PDA

View Full Version : Critique on pics please!

Steffi
09-24-2004, 02:46 PM
Hi!

Yesterday i made these two sets. The colors of the Ice flowers are shown well in the pic. But i can't seem to capture the reds of my fire flowers... I took the pic once in the sun and then in the shadow. The red is a very bright and dark red and the orange seems to glow. In the pic it all seems to be kind of pale... These beads are going on the bay and i wanna show the real colors...sigh...

greetings

Steffi

Foofaraw
09-24-2004, 02:54 PM
I think your picture are very clear, crisp and show the beauty of the beads. As far as the red, I have found the my camera hates reds/pinks and purples so I had to purchase photo shop so I could fix the color. Do you have access to a photo editing program?

Mr.Smiley
09-24-2004, 04:06 PM
Photoshop... Photoshop... Photoshop! I have never gotten a great image on colored work straight out of the camera. Photoshop allows you to lighten and contrast as well as adjust the color spectrum. It also allows you to sharpen the image nicely. I always have the piece in hand when I'm tweaking the color... for reference. You don't want the pic to look different than the glass is in real life... that is easy to do with Photoshop. Just match it as close as possible to the real piece. It look like you are well on your way for sure! Nice stuff.

I saw a post on making a light box. I have one and it's great because the lighting never changes once you get it right. You can also take pics in the rain and at night. You can bring in a branch if you still want that natural ellement. I used to take pictures outside and it was a real pain. Sometimes they came out great, but I just couldn't duplicate all natures variables very often.

Much love... Mr. Smiley

dogmaw
09-24-2004, 05:04 PM
You might want to change the background to a plain light gray too. That will help the red pop.

Jo

Helen Simon
09-24-2004, 05:45 PM
Hi Steffi, My camera likes the shade. I love your wooden background..I use one, too, but in the shade...I wait until the time is right, or create my own...even a hand can block glare...I often do that. Love, Helen

thatgirl
09-24-2004, 06:10 PM
Hi Steffi!

Beautiful beads.. but I KNOW what you're going through.. I just replied to another post where Dawn was having problems with photography of her beads. I've been playing around with backgrounds lately and since I'm having a difficult time finding the 'grey card' that some people use to photograph their beads on, I made my own by just copying a grey card from the web, blowing it up in PSP to fit a standard letter and printed it out.. the difference was amazing! For the first time ever, I didn't have to 'tweak' the shots - I just cropped the image and added a border and I was ready to go. If you'd like to try it, just email me and I'll send you the JPG image of the grey card you can print out. Here's one picture I took using this method - normally brown is one of those colors, for me at least, that ends up looking black, but it showed up perfectly with the background!

Cheers,
Sue :cat:

!ngridh
09-24-2004, 06:45 PM
I finally figured out how to use psp the way Amy does in her tutorial...I shoot on white and in bright sun light...she uses a cloud dome I think...anyway...the I just floodfill the background to white...works great but took a bit of effort to figure it out...

is this better...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Sep-2004/10727-Feuerblumen_Licht1.jpg