PDA

View Full Version : question about round peyote

Patricia'sglass
09-24-2004, 11:10 PM
Hi all! I was wondering if anyone has done round peyote uneven count? Do you put something inside the bead tube like piping or something like it? Thanks
Pattym

Gingerbiscuit
09-25-2004, 01:08 PM
Hi all! I was wondering if anyone has done round peyote uneven count? Do you put something inside the bead tube like piping or something like it? Thanks
Pattym

You can bead round a tube. It makes it more substantial. I have used rattail, but you could use a variety of things depending on the look you want. You don't have to use anything. Plastic tubing can be very successful, and give you a necklace that is very circular, almost like a torque. Check the plastic tubing at a garden centre - the sort with little holes in that you can lay around the garden for automatic watering. Also, check out a furnishing store for piping etc. like you would put around a cushion (pillow?). HTH :)

Patricia'sglass
09-25-2004, 06:51 PM
Thanks, Lynn. I started one the other day around a small hollow mandrel and after several rows I decided to start over so I took it off. It squashed flat. Isit supposed to be able to do that or did I not have it tight enough? Thanks again for answering.
Pattym

Juls
09-26-2004, 12:12 AM
Patty,

Aquarium tubing works wonderfully inside tubular peyote. Advantages to the tubing are that it is clear and allows light play with the seeds (esp transparents and color lined colors YUM!)...and it helps to maintain the integrity of the stitching.

Another cool thing about it is that you can usually find a wire of some sort that will fit inside on the off chance you want a more rigid (shape-able) tube.

If you are looking for much smaller width, you can also check out the car stereo section at walmart. Connecting cords are very similar to the tubing and are also clear. It is a little bit of a pain to pull the wiring out...but is well worth the effort in the end.

hugs~
~Juls

Gingerbiscuit
09-26-2004, 10:18 AM
Thanks, Lynn. I started one the other day around a small hollow mandrel and after several rows I decided to start over so I took it off. It squashed flat. Isit supposed to be able to do that or did I not have it tight enough? Thanks again for answering.
Pattym

If I bead around a cord, I always leave it in. If I don't want a cord or tubing inside, I bead without one. I never bead around a cord as an aid to the actual beading and then remove it. It will be a lot "softer" without a cord/tube inside.

Juls, thanks for the heads up on aquarium tubing - I never thought of that! :)

Patricia'sglass
09-26-2004, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the info. If you are going to do a round peyote without anyting inside -how many beads do you do the first row with? I used 13 and it was squashy. Maybe I should use less beads to start with? I just don't see how to keep the nice round shape if you don't have anything inside :confused: Thanks
PAttym

Gingerbiscuit
09-27-2004, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the info. If you are going to do a round peyote without anyting inside -how many beads do you do the first row with? I used 13 and it was squashy. Maybe I should use less beads to start with? I just don't see how to keep the nice round shape if you don't have anything inside :confused: Thanks
PAttym

8 works well, although this means that you are working even count tubular peyote rather than odd. Personally, I prefer working even count. If you have a look at the gift I made for the CA, the side parts are tubular peyote, no cord, 8 bead start. It holds its shape well. The tube will keep its shape and be less squashy the fewer beads you start with, and the tighter your tension.

HTH :)

Patricia'sglass
09-27-2004, 11:32 AM
That's exactly what I was thinking. I will try less beads next time. Do you have alink to the gift you mentioned? Thanks
PAttym

Gingerbiscuit
09-27-2004, 11:35 AM
That's exactly what I was thinking. I will try less beads next time. Do you have alink to the gift you mentioned? Thanks
PAttym

Here it is. If you start with an even number, you will have to do a "step up." :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2004/40819-chinese1net2.jpg

Patricia'sglass
09-27-2004, 11:40 AM
OOO, OOO, Baby!!! Your piece is beautiful!!!That's what I wanted to see. The instructions I was following said to start with more beads but I think eight looks perfect so you don't have to have anyhting inside the tube. What kind of thread do you use? I was wondering if size 14 beadalon would work. Thanks for all your replies. :D

Gingerbiscuit
09-27-2004, 11:47 AM
OOO, OOO, Baby!!! Your piece is beautiful!!!That's what I wanted to see. The instructions I was following said to start with more beads but I think eight looks perfect so you don't have to have anyhting inside the tube. What kind of thread do you use? I was wondering if size 14 beadalon would work. Thanks for all your replies. :D

Thank you! :)

I used nymo D. You could use silamide, c-lon or any other nylon thread suitable for beadweaving. I wouldn't use beadalon. If you want to bead around a cord that you will leave in place, rattail is a perfect fit for an 8 bead start with tubular peyote - the finished result is a lot stiffer due to the cord.

:)

Patricia'sglass
09-27-2004, 12:14 PM
Thank, Lynne :D