PDA

View Full Version : "Odd Woman"

kelly
10-25-2001, 01:22 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2001/Odd_Woman.jpg

This is a 16 x 20 acylic painting done on stretched canvas..

kelly
10-25-2001, 11:51 PM
OK...Ladies...I wanna hear your thoughts on this painting...None of this PC backslapping BS..

timelady
10-26-2001, 07:54 AM
Okay you asked for it!

It's very flat - by that I mean lack of feeling rather than lack of depth. Most of yours have much more emotion or personality in them no matter how simple they are - this one just feels bland. I think the elements are just very stereotyped, the eyelashed eyes, lady red lips, curly hair twirls. Childlike but without that childlike enthusiasm. Hmm... and perhaps the white is too stark?

Do you feel it did what you wanted? Was it quite a strong image you wanted to project?

All meant with caring criticism. :) I've been very negative this week so if that comes across it's not towards you. Someone just needs to feed me chocolate I think. (I've got your doggie king on a little plinth of his own - ran out of wall space to hang!)

Tina.

diphascon
10-26-2001, 03:52 PM
hmmm .. only Ladies allowed ????

martin

kelly
10-26-2001, 04:50 PM
Im looking for comments from anyone and everyone. Just curious about what people think about this one.

I paint almost 100% with my imagination and intuition so my head, for better or worse, is an open book. And, I dont always know what Ive painted or even if I like it.

Tina, your remarks were pretty much the way I would describe it. Flat, not my usual out of control swirl of motion and color. I think i was going for a kind of "dead" feel to this painting...

Thanks for being so nice about your remarks...but seriously, any remarks are welcome.

kayemme
10-28-2001, 01:36 AM
kelly,

hmm...

well.... i understand the intentional flatness, but what i think would improve it is maybe a couple small spots of deep, intense painting to reiterate the purposefulness (sp) of the flatness.

also, the image is pretty central, compositionally i'm irritated...

however, if what you're looking for is irritation, then you've succeeded. i think most important with a piece like this is the need for other pieces like this: i.e. a series.

i'm curious to the conceptual outline of the work(s)... have anything for me?

yours,
k

kayemme
10-28-2001, 01:39 AM
i'd also like to add that the direction of the brushstrokes are way too uniform.

i, personally, believe that if you are going to do this style of work - which, by the way, i see nothing wrong with - then you have to give something else to it. variations in brushtrokes or maybe using a knife, or eliminating brushtrokes all together.

i guess this doesn't convince me enough of intention...

more later?

k :)

kelly
10-28-2001, 10:06 AM
Kayemme....LOL...I irritated you with my composition...Probably most people find alot more than that to be irritated at with my stuff.

The question i would ask is does that take you further down the road with this painting or do you walk away immediately without further investigation of it?

kelly
10-28-2001, 10:08 AM
FYI...Probably cant see it but I did use a knife on over half of the painting...Thanks for looking.

kayemme
10-28-2001, 12:01 PM
kelly,

as you may know about me by now :) irritated isn't normally a bad thing; if something irritates me, i usually want to know why i'm bothered, however, this piece leaves me very uninterested.

i say this with viewing it on-line, where i can't get any textures or true colour variations... i'd love to see some details if you can score them...

if there were a series of works like this, i may be more interested in investing the time to question it. as for now, i find that it doesn't quite sing for me....

i do like the offbeat insertion of numbers on the hat, but it's so "witch-like" i find it almost cliché; which isn't such a big deal on its own right if you push it far enough. if you're gonna do cliché, then DO IT all the way...

it's not that i hate it, i just find it could use a bigger push into one direction to convey the concept behind it (whatever it is, as it stands, it's unclear).

:)

k

kelly
10-28-2001, 12:11 PM
Thanks for your comments Kayemme..

colorme
10-28-2001, 06:06 PM
the flatness looks alright, and the numbers on the hat look interesting. I like this one.

diphascon
10-29-2001, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by kelly
Men, dogs and Cats - Im looking for comments from anyone and everyone.

Thanks for being so nice about your remarks...but seriously, any remarks are welcome.

well, assuming I´m one of these ..

a triangle, an ellipse, a rectangle. A centered in-line arrangement. Intersting brushstroke patterns. The colors not too crips, however.

Not quite alot to make me look twice, thrice ...

just my 2 dpf

martin