PDA

View Full Version : S&T Saturday, September 25, 2004

Andee
09-25-2004, 07:02 AM
Hi everybody!

I made this necklace last night when I couldn't sleep, I finally had an idea for it (it took me only 14 months... :rolleyes: ). It sure isn't the greatest of necklaces, but it looks a lot better in reality... Shell, glass, MOP and is that what you call shell heishe?

SuzyQ
09-25-2004, 07:23 AM
Very pretty! I love those late night inspirations and this one is great.
I can think of just the right shirt to wear with it.... My husband laughs at how I match clothes to jewelry instead of the other way around. Do you do that?

beclectic
09-25-2004, 09:50 AM
I can think of just the right shirt to wear with it.... My husband laughs at how I match clothes to jewelry instead of the other way around. Do you do that?

Actually, yes. Often I decide what jewelry I want to wear and then hunt around to find a new combination to go with it.

Andee - I like that necklace very much. Yes that is shell heisi. Often we say what type of shell but not always. I especially like the way the glass beads are a little larger than the heisi and the way you put in brown heisi between the whiter heisi spaced regularly. That shell focal is lovely.

I'm hoping to have some sanded but not finished polyclay beads to post. They will show the next step in the process. I've got about 1/2 of them to the point of being ready to put the finish on.

Andee
09-25-2004, 10:26 AM

Suzy - thanks! :) Yeah, I kinda do that, too. First there's the bracelet or necklace I want to wear that day, and then I think about what will go with it clotheswise!

Andee - I like that necklace very much. Yes that is shell heisi. Often we say what type of shell but not always. I especially like the way the glass beads are a little larger than the heisi and the way you put in brown heisi between the whiter heisi spaced regularly. That shell focal is lovely.

Barbara - ta! :) But the pic has deceived you, I'm afraid. The tiny ivory and redbrown beads are small seedbeads. The large dark brown ones are the shell heishe, and the large white ones are MOP... I'm looking forward to seeing your nearly finished pc beads!!

Andee
09-25-2004, 11:31 AM
I just finished another piece with a lot more colour than you are used to from me! ;) Lampwork heart from me, Indian glass beads and etched seed beads:

BBsBaubles
09-25-2004, 12:28 PM
Andee,
That lampwork heart is great! You're late night inspiration is beautiful too.
I'm surprised nobody else has posted their goodies today, come on everyone!

Here's one from me (finally). A bracelet with garnet and Hill Tribe Silver.

tamjai
09-25-2004, 12:49 PM
andee - that heart necklace, i love, i want! how do you manage to produce these pieces when you're sick ?? I can't boil water properly when i have a cold....
beth - multi-strand garnets.....so luxe. great design that is simple but lush

nothing from me......
tam

Andee
09-25-2004, 01:50 PM
Beth - I love your bracelet, it's simple but elegant, very nice! :)

Tam - thanks! I dunno, the biggest problem in making them was having to lay the stuff down every couple of seconds for using my hankie! ;)

Jacinthe
09-25-2004, 04:04 PM
Andee - I must say the second one is my favourite. They are both nice, but that second one just pops! :clap:

Beth B - I like the way that you made the simplicity of the beads and silver work together like that. Very nicely done! :clap:

hugs from holland,
sarah

Smidgen
09-25-2004, 04:12 PM
be kind but feel free with constructive suggestions. I am newer than new at all of this. I was feeling a little edgy this afternoon and decided to create something...after cleaning up my bead storage. Now I have another mess. It was theraputic! The photos are not focused correctly but I think it is still viewable....

Smidge

beclectic
09-25-2004, 04:13 PM
I almost goofed up. I started to put the finish on and realized I hadn't made a photo of this step. One of the small barrels already has the glaze finish on it so it didn't make it into the picture.

The large heart maybe got polished too much and the dk lavender under layer is showing. This is the pearl layer. I kind of like it, y'all will have to let me know if you like this effect or not.

I sanded with 400 grit sandpaper and then polished with a hard felt tip on the Dremel. I used this tip to lower any high places and to remove any fingerprints in the clay. I thought I'd bought 800 grit paper but it turns out that the wrong paper was in the bin so I used 400 grit that was almost smooth from the earlier step. I also used a round needle file to get in the cleft in the hearts. My final step was polishing with cotton percale by hand. (Cotton percale = and old sheet). :D Can't have enough old sheets but don't use polyester it's threads are too cutting.

BBsBaubles
09-25-2004, 05:16 PM
Bravo Smidge! :clap:
I really like the second piece. There's something about the variety of colors. It could be worn to dress up an outfit or with jeans. It's so versatile! But, if you're not happy with it and need someone to take it off your hands, my address is... ;)

Smidgen
09-25-2004, 09:49 PM
hehe, thanks Beth....for some reason I only can preview one of them, I already remade one! The one with the seed beads! One of those days I guess. One nice thing about makeing jewelry...you can do and undo as often as you want and not lose a dime, except for the Flexwire and crimps! The one bracelet (that I cannot preview) is all of 7 inches! My mom's bracelet size! Hopefully she will approve of this one, since she hates toggles (I don't get that one). I used magnets for the closure on this one. I thought it would fall off but it seems pretty strong.
Anyway, my mom wanted me to redo a bracelet and do away with the toggles. I hate doing the same thing twice so this one was born.

lepoppet
09-25-2004, 11:26 PM
Hello,
This is my first post on this forum. I'm usually hanging out on the Glass Forums. But someone over there recommended I post here as well. My beads haven't been selling very well so I'm starting to make jewelry. Here's two of my first.

Maria

Juls
09-26-2004, 12:04 AM
Smidge, I think they are both funky and fun!!

I love that you aren't trapped in a box and can play with texture and color like you have. KEEP 'em coming!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

hugs~
~Juls

BBsBaubles
09-26-2004, 12:05 AM
Welcome to Wearable Arts Maria! :wave:
I've always admired your beads in the Glass Forum and your bracelets are just as beautiful. Get a load of that pumpkin bracelet!!! :clap:

Feel free to post here anytime! I am hopeful your bead sales will rebound shortly. Hang in there, you do great work!

Juls
09-26-2004, 12:19 AM
Andee,

Both of your necklaces are wonderful! I'm a fan of anything beachy so the first one really speaks to me...and the colors in the second are simply awesome! Great lampworked heart!

Beth, Lovely bracelet! I so admire people who can actually bring themselves to USE their Hill tribe silver... :o ...so far I can only sit and stare at mine oohing and aahing! :D

Barbara, your beads are wonderful. Seeing them the other night inspired me to try something new on the torch....but after a few attempts I have not been able to achieve it yet! Thank God for clay artists that can achieve such layered beauty!

hugs~
~Juls

Andee
09-26-2004, 04:24 AM
Smidge - yummy bracelets, I especially like the 2nd one!

Barbara - the beads look better and better! And I can't see anything wrong with the large heart, I like it!

Maria - wow, those look edible! Lovely work, especially the pumpkin bracelet!

Sarah and Juls - thanks! :)

Sally Noyes
09-26-2004, 09:33 AM
Hi All, :wave:
I am a newby to WC although have been cruising through many of the channels for a few weeks now. I started out lampworking not so long ago ( have an obsession with florals at the moment ) anyway found your s&t and emediately started to green with envy. :envy: Not to mention my keyboard about to blow up with all the drooling. I love this site, all of the jewellery is fantastic. Anyway, here is one of my latest (please be gentle).

Sally

beclectic
09-26-2004, 11:22 AM
Hello,
This is my first post on this forum. I'm usually hanging out on the Glass Forums. But someone over there recommended I post here as well. My beads haven't been selling very well so I'm starting to make jewelry. Here's two of my first.

Maria

Welcome to Wearable Arts. Both your bracelets are great but I especially like the second on. That what harvest is all about - bounty and that is a bountiful harvest of pumpkins. I also really love pumpkins.

Hi All,
I am a newby to WC although have been cruising through many of the channels for a few weeks now. I started out lampworking not so long ago ( have an obsession with florals at the moment ) anyway found your s&t and emediately started to green with envy. Not to mention my keyboard about to blow up with all the drooling. I love this site, all of the jewellery is fantastic. Anyway, here is one of my latest (please be gentle).

Welcome Sally, Your bead is beautiful. I like the way the petals of the flowers look so thin like real flowers. I think you've desplayed your bead well with a simple yet interesting setting.

I see you posted this morning. You could have started a Show & Tell thread for today or posted in the one for the 26th if it was already started. The information about the Wear Its At and Show & Tell daily threads are in the Forum Guidlines as well as some other helpful information. We also have 2 sticky threads that stay at the top of the forum. One is Jewelry Links and the other is Fiber Arts Links, these also have tons of useful information in them.