PDA

View Full Version : Where to from here?

AtrediesNT
09-26-2004, 12:04 AM
I am soooo new to this Acrylic painting stuff,it's all so confounding.
i am having trouble getting the ideas from my head..(and there are HEAPS),onto the canvas.
So for playing around and learning purposes,i have bought a smll a4 book of preprimed canvas sheets.Very good invention BTW.

I first did a painting of some Frangipani,but they just ended up looking like Pink Airplane Propellors.. :(
I have realised that i am not a reincarnated Great artist,i am a here and now artist. :D .
So anyway,i have decided to KISS.(Keep it simple stupid),and instead of trying to understand techniques and recreate the perfect pic that i see in my head,i am going to quote an Ad slogan (i hope i don't get sued..),"Just Do It".

After having said all that..i ahve hit a mental block.
I just don't know where to go now.
I am very good at playing with and laying down colour when it comes to Pencil art,but when it comes to the paints,it's where I come undone.
It's so much easier when you just pick up the correct colour/tone and just lay it on what your doing.A bit of a finger rub here,and a bit of presuure there,and WULLA...a masterpeice.
So any way... i tend to blabber on a bit.

but i would like a bit of advice on where to go from here.Which Direction etc.

I have attached my referance pick....the girl on the far right in the pink Bikini is my Sis in law,the hunk oin the middle is her hubby.
There are also two photos as i have no scanner,one with the flash,one without.This is just a bit of laying down of colour,the Hill's are a pale pale almost white green.The forground a pale pale almost white blue/grey.
although the camera dopesn't pic it up.
I hope i done this attacment thing right,sorry for rambling,but i am like this in real life too...Ha hahaha!

Lady Carol
09-26-2004, 09:21 AM
Great start.
Well you need to draw in your people.
If this was mine I would work from the distance forward. So finish the hills and sea. The move to the people and finally for foreground. Once it is almost finalized, check colour balance and altere composition if necessary.

Hope this helps

Vicki_Oz
09-26-2004, 10:35 PM
Hi

Ok so you've got your base in....if it were mine I'd lighten the sky a little (which will help when you put your darker land in)...then paint the land formations at the back but first check out the shape of them ...especially the right one...its a little domed...I'd also lighten the water ....the original pic a dark area way back near the horizon line...gradually lighten till you reach the sand area ...this will allow you to place little hits of dark and light to show the movement in the water....

The shape of the sand area in front needs to be looked at in my opinion....it should dip slightly on the left .......as it is ..it kind of falls off. Then of course, you need to pop your people in.... I won't go further till we maybe get an update :)

Kind regards
Vicki

AtrediesNT
09-27-2004, 03:35 AM
Thanks for your input ;) .
I really am starting to think about the people in the Pic.
:confused: My confidence is a little shaky as this is the second ever paintng i have done ,so i thought of either leaving them out completely,or maybe doing them in half in paint,half in pencil.
i am better at the pencil..i dunno.

I was also thinking of bringng the foreground lower...not so sloped..if you know what i mean...
And i know i might be jumping ahead of my self...but how would i do the pebbles on the foreground?
I was going to get myself and my kids to make them out of our fingerprints :p ,i know the kids would have great fun doin that!
i don't really want it to be a "PERFECT" replica,but i want it to be recognisable as the photo as i am thinking of giving it to the rellies mentioned as a christmas present....

Marty C
09-27-2004, 04:39 AM
Hi AtrediesNT,
Welcome to Wet Canvas and to the Acrylics forum. It's so great to have another Aussie on board!
I don't want to put you off, but for only your second painting you are taking on all the really hard subjects, people and water! I'm basically a coward so I don't do people at all, way too hard. Worse if they are people you know who will also be seeing the finished piece. As I said, I don't want to discourage you, but at an early stage in your painting it's best to stick with relatively simple subjects, the better to learn techniques, mixing, composition etc. Simple early leads to success early which boosts confidence and leads you to harder, more complex work. From experience, I've seen people go too hard too early, become dispirited and give up. Very sad.
OK, now that I have been a horrible downer to you, lets see what you can do with this work.
Water I can do, so I'll give you what I can on that.
Let's start with the composition. There is a big foreground with not much going on apart from pebbles. Not very interesting, so cut the pebbles down heaps.
Now the people are spread out in a line. They are to be the focal area, but with a big background and the hills the way they are with two down pointing diagonals to the sea the sea is taking the eye away from the people. So lets cut the background down and go to a panorama format with the emphasis on the people and just enough background to establish the scene.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Sep-2004/16809-RefPIC.jpg
So if it were me this is the pic I would work from. The people now take the honours as the focal area, they are basically framed by blue and white without being overwhelmed by either.
Now the elements. You have a light value foreground, a mixed value focal area, a mid ground with gradually changing colour although the value is pretty constant, a mid range hill, a distant nicely blued range and a light sky.
For the sky I would go for an Ultramarine blue, tinted lighter with titanium white. You may need to experiemnt a little to get the right shade.
You can also bring that sky colour down into the sea, perhaps a little darker but essentially the same. Use the UM blue again but shade it darker ( I often use a gray made of a mix of UM blue, burnt umber and titanium white). This darker blue will be your little waves, applied lightly with short, quick horizontal brush strokes.
Now use your gray and add more UM blue. Use this for the distant range. By using the same colours we are trying to get a sense of colour harmony going in the work, to tie it all together.
For the middle hills, an olive green, with a little blued gray mixed in. Watch your edges. For the distant range you want very soft indistinct edges, for the mid range a little sharper but not hard edges.
For the water as it gets shallow, a green colour appears. For areas like this I use Pthalo aqua or turquoise, but be very careful, they are very powerful and tiny amounts are needed.
For the pebbles, I would apply a neutral biege and then using a little sponge apply whites and darker value biege randomly.
I won't advise on people, I haven't a clue! :D
I hope all this helps a little. There seems so much to learn when first starting, but after a few years you will find there is still so much to learn :D I feel like I am just scratching the surface, but it's terrific fun all the way!

lensman
09-27-2004, 09:54 AM
I have to agree with Marty; painting people at this early stage of the game - and MANY people at that - may be a little too much. If you are determined to do it then by all means use coloured pencil. There is nothing 'wrong' in mixing acrylic with CP and for getting tiny details it may be just the ticket, especially if you are more used to using them. Maybe lay in the shapes with acrylic then use CP from there.

Glenn

Charlie's Mum
09-27-2004, 06:06 PM
Just follow Marty's advice!
(But you have started at the hard end of the spectrum!!!!!!!). :)

HRH Goldie
09-27-2004, 09:22 PM
You've got good advice here from people who know their stuff so my advice would be to take theirs and by the way welcome to the wonderful world of acrylics :wave:

Christine

AtrediesNT
01-11-2005, 05:42 AM
Ok...it's been a while!
Since i felt i was biting off more than i could chew,and i realised my mouth just AIN'T that big....i decided no people.....
So this is what i have done to my previous painting.
I don't even know if clouds go like that near the sea...but anyway.
Need some ideas on how to do the Beach.
the beach is made up of pebbles,pretty big ones by the look of it.
i was thinking of using my finger tips to dab the paint on (in a shdaowy colour)with lots of bigger circles,then going through and doing smaller dabs with fingers with the pebbles colour.....

what do you all think?

jeff m
01-11-2005, 04:04 PM
A sponge might be good for the pebbles.

If you do decide to put in the people:

I know you don't want it to be exact but levelling off the pebbles where the people are will make your job easier. More similar to pic.

Make sure the pebble line is broken by the arms or elbows where neccessary.
Did you consider pulling em all forward a bit so they all cross the pebble line?
Might look a bit better due to being a different shape painting to the pic