PDA

View Full Version : Fits Better Here

it'sALLart
09-24-2004, 12:02 AM
I originally posted this in acrylics forum, but I think it fits better here:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218063

AFM159
09-24-2004, 11:14 AM
Hi there, it'sAllart! Thanks for sharing with us! Nice work!

You asked for C&C in the original thread so I'll reply briefly. Interesting that you chose to do this on vellum, did it not buckle uncontrollably? Overall, I like the stylized design and the colors. If I were to offer any criticism, it would be to work on your figure drawing. However, take that for what it's worth, my figure drawing is worse.

it'sALLart
09-24-2004, 11:20 AM
Thanks Dave and don't worry about the figure drawing thing, believe me i wouldnt give it high marks there either... it had started out to be a primitive (where, for me, actual correctness of figure isn't normally a concern) and then morphed into what it is... i guess if i'd have started it out as a pure illustration, things would have gone differently.... some day's i just don't know what's gonna happen! :D

well, i'm off to a client meeting. ugh. :(

mixed emotions, glad for the work and the $, but.....

designbyjen
09-28-2004, 09:11 PM
welcome fellow 'green' lover. if it's not paint, it might as well be a plant, right?! tis the season for gathering those gems.
i wanted to say i really like the seasonal change in the background, very nice!
also like the stylization of this piece...kind of a fresh take on the classical.
i'm not into dictionary meanings here...is it latin for 'ovum'?.. but putting the text there really changes the meaning around for me. i guess cuz 'ovum' to me(no language meaning expert here)...says 'female' and the person is male...it kind of makes me stop & question the message. if it were a female there & ovum written there would be a myriad of other publishing uses for this piece dependant upon the article it'd be matched with (gardening & women's issues). i guess it just depends. in this instance w/ your description, i guess i'm just wondering if the text is necessary, beyond the nice visual weight it offers.
what do you think...this just might be an issue of 'context' here. i really do like the piece as a whole.
p.s. i grow those sweet pea flora too :wink2:
~~~jen

it'sALLart
09-29-2004, 08:57 AM
hey jen, thanks for the compliments....

yup, ya got me on that word biz, but my heart was in the right place.

the actual definition of ovum is egg, but "ovule" is what I was going for. If you look up seed, you get the latin "Ovule" and if you look that up you see that it is the diminutive of Ovum, which means egg... I think I've seen ovum used in place of seed since actually it's more like an egg. Some folks think seed = sperm, (and thus male) but actually to be more correct, pollen = sperm, and seed = fertilized egg, since it's the product of pollen meeting the female reproductive part of the plant. But now i'm getting all bogged down in terminology.

I had not really put any kind of rules or symbology in the picture, ie. the man carrying the bag with a feminine word on it... i just wanted the man to be carrying a bag that was labeled "seeds" in latin... and should have used Ovule... and the plural of Ovule is "Ova"... I missed by a two letters, dash it! I could of also used the latin term for sperm but then he'd be carrying a bag of pollen and that would of been really confusing. Unless he was a bee but those are harder to draw. Ok, now I'm just rambling... I'm starting to sound like Hank Kimball.

And that's your hackneyed latin lesson for the day. :)

Axl
09-29-2004, 11:49 AM
i'm not into dictionary meanings here...is it latin for 'ovum'?.. but putting the text there really changes the meaning around for me. i guess cuz 'ovum' to me(no language meaning expert here)...says 'female' and the person is male...it kind of makes me stop & question the message. if it were a female there & ovum written there would be a myriad of other publishing uses for this piece dependant upon the article it'd be matched with (gardening & women's issues). i guess it just depends. in this instance w/ your description, i guess i'm just wondering if the text is necessary, beyond the nice visual weight it offers.
what do you think...this just might be an issue of 'context' here. i really do like the piece as a whole.

I think its the word on the bag, too combined with the way he is carrying his crop like hes cradeling in his hand, like hes holding his children. Makes me not think so much of gathering, but of creating and tending to the crop. hmm.

The colours are absolutely beautiful, and I love them to death. It is a great style. Very eye catching :D

Just a bit of WC info, you're more than welcome to cross-post your work around the site, including sticking the image in each of the threads. 2 or 3 forums is usually acceptable to maximize the amount of feedback you get from a larger variety of people.

Anyways, Now. Lets all go out and figure draw. lol.