty C
09-26-2004, 10:20 AM
Hi Mooz, Faded, Johnnie, Angie and Carol,
Thanks heaps for you comments, really appreciate hearing from you all.

In answer to your questions, I used a combination of techniques on this.

When doing washes I prefer a 2 inch wide long bristle flat, it holds pigment and water well.

For the sky, a series of washes starting with a light tint pthalo blue (you would never pick that now) in the upper area grading down to an orange mix I had left over from a previous painting (cad yellow med, cad red med, yellow oxide) which I grayed down a little. Blended over the pthalo blue wet in wet, did several layers in this way and ended up with a satisfactory sky.

Ocean is several layers of very light tinted gray (gray is a mix of UM blue, burnt umber, titanium white). Waves are darker gray, applied oil like in one application.

Calm water is again the light gray, shifted slightly to blue, several layers. Foreground water is UM blue shaded down with gray. Around six or so layers, the first three allowed to dry, then the others applied quickly, adding titanium white up the canvas to the mix to blend(mixing on the canvas). All done wet in wet. No mediums, just water.

Rocks done impasto, oil like, burnt umber, Paynes grey, carbon black and the lighter gray, with some green in places(UM blue/cad yellow med mix).

Clouds are the sky orange with some titanium white, sponged on.

Thanks again :wave:

katz
09-26-2004, 11:03 AM
HI Marty,
I love the reflections on the sand. I can almost hear the tide coming in. This painting must look wonderful in that large a size.
Congratulations!
Gay

:clap: :clap:

JamieWG
09-26-2004, 01:39 PM
Marty, I like what you've done with the vertical format and composition. You hardly ever see these (close to) 2:1 ratio canvases used vertically in landscapes; I've only seen a few. Very nice!

Jamie

Georgi
09-26-2004, 06:50 PM
This is wonderful, Marty...as usual...you really do have a flare! Well done! :clap: :clap:

Thanks for sharing this with us and for sharing your most helpful information.

Lee :)

Dallen
09-26-2004, 08:49 PM
Marty,
I grew up next to the beach and watched the tides for many years. You have really captured the feeling and magical quality of low tide, and the waves are terrific. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Dallen

Anita Orsini
09-26-2004, 11:48 PM
So beautiful! You inspire me!
Anita :)

chandlerjr
09-27-2004, 12:11 AM
Marty,
You caught the rush of the tide very realisticly! Superbl painting. How about blessing us with a WIP--your description of how you created this painting was very interesting.
Larry C.

Eileenjm
09-27-2004, 02:54 AM
Marty this is lovely you have certainly captured those reflections. :clap:

Eileen

Marty C
09-27-2004, 03:50 AM
Hi Gay, Jamie, Lee, Dallen, Anita, Larry and Eileen,
Heartfelt thanks for your comments, I'm grateful you took the time and effort to look and reply.
Larry - I have done a few WIPS over in the Marine Art forum, the last was Jolly Frog Jetty (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=216657) . My next WIP I'll do here, although I am awaiting delivery of a whole stack of oils which I am about to explore. Back to square one with oils, I've never used them before so I have lots of learning to do.

JamieWG
09-27-2004, 06:05 AM
.......... I am awaiting delivery of a whole stack of oils which I am about to explore. Back to square one with oils, I've never used them before so I have lots of learning to do.

Oh, Marty, I can't wait to see what you do with oils! :D

Jamie

HRH Goldie
09-27-2004, 06:11 AM
Thaks Marty for taking the time to detail your palette and colour ratios. It's always really interesting to see the ingredients that make up the final dish!
Excellent work as always and I hope I can find your oils when you start them somewhere on here.
I have no doubt that you will take to them like a proverbial duck to water.
Only trouble is - acrylics may lose you if you find another love :crying: :wave:

Christine

Marty C
09-27-2004, 08:39 PM
Oh, Marty, I can't wait to see what you do with oils! :D

Jamie
It's more like what the oils are going to do to me! :D

Hi Christine - I won't ignore all the wonderful folks here, I still have lots of acrylic paint cluttering up the studio.