PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh local artist club?

mroy27
09-24-2004, 12:29 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have been been a Wet Canvas member for a year now and I spend atleast an hour or two everyday on this website even though this is my first post. I have been greatly helped by the artists over here, they without even knowing how much they have assisted me. I am really grateful to them. I am primarily self taught and have learnt a lot about composition, techniques, acrylics and so much more. I hope to get a digital camera soon so that I can post some of my Acrylic work.
Now I have seen some members here who are from the Pittsburgh area and I wanted to know if there are any local artist clubs in Pittsburgh? I moved to Pittsburgh last year and I don't know many people in this city and especially want to know more people with same interests as myself. It is hard to make friends when you are moving as much as I do, in the last 6 years this is the fourth city I have moved to.

Thanks a bunch...
Manju

ExpressiveAngie
09-24-2004, 07:19 PM
I am from the south so no help but I wanted to say HELLO :wave:

Lady Carol
09-24-2004, 09:33 PM
Have you done an internet search?

mroy27
09-24-2004, 09:45 PM
Angie: Thanks for your welcome!
Carol: Funny you would ask that! I did lots of searches and found this organization called Pittsburgh Center of the Arts, which stated that it had lots of Arts classes and claimed to be a good way to meet lot of artists. Infact this org was founded in 1945... that old. So I decided to pay them a visit and was really excited.When I reached there I found out that just the day before they closed down the center after so many years because of a $ 2 million debt! Since then I have been trying other places but haven't had any luck.

ExpressiveAngie
09-25-2004, 06:56 AM
I really believe I am lucky to live in a small town sometimes...no such problems finding the art association, heck they find you sometimes!

Of course Wet Canvas is a better art association in a lot of ways:
1. I have never had to make cookies or cake for wet canvas
2. I can go see the art, participate and chat people up in my nitegown
3. You can learn ways of self promoting here also, look in the art business forum

So keep looking for your local art assoc but use wet canvas also - loads of info right here as you already know, just try to participate and watch what you learn :)

Lady Carol
09-25-2004, 09:36 AM
I tend to agree with Angie. Before I found Wetcanvas I had no contact with other artists and in fact did not know where to get exposure to them. So I would paint and kind of like the result but not really like it. Basically I didn't know what I was doing wrong....nor what I was doing right. I was just doing. Posting on Wetcanvas allowed exposure to other artists. They had the experience to say the perspective is off, or that there are not enough darks, etc. Also I was able to see other artists works and learn composition from looking and asking questions.

This site has helped me substantially. I have gone from the timid pictures of 3 years ago to the bold compositions of today. If I hadn't found it I wouldn't be as productive as I am today, nor would I be selling.

Allow us to be your art club. Go to classes if you wish, and I highly recommend doing that. You may find an art club through that but in the mean time, come and actively join us. You will be very welcome. :D

mroy27
09-25-2004, 10:26 AM
Angie and Carol : Really appreciate your comments and I totally agree that Wet Canvas is actually a better forum to improve art especially for someone who keeps moving from place to place. And where in the world am I going to get so many distinguished artists in the same place! I am just waiting to get a good digital camera as I got one few months back and was not happy with the results, either the photo didn't have real colors of the painting or it was blurred. I am hoping I can give myself a Christmas present this year by getting a good quality camera! I know I will feel a little intimidated when I post my first painting but then that's how it is with every body. What is also amazing, as you pointed out Carol, you can clearly see how each one distinctly improved with each composition and painting and made remarkable progress.

So, if I get any information about a local club fine else I will just start shopping for a camera!

Thanks Again... :wave:

BeeCeeEss
09-25-2004, 08:13 PM
Manju,

I lived in Pittsburgh, PA for 15 years before moving to Greensburg way back in 1988. There are definitely art clubs and such organizations in Pittsburgh. I see them listed in my art magazines frequently. I'll grab some old copies and look through them to see if I can give you more specific info, but you can also look for such information in magazines like American Artist Magazine, or The Artist's Magazine, or Watercolor Magic, or Watercolor. Look in the back portion of most of these magazines for information on clubs and orgainzations. They are listed by state and I'm sure you will find listings for Pittsburgh. I know there is a large and very active watercolor club or society there. I'll post back if I find something more specific.

Welcome to Western Pennsylvania!

[I'm back]

I found a listing for:

Pittsburgh Watercolor Society
c/o Ron Thurston, President
Pittsburgh Center for the Arts
Mellon Park,
6300 Fifth Ave.
Pittsburgh, PA 15232

Sadly, they don't list a phone number for contacting them. They also don't list any web site. But you can try sending a letter or postcard to them requesting info on membership. Hope this helps.

Beverly

mroy27
09-26-2004, 10:58 AM
Thanks Beverly for your reply. I will definitely check out the artist magazine. I think I did but I will see one more time to see if I missed any that I haven't contacted. Meanwhile, I infact mentioned about the Pittsburgh Center for the Arts
..they were one of the biggest in Pittsburgh but they shut down few weeks back. All classes have been cancelled and all clubs dissolved as far as I know.

BeeCeeEss
09-26-2004, 08:09 PM
Thanks Beverly for your reply. I will definitely check out the artist magazine. I think I did but I will see one more time to see if I missed any that I haven't contacted. Meanwhile, I infact mentioned about the Pittsburgh Center for the Arts
..they were one of the biggest in Pittsburgh but they shut down few weeks back. All classes have been cancelled and all clubs dissolved as far as I know.

What a shame! I didn't realize that the Pittsburgh Watercolor Society was dissolved due to the Pgh. Center for the Arts closing. I was hoping they would just locate another headquarters. Wonder if they will leave a forwarding address with the post office?

Sorry for being too little and too late. I did an online search last night and found that listing info at a site for something called "World of Watercolor", an online magazine for watercolor and acrylics. Theirs was the first listing when I did a search in Google for the Pgh. Watercolor Society.

Not every issue of the art magazines will have club information, but if you look for the issues that have listings for workshops, shows and such, you are likely to find club listings, too.

Good luck. In the meantime, Wet Canvas is a great resource and gathering place for artists and art lovers.

Beverly