PDA

View Full Version : A funny must read raku rods story

Sassyglassgal
09-23-2004, 12:11 AM
:p Well, after much looking around for the ever elusive raku frit, and vals page just keeps putting you off, so I couldn't find any anywhere, when I came across a source, I thought I purchased it on line, but come to find out I filled everything out, all my info, but forgot to put visa info in, so I got a phone call from this guy........ we were discussing size of frit etc, and I said I wanted big chunks so I could pull stringer.....and he said oh we have rods in R108 iris orange and I yelped....RODS you say..... and he said YEAH. Well I said I want a kilo's worth and could I do that and he said, YEAH. Well I couldn't believe what I was hearing so I said go ahead and I'll get it, well I kept waiting for it and it comes and I think....hmmm this is pretty heavy. Well I pull out this great big 2 1/2" in diameter long rod that is 18" long, and I'm thinking....wellll dang.................. and is it heavy. so here I am thinking I've got the coolest thing since sliced cheese, I'll have rods to use, you know what I mean like our moretti 6mm rods, what a surprise. Now I have to take a hammer and chunk up my own frit, which by the way I will never need raku again in my lifetime. so the moral of this story............be careful what you wish for and don't be such a gullible ninny. Hee Hee. I'll add a pic of the rod, so you can see the enormous length of it, almost phallic really....oops did I say that out loud. :evil: :evil: :D

MegannsMom
09-23-2004, 12:26 AM
18 inches is PHALLIC to you?! LUCKY!! :evil: :wink2:

~Cindy

SilverReflections
09-23-2004, 12:31 AM

~Cindy

Ouch! LOL,couldn't resist

I want one of those rods just to put out and look at! If only I could be guaranteed a nice pretty one on the outside - and yes I'm talking about glass!

Tina

MegannsMom
09-23-2004, 12:49 AM

I want one of those rods just to put out and look at! If only I could be guaranteed a nice pretty one on the outside - and yes I'm talking about glass!

Tina

Tee hee....geez it's late and that is way to funny to me right now! "a nice pretty one...." hee hee hee hee....giggle giggle snort snort

~Cindy

Josie
09-23-2004, 02:54 AM

~Cindy

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tracey

StefaniBeads
09-23-2004, 08:49 AM

~Cindy

ROFLMAO!! :eek: :evil: :D

xoticbead
09-23-2004, 10:02 AM
Debbie
Don't feel bad when I was a really rank newbie( even before there was a WC,) I ordered 7 colors and was really surprised when I opend the box and found 7 huge rods of White, Ruby, (that one cost a mint) amber, two greens and an amethyst, and a Ocher. Still have a huge supply. It's even hard to chunck up using a hammer but i've used some of it. I don't think we are the only ones that have found out by mistake that there really is a different sizes of "rods"
Liz

bubbasjewels
09-23-2004, 10:43 AM

boheme'
09-23-2004, 12:32 PM

Tina

OMG :) :evil: Geesh - now I will always look at my glass funny. :D

Tina - I called them and asked them to send me a pretty one with lots of swirls and well they did. :clap: They are wonderful folks and I really appreciate it. I was gonna use it as a display. But :evil: tonight I'm gonna try and make a big enough rod to make me a set of these loverles with a gaffer black base, the rest raku.

Deb Cline

boobiebeads
09-23-2004, 03:24 PM
I ordered my rod yesterday. I am so excited to get it. I warned my DH how big it is going to be as he will be doing the smashing. Actually I am going to heat it in the kiln and then shock it. He can do the smashing after that.

Becky Mason
09-23-2004, 04:07 PM
I am sitting here laughing at all of this because I ALMOST made the same mistake. That is one "purty fat rod" you got here. I kind of thought the same thing as Cindy though. 18"??? What locker rooms are you hanging out in?

Becky

Smedstad
09-23-2004, 04:12 PM
Debbie,

Save yourself some effort and put the rod into the kiln and then drop it into a pan of ice water. It will break up a alot easier that way, although there will still be some effort involved in breaking it into the various sizes of frit and chunks that you want.

Debbie

koregon
09-23-2004, 04:32 PM
:p Well, after much looking around for the ever elusive raku frit, and vals page just keeps putting you off, so I couldn't find any anywhere, when I came across a source, I thought I purchased it on line, but come to find out I filled everything out, all my info, but forgot to put visa info in, so I got a phone call from this guy........ we were discussing size of frit etc, and I said I wanted big chunks so I could pull stringer.....and he said oh we have rods in R108 iris orange and I yelped....RODS you say..... and he said YEAH. Well I said I want a kilo's worth and could I do that and he said, YEAH. Well I couldn't believe what I was hearing so I said go ahead and I'll get it, well I kept waiting for it and it comes and I think....hmmm this is pretty heavy. Well I pull out this great big 2 1/2" in diameter long rod that is 18" long, and I'm thinking....wellll dang.................. and is it heavy. so here I am thinking I've got the coolest thing since sliced cheese, I'll have rods to use, you know what I mean like our moretti 6mm rods, what a surprise. Now I have to take a hammer and chunk up my own frit, which by the way I will never need raku again in my lifetime. so the moral of this story............be careful what you wish for and don't be such a gullible ninny. Hee Hee. I'll add a pic of the rod, so you can see the enormous length of it, almost phallic really....oops did I say that out loud. :evil: :evil: :D

wow 2-1/2" diameter is huge...hope you can heat it and get it cracked up easy enough...I bought one...two actually and both were 1" diameter and 14" in length...
sounds like your's must of weighed at least 2 kilo's being that large.
or you've got yourself a fish story...and even thou ...indeed its huge...the dimentions grew with the excitement :D

nicker
09-23-2004, 04:56 PM
OMG it is HUGE but I want one of 1/2 of one or something. Who did you order it from? If you don't mind me asking was the shipping astronimical?

CharleneN
09-23-2004, 04:59 PM

~Cindy
LMAO :evil: :evil: :evil:

Moth
09-23-2004, 06:38 PM
Phallic??? That little 'ol thang? :wink2:

~~Mary

chocolatier
09-23-2004, 08:42 PM
Too funny. Wouldn't it be great if those manufacturers starting making 6mm rods! I got a bunch of raku 108 frit in all sizes from Olympic. Great service, without worrying about timing and then being totally disgusted when stuff is gone in a matter of seconds. Besides, the price is great and especially if one is going to use a lot of a specific color. You can order as little as 1/2 kilo (about a pound). I ordered mine online, but got a call from a very charming fellow who was so helpful about other colors, that I ordered more. Just thrilled with these folks. And there's no minimum other than the 1/2 kilo.

Enjoy your "rod".....

Linda G.

www.vermontchocolate.com

Sassyglassgal
09-23-2004, 10:46 PM
The rod cost 24.95 but with the shipping it was like 38.00 something or other, I thought he was sending me a bunch of raku rods, so the shipping amount didn't phase me, but the big rod sure DID!!! lol :p Hee hee, now if I can only remember where I got it, lets see here........ www.glasscolor.com this is Olympic glass and they have R108. Good luck everyone.

nicker
09-23-2004, 10:55 PM
Crap! I just cannot justify over 50.00 for one rod! I would love to have one though. Just too look at it the colors are so pretty :D maybe someday we'll go down there and I can pick one up!

glassyeyed
09-24-2004, 08:42 AM
...the dimentions grew with the excitement :D

Oh my gosh, Kaye! I snorted coffee out my nose. You are sooooooo bad.

!ngridh
09-24-2004, 09:22 AM
Now you know what I mean about going TO Olympic Color Rod and actually picking them up and fondling them!!!!!!! oh my! The one's that I have seen were about 10 inches long..... :D and 1.25 inches in diameter...I knew there was something that I loved about GLASS!

glassfreek
09-24-2004, 11:30 AM
you gals are to funny.as a glass blower and going to Olympic to pick my color out all the time you guys are SCARING ME.Reichenbach makes small rod also they call them sticks,want to know where to get them?????

Mike

nicker
09-24-2004, 12:20 PM
I do I wanna know! I'd love Raku by the rod...stick.

Kimberly Affleck
09-24-2004, 12:40 PM
Crap! I just cannot justify over 50.00 for one rod! I would love to have one though. Just too look at it the colors are so pretty :D maybe someday we'll go down there and I can pick one up!

You don't have to buy the whole rod. They can just whack off a chunk for you. I do this all of the time. It is worth a trip to Olympic Color Rod just to see their glass art collection. Beautiful!
Kimberly

littlecrow1
09-24-2004, 04:38 PM
:eek: 18" :eek: ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

Sassyglassgal
09-24-2004, 07:03 PM
yes, sadly my mind ran away with me, but Mike I have to say I am not the only one who had these :evil: thoughts, my husband was carrying on as well, pretty darn funny.....I will not go into exactly what he said or the mascinations he was acting out either :evil: I'm innocent until proven guilty. hee hee. Yes....now that I have said all this, where are....the sticks......????

Lara
09-24-2004, 08:26 PM
Reichenbach makes small rod also they call them sticks,want to know where to get them?????

Mike

Yes I want to know.

I went to Olympic Color Rod this week and bought a lot of frit and some chucks of rod. They were very busy and said they have tons of back orders from the R 108 that they are trying very hard to fill. They had gotten in the order of the 108 the day before and were almost out again. I bought one of the last bags of the size 4 frit. It sure is pretty in rod form, lots of swirls of purple, sage.

Lara

mackro
09-25-2004, 12:57 AM
Well, it looks like I'm not the only one to have done this. i was sooo excited when I found Olympic a couple of months ago. I ordered purple because I have wanted a great purple. Had no idea it would be so huge. Now I have enough purple to last forever.

I guess that is what they call the learning curve.

- Mack

amayita
09-25-2004, 09:51 AM
Hmmmmm...... you know if you werent a lampworker and were lurking in our forum this thread is almost R rated! LOL after all this, all that is sticking in my head is..... phalic, dimentions grew with excitement, whack off, fondling rods, a whole bunch of measurements! You guys are NAUGHTY! I LOVE IT! lol :evil:

MegannsMom
09-26-2004, 09:17 AM
Ok, did I miss it? I have read, and re-read, and don't see where Mike finally told us where to get the sticks!

MIKE.......YOO-HOOOOO..............YO, MIKE!!! You out there?!

WE NEED TO KNOW!!!!!

~Cindy

glassyeyed
09-30-2004, 03:58 PM
Pardon my ingnorance, but is the Raku frit that everyone is raving about actually Reichenbach Iris Orange? Sorry if I sound like a dolt, but I have not purchased this before....

laughing glass beads
09-30-2004, 05:28 PM
you gals are to funny.as a glass blower and going to Olympic to pick my color out all the time you guys are SCARING ME. Reichenbach makes small rod also they call them sticks,want to know where to get them????? Mike

Ok, spill...........we are all tapping our fingers. I don't want to go thru a 2nd or 3rd party. I can buy my own, and get much more for my money, too, I am sure. A friend just got a kilo of R108 for $30. Which is 35.27396 oz. So, take that times $3-$5 oz, there is some money being made...........and you are paying shipping on that little bit! CC

bjcohan
09-30-2004, 07:45 PM
Pardon my ingnorance, but is the Raku frit that everyone is raving about actually Reichenbach Iris Orange? Sorry if I sound like a dolt, but I have not purchased this before....

Yup. That's it. R-108. The stuff that dreams are made of.

If you do a search through the showcase and probably the technical forum, look for R-108 or RAKU and you'll see whole threads of the yummy beads folks are making with this glass.

And a big thanks goes out to our Val. Remember, everybody, that while we're all jumping on the bandwagon and buying tons of this stuff at bargain-basement prices, Val is the one who has been buying tons of frit in all colors and testing them so she can lead all of us to the good ones ... and the great ones. I'm sure she has quite a stash -- an expensive stash -- of colors that sounded promising but didn't do much of anything to make them worth selling. In glass as in life, sometimes you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find a prince!!! Had she not discovered R-108's marvelous properties for beadmakers, those gorgeous rods would still be gathering dust on Olympic's shelves.

Thanks, Val, for expanding our palettes, making our work more beautiful, and creating a whole generation of frit junkies!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Barb:cat:

!ngridh
10-01-2004, 12:51 AM
Here we go again...I have to hit the showers!

Jelveh
10-01-2004, 01:05 AM
Hi Folks, I just got an order of Gaffer glass in the mail, all these huge rods, the guys called and told me what I ordered were huge, so I am going to Santa Cruz Art Glass next week and we are going to pull our own gaffer rods from my big rods, bigger than 2 1/2 inches round using the glory hole and huge punties, if I get a chance I will take photos...I am really excited...and yes I did think I was ordering smaller rods, until they called and told me otherwise... :D

ValorieCox
10-01-2004, 02:29 AM
And a big thanks goes out to our Val. Remember, everybody, that while we're all jumping on the bandwagon and buying tons of this stuff at bargain-basement prices, Val is the one who has been buying tons of frit in all colors and testing them so she can lead all of us to the good ones ... and the great ones. I'm sure she has quite a stash -- an expensive stash -- of colors that sounded promising but didn't do much of anything to make them worth selling. In glass as in life, sometimes you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find a prince!!! Had she not discovered R-108's marvelous properties for beadmakers, those gorgeous rods would still be gathering dust on Olympic's shelves.

thank you Barb for the acknowledgment, it makes going forward and continuing to test from this very wide palette a bit less daunting, and makes me feel not nearly so badly this past year and a half about so much wasted glass/money, in order to find those colors that work in the torch.

Jelvah, have fun this weekend, and take photos! Val

isle-of-cats
10-01-2004, 03:53 AM
<snip>

Thanks, Val, for expanding our palettes, making our work more beautiful, and creating a whole generation of frit junkies!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Barb:cat:

HERE HERE!!!!! :clap: :D :clap: :D :clap:

Jelveh
10-01-2004, 11:47 AM
[QUOTE=Jelvah, have fun this weekend, and take photos! Val[/QUOTE]

Hey Val, we shall see what not being patient and waiting for your next batch will get me...as it is now, I have to say, I should have just waited like a good girl...but no, I had to go spend lots of money on lots of glass I can not use right away and then I have to go spend lots of time, which again, amounts to lots of money, pulling glass rods...on the one hand I think it will be fun and a good way to learn more about glass in general, on the other hand, I think I should have just waited for your next batch...thanks for doing all the hard work for us... :D Jelveh...

laughing glass beads
10-01-2004, 12:31 PM
Here we go again...I have to hit the showers!

I guess I am being targeted again. This is common on WC! these days. (As well as totally acceptable! or so it appears) I didn't mean anything, Val, I apologize if it was misconstrued as that.

Tiptoe-ing thru the eggshells back into the corner, looking for the opening to the bunker. Tugging on my asbestos underwear, and muttering to myself. CC

nivedita
10-01-2004, 12:39 PM
Well, i have always heard, anything longer than it is wide.......is plenty..tho that is one impressive piece of glass.When i first started with glass i was living up in the mountains above the bay here during a long cold wet winter..i had been given some 2" diameter boro rods, and , in my solitude was teaching myself flameworking in a welding torcc...which i still also use...i set one end of the rod on the top of my woodstove till it became pretty hot, then used a pair of pliers to hold the preheated rod in the torch to pull usable sized stringers..putting the stringers on the stove top to keep them hot longer. I do not know if this technique would work with the raku rod...i would deeply appreciate if any one knows where i could get some raku frit? I have just stsssssarted visiting this site What Fun !! looking forward to more fun....nivee

CarlaAlexander
10-01-2004, 01:00 PM
I had noticed the same thing. I found something I wanted the other day that was $8 for two oz. ($64/lb) NO WAY am I paying that. And let me qualify it wasn't on Val's site it was on antoher frit site. There is NO WAY I am paying markup like that. AND as to the testing, while we all appreciate it not everything that comes throguh the testing is worth a hoot to me. I have had plenty of colors that I have put aside never to be touched again. I believe what caused people to start looking for the iris orange is the fact that a lot of people couldn't get ahold of the product to start with. That is what was behind people figuring out the true markup.

laughing glass beads
10-01-2004, 01:12 PM
Yes, I was not targeting Val in particular, not even really targeting anybody. But I want to clarify. Just in case. Never hurts. CC