PDA

View Full Version : Other types of Architectural Drawing

AFM159
09-23-2004, 11:03 AM
I've been thinking about the vast array of drawing types that one can get into and thought I'd post a few that I do on a regular basis for clients that those outside the industry don't get to see often. These types of drawings are often used to present designs to planning commissions and city councils, sometimes they will serve double duty as marketing materials.

So, attached are a rendered elevation of a multi-use development and a couple of rendered site plans. All of them are pen&ink with markers.

The elevations are rather large. The client wanted them done to 1/4 inch scale so I had to do it in two sections to fit comfortably on my drawing board and then stitched it together in photoshop. The final printed size was aprox. 18 in. by 6ft.

The first site plan is a small residential development of some condos, original drawing is aprox. 18x24 in. The second is a larger urban development, the original drawing is aprox. 30x40in.

Any comments are always welcome.

AFM159
09-23-2004, 11:06 AM
Ooops. They didn't attach the way I described, they are exactly backwards.

As they posted up the larger urban development is first and the condos are second.

Sorry for any confusion.

debbi_carr
09-23-2004, 03:31 PM
cool to see what you do :)

AFM159
09-27-2004, 04:50 PM
Thank you Debbi!

Axl
09-27-2004, 07:05 PM
Agreed. Very VERY cool and interesting :cool:

designbyjen
09-29-2004, 09:31 AM
quest...for that 6 footer...do you have something in house to print that out or is this something you'd take to a place like kinko's & have them do the banner thing? also...did you mount it & if so what on?
:D
~~~jen

AFM159
09-29-2004, 11:08 AM
Thank you Axl.

Jen, the printer I have could handle it, but I would need the roll-feed attachment and I don't do enough at that size to warrant the extra cost. So I had this one done at a reprographics house (similar to Kinkos), it's also easier to let them mount a piece this big as they have the equipment to do it easily. The largest I do in-house is 24x36.

It is mounted on a product called "Ultra Mount" peel & stick, a poly-impregnated foam core board that will not warp. Similar to Gator Board in it's stiffness but is not archival, but then neither is regular foam core board and these prints aren't meant to last that long anyway.

I buy directly from the manufacturer as they happen to be local and I can get a discount picking it up myself. I use it exclusively as a "value added" concept. Most folks use regular foam core which almost allways warps, so by using a slighly more expensive board that never warps, my mounted peices are a step above the rest.

designbyjen
09-29-2004, 02:27 PM
Shweet! good info too :cool:
~~~jen

TedDawson
09-30-2004, 12:54 AM
These are fun to look at.. all the details. If everybody had broadband, you could post the whole six feet!

Question... what're the grey structures between the buildings in the last two?

AFM159
09-30-2004, 01:00 PM
The grey areas are a bit of a mistake. The drawing that shows the two halves split apart was before I put the whole thing together in Photoshop. They are the stair wells, and I thought they were enclosed and in deep shadow, but in the proofing stage the Architect corrected me, they are infact open, still in deep shadow, but open all the way through. Once I made this change it read much better. I will attach a close up of the final version that should help to clarify what I'm talking about.

This particular project went through 5 or 6 versions as the Architect made design changes and then I made changes, and so forth. At one point there was a street running between the two halves. In the final version they decided to use that space to store trash dumpsters.