PDA

View Full Version : S & T Thursday Sept 23rd

LadyArowana
09-23-2004, 07:55 AM
I got pix of my opal glass necklace to share, it was very sulky about showing its colours to the camera, but this was the best of them. I first saw a necklace of this type in a very "beautiful and expensive" shop and I was SO tempted, but knew it was way overpriced. Later on in my trip I found these, I had to cut the original wire, upgrade the spacers and re string, but still saved quite a bit ! Love this glass, it looks so nice in the sunshine. I have earrings, but they also need "work". Fiona

toozygoot
09-23-2004, 08:07 AM
Oh Fiona! Those must really glow in the light! I love opals!

pat

Gingerbiscuit
09-23-2004, 08:15 AM
I got pix of my opal glass necklace to share, it was very sulky about showing its colours to the camera, but this was the best of them. I first saw a necklace of this type in a very "beautiful and expensive" shop and I was SO tempted, but knew it was way overpriced. Later on in my trip I found these, I had to cut the original wire, upgrade the spacers and re string, but still saved quite a bit ! Love this glass, it looks so nice in the sunshine. I have earrings, but they also need "work". Fiona

Beautiful Fiona! I love opalised glass but I have only ever managed to find nuggets. These beads are gorgeous! I love the way opalised glass picks up whatever colour you are wearing. :)

beclectic
09-23-2004, 08:17 AM
Very beautiful Fiona. I love anything opal or opal like (lets hear it for hydrated silicates :clap: ). I'll have to keep an eye out for that glass, I don't think I've ever seen it before. Your picture really is good to show the colors like that.

Andee
09-23-2004, 08:30 AM
Fiona - it's beautiful! Very elegant, it really glows, I love it! :clap:

carebear
09-23-2004, 08:35 AM
gorgeous fiona! those opals just "glow" don't they?

here's two more bracelets in purple or red for the weekend...first one is crystal cubes and swarovski bicones, second is fossil purple beads and crystal rondelles...tonight will be my last chance to finish up any purple/red jewelry before the red hat lady convention starts tomorrow....then I can move onto different colors! yeah!

have a great day!

carrie

Oskadis
09-23-2004, 09:01 AM
Fiona that glass is beautiful. I am a drop-fanatic :evil:

Carrie, the first bracelet is gorgeous - those beadies are so beautiful. The other one is nice too - but I really prefer the first :wink2:

Here are my goodies.

Headpiece in silver plated brass and with czech glass and rhinestones.

Slave bracelet was a custom order. Czech glass beads and silver ox plated chainmaille.

More eye candy please! :)

Why is it messing up the order of my attachments??

McDuck
09-23-2004, 09:32 AM
Fiona, just lovely! I can see it whirling with color as i love opals too!

Carrie, when is this red hat society event? If they dont buy you out they are fools I tell you.Great job!

Karen - I just love that headpiece. So soft and impressive looking. the soft silver and light blue work well together. The hand piece is nice too, but the head piece does it for me :clap:

-going to check my kiln
Mary

Andee
09-23-2004, 09:56 AM
Carrie - nice pieces, especially the top one, the beads look really interesting!

Karen - yummy! But erm, it took me a while to figure out that the top pic shows your hand... Blame it on my cold! :D

I didn't think I would have anything to show today, but there you go: double strand necklace with FW pearls and glass:

McDuck
09-23-2004, 10:36 AM
Andee- are they green? very elegant!

Here you go, from my kiln...black & amber starfish
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2004/18183-blackamberstarfishsmallWC.jpg

small ~3" dragonfly pendant...notice two holes drilled into wings for hanging...AND I forgot his eyes, now how did I do that :rolleyes:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2004/18183-DragonflySmallpersianBlueWC.jpg

more butterflies...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2004/18183-ButterfliesmoreWC2.jpg

Reptilian Froggy...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2004/18183-FrogReptilianSkin1WC.jpg

Flutterby - Agate...notice holes drilled into wings for hanging...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2004/18183-FlutterbyagateWC.jpg

more out of the kiln later this morning.

Mary

Oskadis
09-23-2004, 10:41 AM
I will wait patiently for the rest of your kiln contents, Mary. *DROOL* :clap:

Andee your pearls always look so classy!

McDuck
09-23-2004, 10:46 AM
I will wait patiently for the rest of your kiln contents, Mary. *DROOL* :clap:

Andee your pearls always look so classy!

karen - you are FAR more patient than I!

McDuck
09-23-2004, 12:42 PM
Okay this is it for now...
Black Ceramic with Glass Frit Gecko...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2004/18183-GeckoBlackGlassWC.jpg

Persian Blue Monsoon Dragonfly...this guy has holes in the wings to be a pendant he is about 3" long
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2004/18183-DragonflySmallpersianBlueWC.jpg

Black ceramic and glass frit disks for special order...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2004/18183-BlackglassdiskspecorderWC.jpg

another reptilian spotted gekco I call Pox Too LOL..
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2004/18183-GeckoReptilespotsWC.jpg

back to work with me,
Mary

Andee
09-23-2004, 01:29 PM
Mary - another bunch of pretties! I love the "lonely" butterfly, the starfish and the disc beads - great stuff!! Oh, and the top gecko from the 2nd posting, it's snuggable!! :) And yup, the rice shaped pearls are green (slightly peacock lustre).

Karen - merci! :)

CarolinaGal
09-23-2004, 03:52 PM
Mary - I really like the black gecko and the black beads w/frit. I love the way the frit looks like lichen.

Well I finally have something to post. This is the first jewelry I've done in about 25 years. Sassybird probably has some of the last necklaces I did back then. This was for a friend for her birthday and is suppose to invoke the surf at the shoreline.

I'm sure I won't be the most prolific in posting or jewelry making - but I do check out this thread everyday. Be kind.

Georgia

beclectic
09-23-2004, 04:40 PM
Georgia - I'm glad to know you are here. Your bracelet is very sea like in color and has the randomness of the ocean. I think you have captured the changing sea feel well.

Yesterday I posted my uncooked polyclay beads. Today they have been cooked but still need sanding and finishing. The pearl clay that is underneath the chrysanthimum cane layer is just starting to show through the translucent areas.

michali
09-23-2004, 06:53 PM
Great work everybody.
Barbara- I really like your polymer clay beads. I wish I could do a similar design in glass...
It has been a long time since I last posted. Here a couple of mine: My friend, Zahra made the silver-work.
Have a great day.

McDuck
09-23-2004, 08:28 PM
Barbara - they just keep getting better! keep up the stepbystep pics for us.

Michali - very lovely bracelet nad the silver work is wonderful!!
-Mary

beclectic
09-23-2004, 09:23 PM
Great work everybody.
Barbara- I really like your polymer clay beads. I wish I could do a similar design in glass...
It has been a long time since I last posted. Here a couple of mine: My friend, Zahra made the silver-work.
Have a great day.

michali, glad you dropped by to show us your friend's and your work. The silver work is nice and compliments your bead well. The blue seed bead rope piece with your blue dotted lampwork is really very good. I like the design, the center bead display is a little unusual and therefore really catches the attention.

I think a person could make a chrysanthimum cane in glass but it would be a lot harder than doing it in clay. You would probably need a hot glass shop, it couldn't be done with lampworking I don't think. Of course one of the really advanced lampworkers has probably already done it but I sure don't know how.

Mary - thanks for the encouragement and michali for the compliment. Once I get them sanded with the 400 grit and then the 800 grit I'll post them again before the final shiney coat.

Patricia'sglass
09-23-2004, 10:46 PM
Wonderful S&T as always!! Mary, I love your colors - they are so fallish. I am ready for fall. Here's another wrapped bracelet done in copper with lampwork beads I made.

McDuck
09-23-2004, 10:55 PM
Patty that is very fallish! Love the copper too! woohoo copper :D

Mary

McDuck
09-23-2004, 11:14 PM
Mary - I really like the black gecko and the black beads w/frit. I love the way the frit looks like lichen.

Well I finally have something to post. This is the first jewelry I've done in about 25 years. Sassybird probably has some of the last necklaces I did back then. This was for a friend for her birthday and is suppose to invoke the surf at the shoreline.

I'm sure I won't be the most prolific in posting or jewelry making - but I do check out this thread everyday. Be kind.

Georgia

Hello Georgia! Some how I missed you :eek: i just love the colors in this bracelet of yours and how you made it weave in and out. Thank you for the compliments on my lichens. I just love em too!

-Mary

Juls
09-24-2004, 12:31 AM
Fiona, your opalite necklace is lovely...Opal is my favorite of all the stones and I can just imagine how wonderful this looks when worn.

Carrie, your Red hat pieces are fun and sure to get attention!

Karen, that slave bracelet is TDF! Your chainlink wire work is amazing!

Andee, another LOVELY creation. I think I might start calling you "Oyster" because of the beautiful pearl work you create!

Mary, Your kiln wake up calls are a highlight of my day! the frog and gecko are my favs...but still love that butterfly face the best!

Georgia, your bracelet rocks! I love peices created with different elements, shapes, and colors. Very nicely done!

Barbara! I have clay envy! Those are spectacular! (wish I could get my hotglass to do that, I'd beg permission to copy those particulars exactly for my own wearing pleasure!)

Michali, your beads are wonderful, as are the designs showcasing them!

Patty, I'd visit 100 forums for a peek at your bangles. awesome stuff!

Just for the sake of contributing something, here is a really over the top simple choker from me in multistrand leather cord with ss findings and a faceted onyx focal.

Love these S&T...great one today!
hugs~
~Juls

beadyeyedgirls
09-24-2004, 02:21 AM
barbara--those clay beads are beauties! is the design from the georgia sargeant/celie fago book? great book...i bought it in part b/c i wanna make those very beads!!!

michali--really really cool piece--love that silver.

patty--love the colors & the lampwork is so nice & swirly!

mary--one of these days i'm going to give in to temptation & order one of those froggies from you.

nice work as always, everyone!!! :clap:

michali
09-24-2004, 03:10 AM
Thank you all so much for your compliments. It means a lot to me. :)

Andee
09-24-2004, 05:57 AM
Georgia - lovely bracelet, I love those colours!

Barbara - your pc beads look even better now! I'm sure they will be dazzling once you're finished!

Michali - great work, especially that silver piece is stunning!

Patty - wow, that's gorgeous! The copper and the beads go so well together! I'd steal it off your wrist in a heartbeat!

Juls - Oyster, huh? ;) Your choker is great, perfect in its simplicity!!

beclectic
09-24-2004, 10:35 AM
Just thought I'd let everyone that has asked about the how-to of the polyclay Chrysanthemum Cane beads that I used the tutorial link posted in our Jewelry Links thread called 'Polymer Clay - Making a Chrysanthemum Cane' (http://geocities.com/polyzine/december2000/chrysanthemum.html). This leads to a site with instructions called 'The Translucent Chrysanthemum Cane' by Elissa Powell. Perhaps these instructions could be addapted to glass in a hot shop.

There are many instructions online for creating all kinds of effects with polymer clay.

Thanks for all the compliments. :)