PDA

View Full Version : Structured Critique, Please

LoriGreenberg-Beadnerd
09-23-2004, 01:17 PM
Hi Everyone.

Here's something new I did yesterday, shown front and back. I like the first step but there's something missing. The process is: base color (which doesn't really matter because it seems to get covered, heavy layer of frit mixture, layer of enamel mixture and raku frit stringer.

The one thing I can think of is maybe less frit so the background does show through.

Please help me push to the next level. Thoughts? Ideas?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2004/16432-critique2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2004/16432-critique1.jpg

dogmaw
09-23-2004, 01:27 PM
To me, the overall bead looks a little dark. Maybe a lighter color for the stringer? That will give it some zip.

Jo

wildwire
09-23-2004, 01:42 PM
Hi! I think that some spacers in the blue or rust color would help pop those colors out....but to add to the beads - I am not sure! This is just what I do if I had those beads to make into jewellery...I think the ivory stringer idea would be great too!

I love the shape....- maybe make the dots on the edges in solid colors like ivory or the blue

Good luck...let us see the finished product once its tweaked...

Shauna

LoriGreenberg-Beadnerd
09-23-2004, 01:53 PM
This picture might show the colors better:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2004/16432-critique3.jpg

I agree that they're dark. That's why I was thinking less frit (which basically colors the whole bead) and a lighter background. I have some on opal yellow background too. Or maybe putting in a lighter frit in the mix for contrast.

As for the dots on the edges, they're actually not dots. It's a sculpted ridge that is made with the whole base color. Maybe I could add a lighter color on the tips though. Thanks...just typing out loud here.

GinaJ
09-23-2004, 02:03 PM
I think that if you just used a lighter background, everything would be perfect. All the other wonderful colors would just pop. Maybe a background like opal yellow, etc.

Wojobeada
09-23-2004, 02:12 PM
I agree about the need for some more contrast. Either less frit or the spacers would do it.
They're great looking beads.

Cindy D.
09-23-2004, 02:18 PM
I like the overall look and shape of the beads - so no suggestions for changes there. If you were to introduce a lighter base you would need to go lighter on the frit covering or... introduce some of that lighter base colour into the frit mix that you're using - or incorporate it into some stringer covering?!

swamperfolk
09-23-2004, 02:19 PM
I agree about the need for some more contrast. Either less frit or the spacers would do it.
They're great looking beads.

I agree about the contrast but not in the way you may think. I like the shape and color of these and I would not like them to be complicated with different color dots. I like the surface texture that you have started and flat on the back is a great idea for bracelets. What I'm thinking is more texture on the front..... say indentations of circles or stars or shapes of come kind. Remember a few months ago Brad Pearson come up with some textured beads by poking and stamping with brass or copper shapes? These would look great with more texture. Don't change a single other thing. Beautiful color combo by the way.

Stand back fro the computer, squint and look at your beads as if the marks were indentations.

Vaverska
09-23-2004, 02:33 PM
Lori, my response is the opposite to some of the others . Though the color is dark, I am in Love with the subdued appearance. I actually would prefer them in a much simpler form though. I think the texture of the color applications is "busy' enough to stand on its own in a simpler shape. Maybe plain lentils or barrels, or even a simple "swirl". And the idea of spacers to pick up one of the brighter or more contrsting colors is good too. Often, a bead that just looks "dead" for me in one color combination, comes to life with the right accent.
If you want to try lighter, I agree that they would POP! a bit more if the colors were higher contrast, maybe complimentary as well as more tonal difference.
BTW, Your shape is very interesting, and an AWESOME job in repeating it consistently! :clap: Thanks for sharing your work!

toozygoot
09-23-2004, 06:27 PM
Lori - I think these look very much like quarried, cut and polished stone, showing the natural striations. So the colors here really work for me. And you could build a series around this - grays for Vermont marble, pinks like some Italian marble. But in that type of look, I would agree with Carrie about keeping the shaping more simple.

A suggestion! If you like the idea of imitating stone, go to a Home Depot and pick up samples of their countertop offerings along that line.

Very nice beads!

pat

LoriGreenberg-Beadnerd
09-23-2004, 06:51 PM
Thanks Everyone! Keep 'em coming.

I'm off to the torch in a minute, hopefully and I'm going to try some of the suggestions out.

When I started this I didn't know what to ask for in a critique because like you noticed, there is so much going on in each bead.

I love the shapes but think they need a simpler color and design.

I love the colors but think they do need a more subtle, smoother form, like mentioned with maybe a touch of contrast.

Hm. I'll be back tomorrow with more pictures!

If anyone else has any other ideas, throw 'em on!

Studio Marcy
09-23-2004, 07:23 PM
I love them the way they are. I'd love to see them with some amber small spacers or some silver in between. I think just visual space between them, so the eye rests, would make their form and pattern show up better.
And by the way, I adore the shape. Just love, love, love it.
Marcy

Trishki
09-23-2004, 08:44 PM
Lori,
I love, love, love the shape! Absolutley gorgeous!
The colors are nice-but maybe a bit dark for me. I agree that some plain spacers would give the eye a rest,
or maybe leave one section "blank"(not sure technically how you'd do this exactly) with blank I mean a solid maybe a ilttle swirly color. Like plain opal yellow without frit, so that either the raised area in the middle, or the sculpted scallops would be more "plain" for some contrast. That would also probably emphasize the different textures in the shape.

Ohh... I love those shapes!

chocolatier
09-23-2004, 08:47 PM
Lori: They're ugly, so just send them to me and I won't say a word.....Are you kidding? They are GORGEOUS, I just love them, they are so rich and sophisticated. Coupled with some silver findings and worn on a light background, they would be absolutely stunning.

If you send them to me, I'll send you chocolate. :evil:

Linda G.

www.vermontchocolate.com

snootyvixen
09-24-2004, 03:00 PM
I think you should just change the whole color scheme :evil:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Sep-2004/14836-lori.jpg

Seriously though, I think they are super - very "gemstone-ish"

Vikki

Vangie
09-24-2004, 04:23 PM
Lori,
When I first saw these, I was in AWE! You have done such a wondreful job at capturing the look of natural stone! I myself would not change a thing. There is a market out there for these type of beads. (ME... being one of them!) I think the AWESOME flexibility of glass allows us to create items that are almost as beautiful as the ones given to us by Mother Earth!

:wink2:
Blessings,

LoriGreenberg-Beadnerd
10-09-2004, 11:49 AM
Thank you everyone for the feedback. I took some of the suggestions and this is what I've come up with. I don't think they look all that different to me. :( So I need more help! You might have seen other designs I've done with the shape. So, I do like the shape, I'm just struggling with a great design.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Oct-2004/16432-critique1.jpg
First one shown is with lighter dots on the tips of the 'petals' and a lighter background. Under that is just lighter background.

On the right is the ivory stringer attempt. Ew. Something in the frit did not like the ivory, and that's always a risk with ivory.

I forgot what the bottom right was...thus...all looking the same to me.

Next: Larger bead, no sculpting. Maybe this particular color design is better that way. So I'm open to other color/design suggestions for the florette shape.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Oct-2004/16432-critique2.jpg

Thank you again...bring it on!

toozygoot
10-09-2004, 12:13 PM
Lori - I have to tell you that there must be lots of jewelry designers who would love to work with all the beads you've presented here. And they would even love to combine the shapes. I know I would! They speak to many applications. I would offer each color way in a mix that combined the barrel shape and the lentils - with or without the decorative edge - and some solid color spacers. I think an offering like that would be very successful.

pat

Studio Marcy
10-09-2004, 02:14 PM
Lori-
I love your shapes and colors the way they are. But if you want the shape to stand out more, perhaps you might try using glass and frits in patterns that will accentuate the shape more. For example, what if you used your basic color and then added your frit more in the center, so it would hit the raised center spot? Or used a base and rolled the bead in frit that would hit the fun outside edge? Something that would make the bead scream, "This is my shape, and I'm darned proud of it!" Or perhaps a use of enamels on the raised center would look cool too. It's kind of like wearing a red scarf with a basic black dress. If you want the raised center spot to show up the most, be sure to put the brighter or lighter color there. Or use it on the darling edge, if that's what you want to show off.

I'm not good at explaining what's in my head, I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. But honestly, I think your glass the way it is now, is gorgeous and would sell well.

take care and have fun experimenting,
Marcy

LoriGreenberg-Beadnerd
10-10-2004, 11:01 AM
Thank you, Pat and Marcy! Sometimes I just look at something so much that it doesn't look right to me anymore. Add to that, that it's not really something common that is already out there, and I really don't know what to 'judge' it against, and then I really start to get mixed up. I know...I have to work on not trying to fit it into a category and let it be what it is.

Ok, done with my self-analysis there. :)

Patricia'sglass
10-10-2004, 10:27 PM
I really like the shape. As the colors go - I like the bottom one on the right the best. The colors are richer. Thanks for sharing your cool work.

Retta Gates
10-10-2004, 10:32 PM
Maybe I am a freak, but I love love love the colors. I love the shapes too but I almost think they take away from the colors somehow. I would love some of those in "tumbled stone" shape :)

denizen
10-12-2004, 11:37 AM
I love the shape and the colors, but I don't care for the stringer stripes--they're too even and parallel. I know some types of stone have even lines, but these don't work quite right (for me) with the shape of the bead.

I do like the color contrast of the stringer, though--perhaps you could try making it more random, like the veins in marble, or just a roll in the frit.

Also, are the bead backs nearly flat? Could you make them the same as the front?

Oh, and do you have it in a size 8-1/2 narrow, with a slightly higher heel? ;)
Lee

LoriGreenberg-Beadnerd
10-12-2004, 12:00 PM
I love the shape and the colors, but I don't care for the stringer stripes--they're too even and parallel. I know some types of stone have even lines, but these don't work quite right (for me) with the shape of the bead.

I do like the color contrast of the stringer, though--perhaps you could try making it more random, like the veins in marble, or just a roll in the frit.

Also, are the bead backs nearly flat? Could you make them the same as the front?

Oh, and do you have it in a size 8-1/2 narrow, with a slightly higher heel? ;)
Lee

Hee hee. Thanks Lee. Right now the backs are flat and I haven't tried to make them the same but I guess I could!

bjcohan
10-12-2004, 09:59 PM
Lori, I love the colors and patterns and I love the shapes -- but not on the same beads.

The patterns are luscious and rich, almost gemstone-like, and I think the complex shape of the bead draws the eye away from that.

The shapes are also lovely and beautifully executed, but get lost a bit with the complexity of the patterning.

The unsculpted bead you made really shows the patterning off to best advantage. I would bid on that one in a heartbeat!

You're definitely on to something terrific. I would just be wary of having two strong features detracting from each other.

I'm looking forward to seeing where you go with this. Gorgeous stuff!

Barb:cat: