PDA

View Full Version : Stockdale... WIP

jbitzel
09-25-2004, 06:49 PM
How does it look so far?

JamieWG
09-26-2004, 01:46 PM
I think it's coming along great! I think the water is too dark though, and should be deep blues, not black. Giving life to that water will be an important aspect of getting the painting to work!

Jamie

Bertoni
09-26-2004, 03:06 PM
This is sure to be a winner!! :clap: Although I do agree with Jamie on the blackness of the water. Blue will help it immeasurably!!! :)

jbitzel
09-26-2004, 07:42 PM
it looks alot less black in real life. It is actually different shades of Phthalocyanine and Ultramarine, but I don't think I could make it very realistic if I added lighter colors. I have included an updated photo.

lensman
09-27-2004, 10:48 AM
Coming along nicely... but the roofline doesn't look correct on the right side of the building; it slopes down further than in the photo, and the shadow is missing. Also, the windows look too small to me.

Glenn

joa
09-27-2004, 11:45 AM
I think it looks good so far!

I'm wondering about the water, also, because the sky looks so light--shouldn't there be some lighter reflections? or perhaps the sky could be darker. As far as the building--looks fine to me. The roofline looks like it has an extension on that side. I'm assuming this is a mill and not a home; if so, the windows are adequate.

Think I'm going to like this painting--it has a mood to it. Waiting to see how it turns out.

Jo

Charlie's Mum
09-27-2004, 05:57 PM
So far so good James.
I tend to agree about the roof line being unbalanced - the ref suggests a more symmetrical roof.
There are quite a few lighter tones in the water and I don't think you'd spoil it by lightening the water a fair bit.
Coming along nicely, so awaiting next stage! :)

HRH Goldie
09-27-2004, 09:26 PM
I noticed that you've signed the last update does this mean you've laid this to bed and finished?
I like the foreground left where it looks like icy bits have fallen in the water off the river bank, but wouldn't like to comment on change if you've decided to finish here :D

Christine

jbitzel
09-28-2004, 07:46 AM
Yes... I think I am done with this one. :)

ExpressiveAngie
09-28-2004, 07:50 AM
Brrrrrr ;) good job.