PDA

View Full Version : The Seed Gatherer

it'sALLart
09-22-2004, 07:30 PM
12.5 x 19.5.... acrylic on (yikes!) vellum with some colored pencil on top.

This started out to be a primitive, then got kinda designy and then went really commerical illustration on me. old habits die hard. but i kinda like it anyway.

I was trying to portray the role that some of us play when we gather seeds for the following years' garden... it's really a rather honored position in nature, I think and I wanted to make it somewhat mythological.

C&C, please.

Lulu
09-23-2004, 12:14 AM
I really like this. And yes, as gardeners here, it is an honoured position, something we take for granted.
How did you find working c p over acrylic?

sassybird
09-23-2004, 12:24 AM
I like this too. It has some great design aspects to it.

it'sALLart
09-24-2004, 12:20 AM
I really like this. And yes, as gardeners here, it is an honoured position, something we take for granted.
How did you find working c p over acrylic?

It works great, lulu... some colors are better than others, but if you keep the acrylics pretty flat it's no big deal. If you find them sliding instead of laying down pigment, you can apply a workable fixative to them. I work really thin with paint, so that might help.

The thing I like about them is how they add a texture along with a much more intense color since there's no absorbtion or show thru... I even use them on canvas for line work sometimes.

Thanks Lulu and Sassy for checking this out and the compliments!

mooz49
09-24-2004, 03:25 AM
It certainly is mythological ...... he reminds me on Finn McCool! :clap: :clap:

ExpressiveAngie
09-24-2004, 06:39 AM
It reminds me of a tarot card. Old world but done in todays world, am I making sense, lol :D

:clap:

minov
09-24-2004, 01:58 PM
12.5 x 19.5.... acrylic on (yikes!) vellum with some colored pencil on top.

I was trying to portray the role that some of us play when we gather seeds for the following years' garden... it's really a rather honored position in nature, I think and I wanted to make it somewhat mythological.

so do you think the vellum gave it some of the glow? it's really wonderful, could well be an illustration for a seed catalog.....

seed gathering might soon be a thing of the past, if big business has it's way. Have you read "The Botany of Desire" (wait while i go to Amazon for the author) by Michael Pollan....very interesting read on this subject!

it'sALLart
09-24-2004, 02:26 PM
mooz, thanks, i went and looked at a couple of other pics of him, you're right, one was a dead ringer!

pastelmama, now that you say that, yes, it has that feel...thanks!

minov, i'm going to have to go and get that book now, you've hit a nerve. I did this on chartruese green vellum, and yes, it tried to roll up and shrink and do all kinds of stuff while it dried. I used an iron and good ol' fashioned table edges to smooth it back out. I had to use industrial shipping tape on the edges while I was painting. not the best surface to paint, i would advise against it. but that green was calling me.

I gather seeds every year, all thru the year from everything i grow and also (hee hee) I steal them from shopping centers and anywhere I see them, especially if they look like something exotic or different. I got the best red zinnias I've ever grown last fall from a Burger King drive thru garden and this year I'll have tons of seeds. Only problem is when they do something wierd, like radiate the plants to make them dwarf or something else, because you end up with either sterile plants and no flowers or fruit or something equally bizaare, like Coneflowers with no petals... However, I got some incredible Thalictrum from stealing seeds from the Art Museum grounds... I wasnt even sure what they were, since they were already dead. Boy was I in for a great surprise, these great purple leaves and multi-floret deep purple flowers. Now I have tons of them. I also got a bunch of pods from a dried up sweet pea plant on a fence near a barn. Had no idea what color. the next year, I had tons of extremely fragrant pinks and whites all over my fence, making the whole yard a great experience.

seeds are really something magical.

Charlie's Mum
09-24-2004, 02:45 PM
Ahh! It's good to hear another gardener with passion in his soul! :)
I like the painting too - very topical. It's like some of the Art Cards in a currently running project
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_details&proj_id=728

I hope I've done this right........having just lost this reply, I think maybe I should find and copy the link first........if any of the comp. gurus are out there, a lesson on putting links into posts would find an eager student here!!!!!!!!! :confused: :D

Well, the link works.....but how could I put in more than one as other people seem to manage! :confused: :o :eek: :)