PDA

View Full Version : Problems making canvas panels

joa
09-25-2004, 04:43 PM
I am trying to make canvas panels using Larry's instructions. I have tempered masonite, but when I glue the canvas to it, I have edges that don't glue well--have to pull up the edges and re-glue.

Don't know if the canvas is too heavy or what. I bought this canvas quite a while ago and planned to stretch it. It is very heavy tightly woven cotton canvas. But canvas panels are so much easier, or should be, so I decided to do that instead.

It would be a lot easier to just gesso on hardboard, but I like the look and feel of canvas. Anyone here make their own canvas panels? What weight of canvas do you use?

Jo :confused:

Enchanted
09-25-2004, 06:46 PM
I am trying to make canvas panels using Larry's instructions.
I had a canvas panel demo on my web site not long ago but it's now expired, sad to say.

You don't mention what you're using for glue? I use an exterior grade of PVA and I slather or trowel it on heavily, after first soaking the canvas with water. I then make sure the canvas is large enough to wrap around to the back side of the particle board. I use a #12 canvas, which I think is 8 ounces to the yard and is cotton, not linen. I've never tried gluing linen. One thing that will happen is that the particle board will dish (warp) if it's not heavy enough unless it's very small in area. For example: I have used 1/4 inch thick MDF particle board that was 18 X 24 inches and it dished on me. I was able to get it back to fairly flat by soaking the back side (after the glue had thoroughly dried) with water, then placing heavy weights on the backside with the canvas side lying against a flat surface. I didn't have this problem using 1/4 inch thick "masonite-type" boards, so I suspect the MDF has a weaker structure.

JamieWG
09-26-2004, 01:52 PM
I glue it on with Lineco bookbinding adhesive, then turn it face down and weight it down overnight. In the morning, I trim off the excess edges with a knife. (I don't roll the canvas over the edges of the masonite.)

Jamie

joa
09-26-2004, 02:41 PM
Thanks, Jaxas and Jamie!

Now I have more questions: What is PVA? and where do you get it? Is bookbinding adhesive a hot glue? and where do you get it?

Jaxas, I think one thing I need to do is soak my canvas, because it is so tightly woven. I'm sure that would help. Thanks for that tip! I am using 1/4" masonite, and I like wrapping the canvas around the board; I clip some off the corners so it's not too thick there. Oh, BTW, I am using acrylic medium for glue.

Thanks, both, again!

Jo

JamieWG
09-26-2004, 02:52 PM
Thanks, Jaxas and Jamie!

Now I have more questions: What is PVA? and where do you get it? Is bookbinding adhesive a hot glue? and where do you get it?

Jo, PVA is a white glue, like Elmers. The Lineco bookbinding adhesive is a PVA glue too:

http://www.dickblick.com/zz173/14/products.asp?param=0&ig_id=1066

Jamie

Enchanted
09-26-2004, 06:44 PM
Jo, PVA is a white glue, like Elmers.
It's often sold as "carpenter's glue" - even in the Elmer's brand. I choose to use the grade that says it's for "exterior" use because once it dries it's more resistant to humidity and more water resistant generally. If it's for exterior use it usually has something of a "yellow ochre" tint as opposed to the white glues intended for indoor uses.