PDA

View Full Version : Nick's Tiger....WIP

Muffin_4377
09-23-2004, 07:36 PM
Hi folks,

This is going to be for my brother Nick. He and his family will be moving east as soon as they can...(hopefully not too soon...I don't want to have to send it in the mail!!!)

I'm having issues with the BG....are the colors working?

Any other advice would be most welcome!!

appox. 12" x 17" , W&N pastels on Canson.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2004/36417-Tiger3WIP.JPG

Paula Ford
09-23-2004, 08:08 PM
Hi Muffin,

This is coming along beautifully. :clap: :clap: It's eyes are so real and your colors are wonderful.

Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Paula

khourianya
09-24-2004, 01:24 AM
Those eyes are amazing :)

I'm undecided on the background. The colours work, but I guess you need to ask if you are going for a really realistic background or for a more abstract one. At the moment it is striking me as more abstract.

I can't wait to see how it turns out..it should be stunning no matter which direction you choose

prestonsega
09-24-2004, 04:01 AM
Hi folks,

I'm having issues with the BG....are the colors working?

Any other advice would be most welcome!!

Lookin' good so far..keep on keepin on. Nice complimentary color scheme going on here! Nick is going to be so happy I am sure. Sorry he's going to move ... this is bound to be a treasured piece for generations...when he and you are sitting around with your great grandkids, he will retell the story of how great great aunt Dania painted this tiger when he was a young man,,,,

Are you working on the backside of Canson.......looks like the larger toothed surface.

Khadres
09-24-2004, 12:59 PM
I think the background works very well! Can't wait to see this finished...be sure and give us a progress report and image! Beautiful tiger!

Muffin_4377
09-26-2004, 11:25 PM
Thx guys for the feed back. Sorry I took so long to reply, I was gone for the weekend

Paula thx for the encouragement. :D

Khouri. :wave: ..I do need to do more work with the BG....but as for what direction I'm going in, I not really sure. I'm debting on how much detail I want to do in the grasses...do I want to keep them loose, or do I want to define them more and make them more realistic.

Preston...I think I'm working on the top side.... :confused: What are the benefits of the backside?

Khadres...Thx :) ...I'm hoping to do some more work on it tomorrow. Then hopefully pic and post it.....key word being "hopefully"... :rolleyes:

prestonsega
09-26-2004, 11:48 PM
Now that I have looked again, I , too think you are on the front side of the Canson Mi-Teintes. Some artists prefer the back side because it has a larger tooth that is more readily visible. I prefer the front.

I see you have started out with a light touch..that is good with this support in that it won't hold many layers of pastel. For that reason, I recommend pushing your darks early. (You can always brush of excess pigment to re-expose the tooth.)

How'a that goal of reading all the art books in the library coming?

Muffin_4377
09-27-2004, 01:10 AM
How'a that goal of reading all the art books in the library coming?

Quite well actually... :D There's not much at our library for pastel books, 3-4 is all, but I'm taking home anything that would/could apply. Reading everything containing anything about composition or color. I'm also working through the art history section (very slowly)...I actually read "The Group of Seven" recently.
My daughter is also loving being able to go and pick new books every couple of weeks. The only problem is just trying to get her to chose 4 or 5 not 20 :rolleyes: .
Next trip there I'm gonna check and see what they have for instructional videos...(I hadn't thought about this until just this week...I can be a little slow :wink2: )

Mikki Petersen
09-28-2004, 02:11 PM
Intriguing start Dania. The tiger is coming along quite realistically. I think the background colors are good for pushing the tiger to the center of interest. My suggestion would be not to get too involved in detail behind the tiger. Those blades of grass could pull the viewer away from the tiger although all those bright oranges and yellows should hold their interest.

Muffin_4377
10-07-2004, 01:13 PM
Hi all :wave: ... I'm back with an update.....finally. I really need to get this done...I keep telling myself I can't start anything else until this is done. Just having some trouble keeping the motivation for this one. Does anyone else experience this...get half way through a painting and lose all spunk for it?

havin' some struggles with the nose and mouth area... :(
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2004/36417-Nicks_Tiger_4.JPG

PS....My bro and his family bought a house here in town, instead of moving east....maybe that's why I'm procrastinating......... :wink2:

Dea
10-08-2004, 04:51 AM
Yes I have that trouble, it's usually because I've been looking at the picture so long that I can't see what is wrong anymore and I need to put it away for a couple of days. I can see what you mean about the mouth area, sorry I'm not good enough to offer anything helpful though.
I think it is excellent so far.

Muffin_4377
10-08-2004, 12:35 PM
Thx deanna :wave: ....I would put it away for a couple of days, but I know myself well enough that I know that I wouldn't pull it out again. I think I have an addiction to unfinished projects.. :wink2:(or so my hubby says)

Did some work to it yesterday...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2004/36417-Nicks_Tiger_5.JPG

Needs some more tweaking around the mouth area I see....and I have to figure out how to put in his whiskers....(I forgot about them... :rolleyes: )

C&C welcome....thx

Muffin_4377
10-20-2004, 01:21 PM
Hey guys....Are you getting as tired looking at this one as much as I am...? :rolleyes: Well I think I'm finished....finally. I worked on it last night until 3 am. I want it the heck off my easel!!

16.5" x 12"
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Oct-2004/36417-Nicks_Tiger_Fin.JPG

the pic is alittle dark. Anything screaming at ya? I'm here to learn so any advice is most welcome..

LostInWonderArt
10-20-2004, 02:04 PM
WOW, in the last scan of the tiger, it's almost like the sun popped out and hit him. I do love these vivid colors.

And, NO, I'm not at all bored of seeing this. It's been great seeing it come along this whole time. I'm sure you probably feel differently :wink2:

Maureen

ThomasStraten
10-20-2004, 03:09 PM
With all respect and humility from newbie:

1.- I have a slight problem with the background....I guess if darker (or not light blue), it would give more mistery and perhaps a more "jungle" look.

2.- The hair around the head (dunno how to say in english) makes me think of a slight mixture with a lion's "crinière".... It seems too hairy (long hairs??) to be a tiger.

Does this make sense? And sorry to put it back on the easel.... :crying:

Muffin_4377
10-20-2004, 04:31 PM
thank you Maureen and Thomas...

Maureen thx for your kind words, I really just need to start something new. I got pretty restless with this one towards the end. :)

Thomas I believe the word you were looking for was "mane". I see what your saying....I see now how I would have done that differently..Unfortunately changing it isn't really an option...I can't put anymore layers on and I have already thoroughly abused the paper.. :eek: :rolleyes:

I think I would have went a little more at the BG if I had more pastels. I'm working with a 24 set of W&N halfsticks...not much for choices. The light blue I used was the only one I had that didn't over take the subject. Now, is that my excuse for the painting or just a excuse for more pastels?!! MORE PASTELS!!! (that's what I'll tell my hubby anyway... :evil: :D )

Thx again guys!

bogbeast
10-20-2004, 04:47 PM
Came out really nice, Dania! :clap: :clap:

ThomasStraten
10-20-2004, 07:22 PM
Wow, knowing that you achieved that with just 24 W&N makes me nearly cry....!!! (envy is a sin, i know, i know!!!)
so : :clap: :clap: :clap: :evil: :evil: :(

Now for hubbie:
try to persuade him for a 60 color halves set of Rembrandt.... I just got my hands on it and they are really nice, harder than W&N (i have the set of landscape that is all). And their color are just ....well.....Birthday? or Christmas, or Joyful Night? or...... we, husbands, are soooo manipulable.... :angel:

Fantastic job (and thanks for the word mane)

Muffin_4377
10-20-2004, 09:55 PM
Now for hubbie:
try to persuade him for a 60 color halves set of Rembrandt.... I just got my hands on it and they are really nice, harder than W&N (i have the set of landscape that is all). And their color are just ....well.....Birthday? or Christmas, or Joyful Night? or......

Oh I can remember a few "o'Joyful nights" that he owes me for!!! :evil: :p :D lol

I actually have my eye on some schminkes...so he better get his pocket book ready!! :D