PDA

View Full Version : It's hard to give up donuts.....

StefaniBeads
09-24-2004, 07:28 AM
Yes, I really have given up the Dunkin' Donuts, but I will always love the donut shaped beads! LOL!! :D

I posted these beads in another thread where I showed my results from a three day beadmaking marathon, so here's the "rounder" and "really round" ones I've been crazy about lately! This is the way I make most of my round focal beads, and I decided to try it with smaller beads. They were a little difficult at first, but now they're easy and the way I do it is not so time consuming as I thought it would be.

The round beads are about 10mm hole to hole, and 11mm wide, and the turquoise/black beads are about 10mm x 12mm, they are just "fatter" and getting away from the donut shape. The rounds have "flush" holes, no dimples, because if they dimple in too much that takes away from the "ball" shape. When I made these, a couple didn't have enough glass in the making, and the holes were slightly sharp, and some were dimpled, so they went in the "reject" jar, lol! They really are fun to make once you get used to doing it.

Oh and BTW, for those of you who remember a while back that I offered to give a tutorial on how I make the round beads, I still want to do that. I didn't forget! ;) If this hurricane doesn't put me out of making beads this weekend, then I'll try and get some pictures for this tutorial. I have to show you pictures, it's too hard to explain, plus this will benefit the visual learners, like me! :)

StefaniBeads
09-24-2004, 07:32 AM
Gosh, I really hate those "white flecks" that look like they are on the beads! :mad: I don't know what it is about my camera and lighting set-up that causes it. :confused:

kissmyglass
09-24-2004, 08:14 AM
I love your beads! BTW I just had a photograghy lesson from a friend who is really knowledable and i thnk your "white fleck problem " is caused by hard lighting. Get a really thick box ( Staples, office depot ) and spray the inside white. Cut out squares in three sides and add light diffusing panels ( anyway you can) I used clamps. Then you can move your light source around - my friend recommended the clamp on gooseneck light from HOME DEPOT and you are in business! Also my friend thinks that using a lighted makeup mirror covered in Gauze would light the beads from underneath and be really good but I didn't try it yet. However all this is so frustrating when you JUST WANT TO MAKE BEADS!!!!! again great beads!

StefaniBeads
09-24-2004, 08:24 AM
I love your beads! BTW I just had a photograghy lesson from a friend who is really knowledable and i thnk your "white fleck problem " is caused by hard lighting. Get a really thick box ( Staples, office depot ) and spray the inside white. Cut out squares in three sides and add light diffusing panels ( anyway you can) I used clamps. Then you can move your light source around - my friend recommended the clamp on gooseneck light from HOME DEPOT and you are in business! Also my friend thinks that using a lighted makeup mirror covered in Gauze would light the beads from underneath and be really good but I didn't try it yet. However all this is so frustrating when you JUST WANT TO MAKE BEADS!!!!! again great beads!

Thank you for the compliment :o , and the photograghy info! I've been thinking about using some kind of light box to diffuse light, and your reply is a lot of help! :)

And yes, what a pain all this other stuff is! I wish I could just melt the glass and the "glass fairies" would happily do all the other work for me. Unless I can get my sweet angelic DD to help out, yeah right! :wink2:

Smitty
09-24-2004, 09:59 AM
Lisa,
I really love these beads. The group shot you posted did not do these justice. The shape is great and I love the caramel colors on your first set. I think your pictures are very crisp and clear. The specks to me don't take away from the effect, but I know we are always striving for better pictures of our work. We want people to be able to "feel" them with their eyes! I look forward to a tutorial on the round shape. This is something I have yet to master.I hope you "dodge the bullet", this hurricane season has been unbelievable. I live just outside New Orleans and I know how you feel.
Good luck with your pictures this weekend. :wave:
Always,

ValorieCox
09-24-2004, 10:22 AM
Yes Lisa, but no one makes round, consistant beads quite like you do (well except Adriana, of course :p)...don't stop, they are fantastic. But once you give up on the round, and venture to the focal, sculptural or pressed shape, trust me...you'll never go back. :D

Val

jbriz
09-24-2004, 10:55 AM
Beautiful beads....and the light flecks aren't a problem for me. I am looking forward to seeing your tutorial. I would love to be able to create those wonderful round shapes without a sharp edge!

Hope you have no problems with the weather. It's about time all of you get a break.....

Becky Mason
09-24-2004, 09:57 PM
Lisa,

Great beads. Wonderful shape, teriffic colors, and amazing consistency. One of the questions I get asked by every beginner bead maker is, "How do you make a bunch of beads the same size?" I tel them, PPP. I guess in the future I should just tell them to contact you! :D

Becky

collectiblesbyrose
09-24-2004, 11:33 PM
Oh, gosh, Lisa! I'd love to have a tutorial on how to make really round beads like you make them! :clap: I've about got little spacer donuts down and ready to move on to bigger things. I love the swirls of colors in your beads. How do you do that?
Thanks!

StefaniBeads
09-25-2004, 07:22 AM
Oh, gosh, Lisa! I'd love to have a tutorial on how to make really round beads like you make them! :clap: I've about got little spacer donuts down and ready to move on to bigger things. I love the swirls of colors in your beads. How do you do that?
Thanks!

I made the "swirly" beads by accident one day, well not really an accident, but they were a surprise! I use multi-colored twisties, and the beads in the bottom pic, the swirls are "dotted" on and melted, repeat this over and over until you get the coverage you want. :)