PDA

View Full Version : MY heart just Broke , well My Dragon anyway!

Lizardglass
09-24-2004, 01:49 PM
Here is the most amazing piece of glass I own. It is from Ray Olson who I believe to be one of the best , he is also one of the most patient and wonderful person to learn from. So is his wife Beth who some of you may know. If given the opportunity I would Highly recommend taking a class with either of them or both. Anywho. I bought this dragon when I was in Orlando the last time, It's so beautiful that it makes me smile everytime I see it , (I wish the pictures did it justice) I wired him onto a bail to hang from my rearview in the car careful to make sure he couldn't hit anything. Well as some of you know I went through a very hard time recently and it's funny but when I was driving around and the sun would shine thru my Dragon which I named Phoenix I would forget everything that was bad and somehow feel better. Well he Broke , his wings then the other day his marble popped off , I am so sad. I don't want another one cause this one meant so much but I just wanted everyone to see him in his full glory.

Smedstad
09-24-2004, 02:22 PM
If it's boro, it may in fact be fixable. I am sure that someone else will respond yes or no.

Debbie

Mr.Smiley
09-24-2004, 02:40 PM
Reworking in a flame will be tough. Far beyond my abilities... I've tried and it never works... even on simple breaks. My best was still pretty bad, so I just don't do it any more.

The best fix if you have all the parts is to use some UV glue. It's just good stuff. You won't even notice the break if you do it right. I got a tube off the internet, but you'll need a UV lamp that produces the right wave length light to cure it. Ask a local glass shop if they have it or can do the repair for you.

Hope this helps... sorry for your loss. I hate when stuff like this happens.

Lewis W
09-24-2004, 03:04 PM
If it is boro then the fix is very easy. The repair process is the same as the creative process.
Send it back to Ray . I have been repairing my work for over thirty years. It is a good selling technique to let the buyer know that it can be repaired.
Jut heat up the pieces in an oven, punty them up, and weld back together.
Lewis C Wilson

Mr.Smiley
09-24-2004, 04:14 PM
Ok, now I have to keep trying... I just thought it was a losing battle. I love this forum.

Lewis, how do you keep it looking smooth. Whenever I heat it up hot enough on a thin piece to get a bright glow and good fuse, it starts to gather on small pieces. Then I touch and pull slightly and it never looks right. There's always a bloop on one side or it stretches too much and still doesn't look right. On pieces that aren't symetrical, this poses a problem beacuse you can't rotate evenly and get it to flow round... any tips would be great. I'll go make something, break it and practice...

Much love... Mr. Smiley