PDA

View Full Version : I've been verrrry busy!! Here's a 3 day beadmaking marathon!

StefaniBeads
09-23-2004, 08:21 AM
Here's what I did in 3 days, not straight through, but 7-8 hours each day, lol! I wouldn't be human if I could do this non-stop! :p :D

I did manage to eat and sleep, but everything else was cleaning beads, dipping mandrels, and setting up to do it all over again, you know what I mean! ;) Then the last couple of days I've been taking pictures, editing, uploading, writing descriptions ugh.....and have a LOT more of that to do today. Well, I did make this my "other part time job", but so far the fun hasn't gone out of it......yet! :wink2:

Oh, all this doesn't include the twenty-something "extras" (you know, the ones that don't quite match up), which I have in a baby food jar! And I have a question for HH users (and previous HH users too), is this a lot of beads for the time I put in?? I make mine on the small side and most are rather simple (like the frit beads), but I was wondering, is this good productivity for working on my kind of torch? Do you think I could make more in that period of time with a Minor? Just curious. :) (my new torches are still waiting on me :rolleyes: )

JoyceMI
09-23-2004, 08:34 AM
That is great Lisa! Great beads, nice and colorful!.

I would love to devote 3 straight days in a row to just bead making. I wish I could devote 5 or 6 days a week. I actually have 3 days in a row off and then work 4 but I can't seem to bead all three days. There are those nagging thoughts of that you should do some house work or go run this errand or ........... you know! But I guess if you get your mind set and focus just on beads it can be done.. ........

A "Bead Making Marathon" - I'll have to put that on my list of things to do. :D

editing to add about your last paragraph. I would say you would probably be able to do more beads on a different torch, not sure how many but it is faster melting so I would think you would get more done, but then again depending on style of beads. It's been almost a year since I used my Hot Head. I never really liked mine, beause of the fact it was too slow and noisey........ Do you have another torch already but just havn't hooked it up yet? If so, get that thing hooked up and try it. I actually found it easier to make beads on the minor than the Hot Head.

StefaniBeads
09-23-2004, 08:46 AM
There are those nagging thoughts of that you should do some house work or go run this errand or ........... you know!

House work and errands?! Oh, that! :evil: :p ;) :D

Yeah, I did forget about those things! I had 8 days off from work because I recently reduced my hours to 3 days a week, but they messed my schedule up. :rolleyes: I didn't say anything because that was before we knew what hurricane Ivan was going to do and I needed the time off anyway. Well, we got lucky (it's sad because other folks weren't), then I relaxed a little and went to pick up my 30lb tank from the welding shop. They had it in storage for me because I didn't have anywhere safe to put the thing.

I'm going to try for another "marathon" this weekend if Hurricane Jean doesn't head this way, hooboy..... :wink2:

Kimberly Affleck
09-23-2004, 09:14 AM
Very nice work! To answer your question about speed, it really depends on the person. You said these were frit beads on the small size. Not knowing the exact size you are referring to, I would say that all of your clear spacers and frit beads could easily be done in one day with a Minor. Most of the larger beads could be done the same day. This is working an 8-10 hour day with breaks. The simpler beads (spacers, frit beads ) could be done more than one at a time on the mandrel, which can really speed things up.
I have a large fuse box, which I can fill up rather easily in one day, working on a Minor. This would be a combination of large focal, smaller accent beads and spacers.
The Minor would speed things up.

Here's what I did in 3 days, not straight through, but 7-8 hours each day, lol! I wouldn't be human if I could do this non-stop! :p :D

I did manage to eat and sleep, but everything else was cleaning beads, dipping mandrels, and setting up to do it all over again, you know what I mean! ;) Then the last couple of days I've been taking pictures, editing, uploading, writing descriptions ugh.....and have a LOT more of that to do today. Well, I did make this my "other part time job", but so far the fun hasn't gone out of it......yet! :wink2:

Oh, all this doesn't include the twenty-something "extras" (you know, the ones that don't quite match up), which I have in a baby food jar! And I have a question for HH users (and previous HH users too), is this a lot of beads for the time I put in?? I make mine on the small side and most are rather simple (like the frit beads), but I was wondering, is this good productivity for working on my kind of torch? Do you think I could make more in that period of time with a Minor? Just curious. :) (my new torches are still waiting on me :rolleyes: )

BeadBraker
09-23-2004, 09:25 AM
Ya, you could do more on a hotter torch, but WHO CARES?

Those beads are FABULOUS! So very well matched....you must have an "eye" for glass amounts.

congratulations on a very well done bead project!

Nancy B in IL

StefaniBeads
09-23-2004, 09:28 AM
You said these were frit beads on the small size.

Oh, I should have mentioned how little they are, since most of the beads I have bought from other beadmakers are quite a bit bigger than mine! Most of my beads range in sizes of 8-11mm, and the larger focal type beads are about 16-22mm. Every now and then you will see me making some sizes in-between.

I'm thinking that I will probably make bigger beads when I upgrade to the hotter torches. I got stuck on "little bitty", because they certainly are easier for me: 2 to 3 "wraps", melt that in, round out, roll in frit, melt, and done. I really don't have a lot of patience to make the bigger ones! :wink2:

Charlee
09-23-2004, 09:46 AM
Well whatever you're doing, it's working beautifully. I love the beads I got from you. :D

MistyCherie
09-23-2004, 10:00 AM
Wow! I think you had some very productive days on your HH! I use a HH too, and agree with Nancy and Kim--just because a hotter torch will melt the glass faster. I'm sure there will be a learning curve--but I bet you'll have no problems with it. Your beads are so wonderfully matched and beautifully done. I love the colors you use and the way you pair them with solid color spacers.

YUm yum!

*squish*

-M

Becky Mason
09-23-2004, 01:09 PM
Lisa - My opinion - Get yourself off that Hot Head girl! You will be amamzed at how much faster you are able to make beads on a surface-mix torch. When I went from a HH to a Bobcat, my production time was cut in half, especially for the larger focal beads.

I agree with Kimberly that when you go to a minor, you'll be able to make multiple small beads on a mandrel. When I make my spacers, I usually do 2-3 per mandrel, and it takes me literally 1-2 minutes per mandrel, and that includes winding on, rounding, putting the mandrel into the kiln and picking up another mandrel. If its speed you're looking for, you'll definitely get it by ditching the HH for a minor.

Becky

ritabead
09-23-2004, 01:10 PM
Lisa you are a crazy woman on that torch and I love you for it!!!! HHers unite!!!!

Alan Cross
09-23-2004, 01:34 PM
I think that you did great on your HH I usually do more stringer work but can do about 15 to 20 beads an hour working full speed....I can't do that for 7 or 8 hours without breaking myself lol.....my usual speed is 10 to 15 an hour and I don't do any frit beads only stringer work. If you saw my bead bugs I could do about 10 of those an hour.
Alan :)

CorvetteJuliet
09-23-2004, 02:26 PM
With a minor you can make about 2-6 beads in the same time as it takes on a HH. Stringer work isn't much faster, but plain old melting and shaping base beads are. So the simple frit beads will go a TON faster. I upgraded to a Minor about 6 weeks ago. It took about 10 hours of torch time to get adjusted to the minor from the hot head. I'm still working on stringer control on the minor, but I've just about got that nailed to my control ability on the HH. Maybe that took another 10 or 15 hours of practicing. During the practice time I was making useful beads. The key is to see the glass brightness and not let things get too drippy. I too make pretty small beads like you. On the Minor you can easily end up with a blob of glass on the work bench if you're not careful - especially with little beads! Oh and melting glass to pull stringer is soooooo nice on the minor. Melt, melt, cool and pull. Zip you've got a 2 foot long stringer! So much faster than the HH. It sure is a nice torch though. I'm loving mine! :)

Good luck with the hurricaines. The storm surges have been affecting us only in a minor way. We live on the water. Last weekend we had to cut power to the dock because it was submerged. Fortunately it didn't get high enough to get to te boat lift motors! We had to replace them last year after Isabelle because our dock, which is normally 3 feet above the water, was submerge under 5 feet of storm surge! ~Juliet

StefaniBeads
09-23-2004, 03:02 PM
Awww, thanks for the nice comments, everyone! :)

My studio area is almost cleared out and that stuff is moved into the storage unit that I'm renting. I got the unit to put things in because of the hurricanes, but now I'm glad that I have it to make more room in the house as well as the studio! :cool:

My electrician friend has been on a vacation RV'ing for the last month, but will be coming home next week. Then I can have him work on upgrading the fusebox into a breaker panel, and change the 240 to two 110's. I'll have plenty of power out there for everything plus a small a/c to cool it off a little. I can't wait to hook up all my new torch stuff!

Still haven't figured out what colors to paint the walls and cabinets, maybe something wild, huh? ;) :D

boobiebeads
09-23-2004, 03:16 PM
Your beads are very pretty and uniformed. I am on a HH as well and I have no complaints except the noise. I can make an average spacer in 1 minute and spacer with frit 2 minutes. I've got my 10x15mm tiger beads (attached pic) down to 4 minutes. It all depends on the artist however I make sure I only have a set # of mandrels dipped and ready to go so I have to take a break, usually just long enough to let the 2nd set dry. If I don't force myself I won't.

StefaniBeads
09-23-2004, 03:43 PM
I've got my 10x15mm tiger beads (attached pic) down to 4 minutes.

Wow, that's fast for that kind of beads! You really know how to use the heat! :) Over time and practice, I have learned how to make the bigger focals and not be so frustrated. I found that slower rotation in the flame melts them down faster. :cool:

boobiebeads
09-23-2004, 03:54 PM
I found the encasing taking forever for the tigers and they used to take me 6 minutes plus. I pulled a super fat stringer from the light amber and I am an encasing fool. That one step knocked off 2 minutes per bead for encasing. It took me awhile to figure that one out. Oh yeah and my tiger beads before were humungous!

Just little things have sped up my production. I take the extra time to create a larger gather on my rod instead of wrapping the beads twice for spacers. I found that has saved lots of time. I am also very careful when I wrap a bead, if it goes on perfect the shaping is minimal and lots of time is saved there.

Smedstad
09-23-2004, 04:26 PM
I haven't actually timed myself, but I think my average bead takes about 20 mintues. The really long ones (3 inches or longer) takes at least 30. If it's really complex - layered, who knows.

I did one of these marathon sessions over Labor Day weekend and came up with about 50 beads for my first show the following weekend. I had to take a day off of work to get all the beads made, cleaned, labeled and an inventory written.

Debbie

Moth
09-23-2004, 06:47 PM
Hi Lisa!!

What a beautiful bounty of beads. You have a great eye for matching sizes and patterns. :clap: :clap: I wish I could make that many beads in a stretch at least once. :) I don't normally care how many beads I make as long as I like what I end up with and I had a good time, but it sure would be fun to open the kiln up to a huge pile of beads every once in a while.

We make different styles of beads, but I am lucky to make 6 beads in 4 hours, which is usually about how long I work...so after 3 days I would only have 18 beads, but it would most likely be even less. I take a lot of breaks. LOL

Make a bead...take a break...make a bead...take a break.

~~Mary

JoyceMI
09-23-2004, 07:00 PM
but I am lucky to make 6 beads in 4 hours, which is usually about how long I work...so after 3 days I would only have 18 beads, but it would most likely be even less. I take a lot of breaks. LOL~~Mary

I've had torching sessions like that too Mary. Not all the time, but it depends on what I am making. The longest I spent on a bead was 2 hours! I couldn't believe it took me that long to make it the time did actually fly by. But it was a large encased floral heart. This thing was HUGE, ... it was leaning more towards a paper weight almost! LOL But I loved it and sold it and now almost wished I didn't. I didn't make my 2 hours worth in $$. ..... And I spent 2 hours on a floral encased vessel. Didn't get my 2 hours worth of $$ out of that one either!! ***sigh**** Now I will stick to smaller simpler encased florals that take only say 30 min or 45 min.

CharleneN
09-23-2004, 11:38 PM
Wow. You kicked butt!!

StefaniBeads
09-23-2004, 11:47 PM
I got the good news that they are "overstaffed" at work (yeah, right :wink2: ) and I could take a holiday - yippee!!! :clap:

My bad foot is swollen and sore anyway, so off to the porch for another 2 maybe three days of a beading marathon! ;) :D

bubbasjewels
09-24-2004, 08:23 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

WOW!! Love the colors :) Personally, speaking as a jewelry person, I prefer the smaller beadies for my stuff. I like mixing and matching lampwork with furnace glass/cane and other small items so the smaller beads are perfect!

chevy1659
09-25-2004, 07:50 PM
Beauty Beads!! :clap: