PDA

View Full Version : Then & Now

Stoy Jones
09-22-2004, 11:28 AM
It has been one month shy of a whole year that I have worked with Gifford Nicholaides in his portrait workshop. I originally took his class not knowing what I want to do, but I thought the experience of working from a live model would be helpful in picking up new skills and it certainly has been interesting!

Last week, I have received news of his impending move from this area seeking more opportunities in New Mexico, so I must be moving on to other things as well. I have started working in oils and currently realizing I'm having a great time with a bowl of lemons :D ....for a subject, that is.

The first pic is of Clara which was my very first piece in soft pastel sticks in the workshop and the second is of Ashley in her bridal dress and was done last week in pastel pencils, both 18x24. I can see a major improvement when there is guidance from him and you marvelous people here in pastel forum!! :clap: ...You know who you are ;) and which I'm very grateful for. There is much more work left for me to do and I'll be marking my progress with my oils with my current instructor Mrs. Pat Hopkins by this time next year to see where I'm going.

I can't guarantee the quality of my current pic in terms of how it appears on the monitor. I moved recently and my livingroom is flooded with light which washes things out on my screen and yet to remedy the position of my cp. As always, critique away! I love to hear your thoughts and tips.

Thanks!
Stoy

khourianya
09-22-2004, 11:59 AM
Wow! You have come a long way in a year! You should be very proud of yourself!

Dark_Shades
09-22-2004, 12:21 PM
Hello Stoy, lovely to see you posting in here again....... well the picture paints a thousand words, doesnt it :) ..... and for each one you posted in that year, you could easily see the progression, leaps and bounds you made....... look forward to taking the journey forward this year with you..... and see what else you will astound us with......

you go from strength to strength

SweetBabyJ
09-22-2004, 12:45 PM
Such strong, steady growth, Stoy- your touch is so much more sure, and your over-all rendering becoming more and more accurate. Congratulations. Hope the new instructor keeps you on this path of vigorous growth.

Kathryn Wilson
09-22-2004, 01:58 PM
Stoy - how wonderful to see you on the forum again! I remember when you first posted here and all the subsequent learning - you have grown so much in your work! We are proud of you! :clap:

Mikki Petersen
09-22-2004, 02:49 PM
Lucky you...on the brink of the next step in the journey, you have these two pround works to show for the learning of the past year. Bravo!

Paula Ford
09-22-2004, 02:55 PM
Hi Stoy :wave:

Your work just gets better and better and anyone can see the definate growth in your skills!!

So nice to see you again Stoy. Soon we'll be neighbors. Will be moving to the Tri-City, TN area soon. How about we get together and paint some time?

Paula

Stoy Jones
09-22-2004, 03:23 PM
Cori, thankyou! :)

Dawn, thanks for looking! Glad to have something to share, been very busy and looking forward to getting slowed down and settled..lol :rolleyes: :)

SBJ, I have had one session with Pat and really like the class, so looking forward to picking up a lot from her! Thanks!

Kyle, it seems like ages...always miss the informative, talented, and friendly folk here. I credit what I have learned of color so far, just by being here. A big thanks!

Mikki, this seems like a big step..Looking forward to what may happen next. Thanks for the bravo!

Hey Paula, :wave: That sounds great! I would be delighted to tackle some scenery with you....what a treat that would be! There's plenty of that around here, mills and old barns, not to mention the mountains and rivers, so you won't ever run out of subjects. I have portable painting equipment, so can go and setup anywhere. Glad to hear from you and stay intouch.

Stoy

Dyin
09-22-2004, 03:25 PM
Stoy...you've always know how I've felt about your potential :) There's been a huge amount of growth in this past year. What I am happiest about is that you understand that you can mix the caricature part of your old cartooning style with the realism of the human face. So you give each piece it's own unique 'Stoy' styling and still manage to make us 'feel' the subject. The eyes in this 'bride' really tell a story of excitement, trepidation, hope and fear and wow...that's a lot for a pair of painted eyes to show! Your work has a very lovely illustrative style that really appeals. Unward and upwards for you! :clap:

Stoy Jones
09-22-2004, 11:58 PM
Hi there Dyin! Thanks for your past critiques and encouragements! Always a big help to me and very much appreciated. :)

Stoy

llanpe
09-23-2004, 12:50 AM
Stoy we are very proud of you, not only in the Drawing forum. Your improvement in pastel is oustanding and a real inspiration. Good luck in your new classes.
Peter

prestonsega
09-23-2004, 12:59 AM
Stoy...so good to see you again ...following your growth so far has been an wonderful journey...I'm looking forward to continuing the path with you.

stonewhiteclown
09-23-2004, 01:03 AM
Hi Stoy! Your talent was always there and good for you to seek the improvements all the time. You always sound all excitement about your classes but there must be ups and downs for anyone. So have a pat on the back from me for sticking to it! And come back often :wave:

Stoy Jones
09-23-2004, 03:43 PM
Peter and Preston, many thanks to you guys!

You always sound all excitement about your classes but there must be ups and downs for anyone.

Hey Alex, most definitely! I have experienced plenty of failures and doubts along the way as we all do...some I don't think I can pull out of, but the path is too irresistable to ignore for too long..isn't it? :D Thank goodness for that! It is still a learning process to keep moving. Thanks for stopping in!

Stoy

meowmeow
09-23-2004, 07:20 PM
Great to see you Stoy! I've missed seeing you around here.
I knew you had made terreific progress but seeing the two pieces side by side is amazing...I know you are pleased with your progress, and well you should be. You have worked hard and learned so much...I hope things continue to go as well for you.

Sandy

E-J
09-24-2004, 04:40 PM
(((Bunny))) :D ;)

Your portraits/figures have ALWAYS looked good to me! but the side-by-side really shows how effective your modelling has become in your recent pastels. You have studied hard and it shows. I can't help wishing we weren't losing you to oils because you have been such an enthusiastic and encouraging presence in this forum, not to mention a real gent :) but you should follow whatever path you are moved to take in your artistic journey, and I'm sure we'll be witnessing the same delicacy and patient observation in your oils that I've so admired in your pastels. OK, enough waffle. Nice one Stoy :)

Khadres
09-24-2004, 06:21 PM
Very inspiring progress, Stoy! You've only to keep those two pictures in view to convince yourself that you ARE gaining more and more expertise. Oils should be a wonderful next step, that and more varied subjects to keep up the interest. Good luck to you with your new instructor! Don't be a stranger in here!

Stoy Jones
09-24-2004, 07:33 PM
Sandy, always...a big thankyou! :) I miss all of your fine works here and intend to keep visiting when I'm able!

E-J, my queen of speed! ;) :D So kind of you, thanks! I'm not completely gone...there's too much here to miss out on and learn from. Pastels and oils are different mediums, but I'm coming to find out that the act of "seeing" and "painting" what is in front of us is still quite the same in most respects. I have picked up so much here, I'll be hanging out and absorbing as well as observing and commenting. I did a demo of sorts for the Drawing forum on using pastel pencils for drawing, so perhaps I can squeeze in some time with the continued sketchthread more often in the near future.

I showed my wife your thread on your trip and she really enjoys your work for its color...take note of that, you have another fan :) but there is so much inspiration in this forum as a whole and so much to learn! I may be kept busy, but I intend to take advantage when I can! :D

Hey Sooz! Thanks so much and for the "good-lucks"...Glad to hear from you!

Stoy

Meldy
09-25-2004, 10:25 AM
I am late to congratulate, but CONGRATS! There is such a tremendous improvement in the two works. You wouldn't know it was the same artist. Your feeling for contours is getting so strong and your touch is sure and sensitive. These are the best rewards. I look forward to seeing where you are in another year. I bet you are so happy!

christmascarolnz
09-25-2004, 07:28 PM
Yo Stoy! Wazzzzuuupp? :wave:
Big difference in your painting style. It's interesting when we look back, to see how far we have jouneyed. You've done well.
Carol

Stoy Jones
09-27-2004, 01:10 AM
Meldy, thankyou very much! It is funny, I knew I did the first portrait, but it looks less familiar as I look at more recent stuff. It is like looking at old photographs and say "that can't be me!"..Lol! I sure hope I can say that next year. Pull out some of your earlier stuff and see what you think. :)

Carol, wazzzzuuupp! :D So glad to hear from you!..It has been some time. Hope all is well with you down there. Looking back on old work is fun, I recommend it to anyone! It puts our work in a new light and makes it easier to know what we still need and how far we've come. Thanks for looking in!

Stoy