PDA

View Full Version : Sunday, 9/26/04 Show and Squeal

starlightdesigns
09-26-2004, 12:27 AM
Hey all,

I know it's still early. Not quite Sunday HERE yet, but OH SO CLOSE!!! ;) I guess it's OK since it's already past midnight on the east coast...

I just couldn't WAIT another second to show these... I just got some green aventurine for the first time and made my own stringer with it and from there went hog wild. I LOVE the sparkly effect of this stuff and I already called and ordered a 1/2 lb. of the gold stuff. The only question remains is what to do with all that crappy commercial stuff I already have...

Anyway, I am curious to know if anyone else has thought of doing these fluted edges on lentils before. Please let me know if you have or if anyone else has, I don't want to make claim to an idea that didn't originate with me. If I'm the first, I might very well make this style a "signature" style as I really don't have any! LOL! If you like 'em, and want to use the idea, feel free. I wouldn't hold that against anyone. Lord knows I've "borrowed" so many ideas of yours! :wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Sep-2004/37248-dls193.jpg

Have a great Sunday everyone!!!!

Hugs,

Briatha
09-26-2004, 12:34 AM
Debby stunning lentil set!
I've seen ruffled edges on lentils before but I really can't remember who made them and I even did a few way back when I first got my press and didn't know what to do with all that leftover glass around the edges. :o I don't think I ever made a complete set...just a few focals.

starlightdesigns
09-26-2004, 12:41 AM
Okay, Briatha, can't say as I'm surprised that I wasn't the first to think of it! It is a rather simple, yet great, idea. I guess I can just say, then, that "great minds think alike!"

Thanks for the compliment, too, I appreciate that! :D

Hugs,

Moth
09-26-2004, 12:46 AM
Woohoo...I am actually still up and won't be at the tail end of the show and tell!

Great job on the green aventurine. Isn't is it fun to make your own? So much sparklier than commercial. And yes...sparklier is TOO a word. :wink2:

Here's mine:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Sep-2004/24464-redirisstripersideo.jpg

and

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Sep-2004/24464-turningleaf1o.jpg

Have been in a fallish type mood lately. It's my favorite season and I am OH SO glad it's here!

~~Mary

Juls
09-26-2004, 12:52 AM
Debbie, that is a GORGEOUS set of beads! :clap:

Mary, sparklier is a word? I thought it was schhhparklier. :D Love your fall color focals!

Great kick off to Sunday's S&T, yall!

hugs~
~Juls

Briatha
09-26-2004, 12:54 AM
Debby I don't know why you couldn't still use them as your signature bead. :D It's been ages since I saw a ruffled lentil.

gmdcrafts
09-26-2004, 01:00 AM
Pretty sparklies!!! Debby, isn't that adventurine awsome!!??? So much more glittery than the other premade stuff. You're gonna LOVE the gold, I promise!

And yes Mary, "sparklier" is most definitely a word!! Very nice fall colors you have in the florals and leaf!

Here's my contribution for today...

Lisa Crispin
09-26-2004, 01:05 AM
Well sunday has just about come to an end down here in Oz, but I did have a productive day! Cleaned out my toybox, as promised. First pic is stage one, all the orphans with "family", on a head pin. Second stage, families get a fancy tail with a lobster claw. Stage three - finished scissor tags! Got an embroidery exhibition coming up in a few weeks and plan to cash in on the clientele that attend! Target marketing! Honestly, I could sell oil to the Arabs.

Got a confession - I actually do! I sell aromatherapy oils and one of my customers is an Arab! :p

Keep 'em comin' - still got a few hours before bed to drool over everyone else's goodies!

Lisa C

Juls
09-26-2004, 01:07 AM
I just got some green aventurine for the first time and made my own stringer with it and from there went hog wild. I LOVE the sparkly effect of this stuff and I already called and ordered a 1/2 lb. of the gold stuff.

Debby, I showed these in late in the Sat S&T...but I thought I'd show you what the gold aventurine is like in comparison to the other stuff. VERY rich color that doesn't diminish even when melted in to the surface...but sparkly and solid as a raised embellishment too! You will LOVE it!

**Gina, you snuck in on me...and I am drooling all over my keyboard. Those florals are GORGEOUS!!!

hugs~
~Juls

Lisa Crispin
09-26-2004, 01:09 AM
oops, don;t know what happened there. One minute the pics were there, then they were gone! Musta been the piccy pixies! so lets' try again, shall we?

Lisa C

koregon
09-26-2004, 01:19 AM
Gina...Thud!
wow...those are gorgeous...you know...something about your work...I always look so forward to seeing it...and wanting to reach right into the screen and pick it up...just beautiful

well tonight I have been dinking with some darn lights I bought...tensor natural light lights...not sure about them...but with winter coming, I want the option of taking photo's inside...I have a feeling we are in for a dreary gloomy winter...and that makes taking photo's my normal way hard.

So here is a raku set...a different core/different stringer color....more ancient but colorful in a way.

gmdcrafts
09-26-2004, 01:20 AM
oops, don;t know what happened there. One minute the pics were there, then they were gone! Musta been the piccy pixies! so lets' try again, shall we?

Lisa C

...darn piccy pixies...... :p
Beautiful work! :clap:

starlightdesigns
09-26-2004, 01:21 AM
Debby, I showed these in late in the Sat S&T...but I thought I'd show you what the gold aventurine is like in comparison to the other stuff. VERY rich color that doesn't diminish even when melted in to the surface...but sparkly and solid as a raised embellishment too! You will LOVE it!

**Gina, you snuck in on me...and I am drooling all over my keyboard. Those florals are GORGEOUS!!!

hugs~
~Juls

Juls, that set is simply drop dead gorgeous! Wow!!! Yes, I do have much to look forward to with the gold, but even if my beads are only as half as gorgeous as yours I'll be thrilled!

Hugs,

gmdcrafts
09-26-2004, 01:28 AM
Gina...Thud!
wow...those are gorgeous...you know...something about your work...I always look so forward to seeing it...and wanting to reach right into the screen and pick it up...just beautiful

Hi Kaye! Thanks so much! That really means alot to me, especially coming from you! Hmmm.....I'm always droolin over YOURS!!! That red set with the blue/ink flowers you have up on ebay right now I'm soooooo luvin'!!!

Juls
09-26-2004, 01:29 AM
Debby, what a nice compliment..thank you!

I bought czech glass beads from you a couple of years ago on Ebay..way before I began lampworking. I have followed and watched your progress on your journey...

So in response I only have one thing to say...

:clap: :clap: :clap: YOUR BEADS ARE GORGEOUS!!!

fay
09-26-2004, 02:19 AM
Yummy eye candy!!

Here are more Witches...sorry...still on their mandrels...dh still has them to clean...I think he waits for a few days so I forget what I made and he can take a few beads for his collection...lol. :D

redfoot
09-26-2004, 08:28 AM
Just got off work and had to check out the wet canvas
All the beads you post are so nice .One of these days I'll get the camera figured out and have some pictures.
The green and gold really sparkles nice, also I aquired a chunk of blue and they came out real nice.
Use to do pottery and did some raku firings. so made up some of my old glazes and going to try them out with the glass. Will let you all know what happens, Tom :wave:

manda j
09-26-2004, 09:25 AM
Kaye- Those are amazing beads! Great weather here in Wells today! Probably going for a bike ride after I post.
Fay- Those witchies are great. So real looking.
To everyone at the meeting at Caravan in Portland yesterday- So much fun and I love the beads I traded. Thanks tons!
Zoozii- Can't wait to use those presses today! My husband thought they were great too.

The little bag is a non-original peyote bag- says Happy Halloween on the back.
I'm working on an original design for Thanksgiving and the vegggie beads to go with it.

Sally Noyes
09-26-2004, 09:56 AM
Hi All, :wave:
I am newby to WC and still learning how to get around but really happy to be here. I love all of the beads on show (if only I were rich). Saw today's s&t start and thought "why not" ? So here they are, my latest efforts in beadmaking. (photos are not that brilliant - still working on that)

Sally

GinaJ
09-26-2004, 10:11 AM
Hi Sally, welcome to WC!!!! Your beads are great.....in fact, everybody's are great!!!!
Mary, is that a transparent red you used on your flowers? I've been making mine with an opaque red, and I'm just not happy with them.

travelin'gal
09-26-2004, 11:19 AM
HI Ya'll!

I love the fluted lentils! I have seen em somewhere too, but not very often. Good work!

Gina, your beads are beautiful!

Kaye, I Love your raku beads. So earthy!

Okay, I know I forgot everyone elses name, but great work everyone. I am always toward the end of the show. These are my most recent. One is a base of lavender, rolled in #2 raku. The other is a base of clear lavender, with opaque lavender dots, rolled in fuschia frit. It was a frit day! :D
Deanna

TwistNglass
09-26-2004, 12:04 PM
Beautiful beads today! Here is a set I finished yesterday. A pleasant surprise with these was the greenish yellow flowers. I used Lt. Iris Blue frit and never expected this color. That's always fun :D

Rose

CharleneN
09-26-2004, 12:43 PM
Hi Debbie your beads are great! I made a ruffled edged lentil aouple of weeks ago and sold it to the third person who saw it! I ruffled the edge on mine cause I was unhappy with the orginal edge. I can see myself making them but not tons of them.

To everybody else...more gorgeous beads....as usual!!

aimee
09-26-2004, 01:08 PM
Great Sunday everyone. I'm so jealous of everyone's scroll work and stringer control. I so suck at it, I know, PPP. Here's a little set I finally got cleaned from the other night. I was watching a little of the bachelor the other night and one of the girls had a swimsuit this color. They are light sky blue and brown.

emmytr1
09-26-2004, 01:39 PM
Show and tell is always a treat and an inspiration to get moving ,and get on the torch. Here are a couple of mine. I just visited a friend who is a lampwork teacher to exchange some frit and leaf for glass and showed her my beads and said to her jokingly " do you see a pattern here, I'm in a rut" lol and she answered by saying that she thought is was great that I have a signature style and that she always tells her students that they should develop a stlye of their own. It made me feel good because I always think I should expand my hurizons instead of making what makes me happy. Good Sunday to all, and I'm saying a prayer for all in the southeast.

Mary Lou

jennakate
09-26-2004, 01:47 PM
ok, i'll bite. i am a newbie at lampworking... my forte is generally in jewellery, and since i just posted a bunch of stuff over there, i might as well post my little amature vessel over here as well..... because i finally got my digital camera! wooohoo!

Oh, nice stuff so far, btw!

Moth
09-26-2004, 01:56 PM
Yep, effetre striking red transparent. I LOVE it!

~~Mary

Laurie L
09-26-2004, 01:58 PM
Mary Lou your beads are awsome. How did you do the first pic set.
B-E-A-utiful !! :)

emmytr1
09-26-2004, 03:00 PM
Wow thanks,
Blue and green frit over silver leaf incased, at least I think. I need to write down what beads I've used what glass with. They kinda look like boro, that's what I should call them "faux boro" lol. Thanks for asking.
Mlou

NLC
09-26-2004, 06:08 PM
A couple that jumped at me:
Mary-Moth - I was gazing at your florals on eBay - they're beautiful.
Lacy Lentils are very lovely by everyone posting them.
Those blue/green sets are drool-inducing.

Everyone's work is so pretty... Time for me to ruin that trend. :evil:
One eyed one horned flying purple sheeple eater - who says I only make sheep!??!
Nikki

tigerlil
09-26-2004, 06:41 PM
Oh Nikki, he's so cute!! He must be the evil devitrifying purple devil :clap: very cool

Mary Lou--I'm not familiar with your beads, but if these are any indication--then Yahoo! to you. They are GORGEOUS! I love them. Like petrified water and silver tide pools....they DO look boro-ish, too

Deanna, fun to see your pretty stuff--I like both sets ALOT--very nice colors on the first set...but then I like earthy (triple taurus here) Still want to try and make a visit one of these weekends--glad to hear your car is running again!

Sally- Welcome! If you're a newbie, I'm in trouble...can't tell you how long I've tried to get a floral that looked as good as your blue one! Good job :clap:

Kaye (Koregon) I really want to pick this set up--very, very cool and they look so inviting and mystical, too. I really like :D I've just got my first raku frit--what color base for the stringer do you recommend?

Mary, I like that striking red, too--it has a great quality. very nice beadies~!

Rose - wow those are very lovely beads. very nice work! they look like ancient chinese porcelain paintings :clap:

Oh and Debbie, I like those lacey lentils--good lookin' with the green aventurine :clap:

yeah to everyone else, too...i've gotta run now~oh,but I better upload something, too. My first use of copper blue frit:

Moonlight Creations
09-26-2004, 10:49 PM
Nikki...

Should you need an adoptive family for your one eyed one horned flying purple sheeple eater, we would be honored! We don't have any sheeple in the neighborhood but we do have moose, deer, and wild turkeys! It reminds me of the characters from Aah Monsters! from a few years ago on Nickoledeon. Keep up the great work!

~ Sonje :wave: