PDA

View Full Version : New at painting!

suegercag
09-24-2004, 08:54 AM
Hiya :wave:
My husband has been painting for a while now in his spare time and has got me interested. I start out doing a bit of silk painting first but got a bit bored. So I am now trying acrylics. I haven't done it before but have always liked artwork and read a few articles on it, especially on this site. I have done two now, first one is of my husband, done in two colours, then ventured a bit more and did one of my son. Its not very imaginative is it! Sorry about the posting I have never entered any forums in my life, What a coward!
Would appreciate any thoughts on these paintings
Cheers! Sue
(ps the rays that show at the top of both painting is not part of the paintings)

Bertoni
09-24-2004, 10:23 AM
Sue: This is excellent work! :clap: :clap: :clap:
You definately have great talent for painting and acrylics. I see a really powerful style developing here!! Terrific!!! :)

Lady Carol
09-24-2004, 10:28 AM
Sue,
Welcome to the wonderful world of acrylics :wave:
I understand your nervousness about posting your work. You are hanging yourself out to dry so to speak...worried about the response from strangers. We have all been there. I lurked for a while before I got the courage to post also.

The people on WC are very friendly and the majority of comments are constructive. I have never found a benefit to trashing someone's art and then expecting nice words about my paintings. I think most feel this way also. You will find nothing but support and constructive comments/crits.

Having said that.....the red one does not take my fancy but I like the concept. It reminded me of the techniques I used to do in the darkroom to achieve this sort of effect. :)

Now the one of your son, that is something and this definitely shows promise. It has the appearance of being an underpainting or a study for a future painting. This one is great. The angle of the head is unusual and captivating. I also like the blue in the hair. :clap: :clap: :clap:

suegercag
09-24-2004, 10:59 AM
Cheers Bertoni and Carol!
I probably will get used to this then you won't get me to shut up!
My painting of my son, funnily enough, was taken from a photo which I cropped to just his head and shoulders. I had just dyed his hair and put blue and white highlights through it, now I am going to spoil it a bit, the reason he was bent looking like that was his girlfriend was brushing the cut hairs of his back!! :D

joa
09-24-2004, 11:25 AM
Suegercag, it really doesn't matter how the pose happened! What's important is that the artist's eye sees the composition and takes advantage of it. Also, you cropped it to make it even better. Very nice work! :clap:

Jo

Charlie's Mum
09-24-2004, 12:09 PM
Sue, welcome to WC!
How come your so new to painting when you have this much ability? :confused: :)
I like both paintings - the concept is different in each and both have merit....the second, I think, is more personal and involved with the subject and this is why it probably appeals more: the first is more graphic and seems less personal.....could be simply the picture of a man for a CD cover for instance.......conveys a mood but not a character.........do you know what I mean? I'm probably not explaining myself too well!!!!!
You're probably hooked now that you've made your first postings, so I look forward to seeing more of your work. :D

ExpressiveAngie
09-24-2004, 07:22 PM
Your hubby in red (my fav color btw) very fitting for a lover to be painted in red I think...love it!

Both paintings rock.

Bendaini
09-25-2004, 02:10 AM
For this being your first painting in acrylics you did very well. I've been painting for years and still can't get that good a painting in acrylics.

The red for your husband... that is an interesting technique. It reminds me of paper cutting. And I agree, red is very apropriate for a lover.

As for the painting of your son, that one just looks great. It has a good angle and interesting pose. It's very hard to do a portraite at that angle, so you did doubly well.

HRH Goldie
09-25-2004, 04:53 PM
Hi Su and welcome The painting of your hubby is very 'pop art' and it would look really cool screen printed in various colours just like the famous Marilyn Monroe one. The study of your son is really unusual - I say unusual meaning the angle or viewpoint it's taken from. You have an enviable talent quite obviously for portraiture and you will have to continue now as it would be such a waste to let go. You say your hubby is a painter he'd better watch out lol if these are your first you are going to go far. :clap: :wave:

Christine

suegercag
09-25-2004, 05:18 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments and helpful websites. I hope now to start another one, if only I can get off this site! :p I Keep finding so much in it to look at. But the weekend in Saudi has finished now so back to boring work tomorrow :(